What's Your 10 Second Info Grab?

Thinking about this after the thread on breed misidentification.

When I'm out walking or at an Aggie show where the punters are walking around I sometimes get asked what my dogs are. I say they are Salukis and if I get a blank look then I say "You know how greyhounds are the sprinters of the dog world? Well, Salukis are the cross country runners". That usually keeps people happy. I occasionally resort to "greyhounds with ponytails" when talking to kids, but as a smooth owner I always feel a bit guilty about that shorthand.

So what's your quick explanation? I have learned to keep it really short, as attention spans are short, and given many peoples issues with all things Arab, I don't get into the country of origin unless the person clearly wants to chat. Weirdly enough there is something about the name that makes many people think they are Japanese.

EFS

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an easy one, really, with a toy poodle. Though I do seem to often be clarifying that she's not a teacup, and that actually there's really no such THING as a teacup poodle or pom or anything else. Sometimes I get the 'oh.. a .. poodle.. *insert eyeroll*' thing, to which I just reply 'yep! isn't she great?' :D And a few times I've been asked whether poodles are "prissy", or as "prissy as they seem to be". I'd love to know what that's supposed to actually MEAN ... I just say no, in the same way you'd say no to someone who asked you whether you like to torture animals. :laugh:

Thankfully I do get a lot of people saying "oh wow, you never really see pure poodles around these days" or things to that effect :thumbsup:

For Lapphund - "A Finnish version of the Border Collie, but they herd reindeer instead of sheep".

For Keeshond - "A watchdog for the river boats in Holland".

That's it. I keep it simple. I find people who want to know more will ask - the majority don't care for the finer details! :)

I have a GSD X Meremma. He looks GSD in every way possible, except his ears. They are floppy, he looks like the flying nun lol. So I get the "meremma?????" I just say they are the big white dogs you see out in paddocks with livestock. "ohhhhhh..... *blank stare*.... Well.... He's cute...." *walks away* and I have a 10 week old Great Dane, which ive only gotten "oh how much dose she eat?" "hope you've got a saddle for her!" "my dog is probably just a snack for her!" which I've replied "she eats no more than any pup her age" "im sure I could ride her bare back" and "no, she isn't a cannibal..." pfft! Lol

People ask if Kirah is a Silky Terrier. I say she's an Aussie Terrier, which are far more awesome than the Silky!! :laugh:

When I was bringing her home from her breeder, a person asked if she was a Chihuahua. :eek:

Zeus always gets: "is he a Beagle?"

Me: "Nope. Apparently there's JRT in him too but I just see loveable goofball!!!"

Edited to say: People also ask if the Aussie Terrier is actually an Aussie breed and seem quite surprised when I tell them yes they were developed in Australia and Kirah is Australian owned and made. That one usually gets a laugh!!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

For my Cardigan Corgi girl;

Yes she is a purebred; there are two types of Corgi, Pembrokes, like the Queen owns, and cardigans, which are bigger, more laid back in temperament, and come in a wider range of colours!

and to the inevitable, 'Oh, I thought Corgis were nippy and aggressive...'

Well, they can be, but they are a cattle herding bred, and bred to have enough will and determination to enable a dog of their size to move around hundreds of kilo of cattle. Wouldn't you be nippy if people tried to treat you like a cute lap dog?

"sheepdog"

If pressed - "a short-haired Australian version of a border collie" :)

Although I've found almost every Australian knows what a kelpie is, and almost no-one from any other nationality does (maybe except for NZ).

Well it takes 10 seconds to say 'she's a nova scotia duck tolling retriever' :laugh: usually followed closely by 'yes I'm serious that is what they are called!!!'

haaa

:laugh:

It is a mouthful though!

"They're like the Maremma from Italy

except my dogs are from Turkey and Central Asia "

(in response to blank stares I list Kazakh, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan ... if all else fails I say old USSR satellite countries).

In the absence comprehension about the Maremma analogy

I describe the dogs as guard dogs that guard - not herd - the cows, goats sheep etc.

Edited by lilli

"Borzoi"

"B...O...R...Z..O..I"

"Russia"

"Hunting"

"wolves, foxes and hares"

"Yep, wolves"

"No, that's the Irish Wolfhound, these ones come in lots of different colours"

"yes, very fast"

"no, she hasn't had a bath for a month, she just looks like that"

Edited by Diva