What's Your 10 Second Info Grab?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people know the dobermann, but we normally get

"I thought Dobermanns only came in black",

So my info grab is that they come in four colours

Omg i didnt even know they came in 4 colours!!, im only familiar with two, what are the other two?

The other two (I'm thinking you've seen the browns?) are blue and isabella which is a fawn colour. The blues have terrible skin problems as a general rule, so not very popular.

aaaaa the fawn ones would be awesome!! (maybe)

Both fawns and blues can get colour dilution alopecia (CDA) which makes them go bald. There is a genetic test for colour now so most responsible breeders choose not to produce the dilutes... Puppy buyers *think* having a "rare" blue/fawn is awesome... Until it goes bald!

rebelmajor1a.jpg

137149619_386a93ae74.jpg?v=0

Hahah well I did not know this either, the colour is awesome but not at the expense of an illness.. :) cheers i learnt something new :thumbsup:

Today a lady came up at a show and said "Pardon my ignorance, but are they Borzoi?" :eek:

My answer "That's not ignorant at all!! Yes they are indeed!!" It is amazing when people know, just lovely. :)

And she even knew plural for Borzoi is NOT Borzois!! Even more :eek:

Normally get asked "Oh, are they miniature collies"

Me: No they are Shetland Sheepdogs

OP: Ohh

Me: From the Shetland Islands, like Shetland ponies

You normally then get the "must take hours of brushing" No only about 20 minutes once a week.

Love some of the replies :laugh:

Today a lady came up at a show and said "Pardon my ignorance, but are they Borzoi?" :eek:

My answer "That's not ignorant at all!! Yes they are indeed!!" It is amazing when people know, just lovely. :)

As a bit of a dog nerd (like most of us here :laugh:) I do get a kick out of recognising a not so common breed, the owners are always so chuffed :)

I once met a cream coloured Schipperke didn't know that is what it was at the time, and it was over sized by quite a bit and had a tail. I checked it out for ages and couldn't put my finger on what it was. I wondered if it was a German Spitz but didn't think they would be quite that big either.

In the end (after being there a good hour or so and trying to figure it out) I asked him if his dog was maybe German Spitz? He said no Schipperke but was soo excited I knew it was for one a Spitz type and secondly that is was not a cross breed. When I apologised for getting the breed wrong he said no no that is fine I am amazed someone even knew he was a breed of some type.

I cam home and researched some more :)

Them... What breed is that ???

Me... A Basenji

Them... A what... ???

Me ... A B a s e n j i

Them... Ohhhh, what do they do ???

Me... They are an African hunting dog. These are the dogs who dont bark ???

Them... Blank look, followed by... Arent they too small to hunt ??? Dont bark ???

Me... Well they dont bring lions and tigers to the ground, (sigh), they help push the game into nets. They are carried around the necks of the hunters, till the last minute, then they chase the game into the nets so the hunters have their dinner !!!

Them... Ohhh, (as they walk off clearly not thinking I have my facts wrong !!! :) )...

As a bit of a dog nerd (like most of us here :laugh:) I do get a kick out of recognising a not so common breed, the owners are always so chuffed :)

I do too

I was at a dog show and walked up to a lady and asked "May I pat your lagotto?" she replied with "No he isn't a labra.. Sorry, Yes he is a Lagotto and you can pat him all you like" :laugh:

--Lhok

I do too

I was at a dog show and walked up to a lady and asked "May I pat your lagotto?" she replied with "No he isn't a labra.. Sorry, Yes he is a Lagotto and you can pat him all you like" :laugh:

--Lhok

:laugh: :laugh: That's awesome!!

strange person: why did you shave your collie

Me: I didnt she is a collie smooth

SP: that isnt a real breed

Me oh yes it is

SP walks off shaking head

SP: What sort of dog is that

Me: A collie smooth

SP: A what?

Me: Lassie with short hair.

Most people know the dobermann, but we normally get

"I thought Dobermanns only came in black",

So my info grab is that they come in four colours

Omg i didnt even know they came in 4 colours!!, im only familiar with two, what are the other two?

The other two (I'm thinking you've seen the browns?) are blue and isabella which is a fawn colour. The blues have terrible skin problems as a general rule, so not very popular.

aaaaa the fawn ones would be awesome!! (maybe)

Both fawns and blues can get colour dilution alopecia (CDA) which makes them go bald. There is a genetic test for colour now so most responsible breeders choose not to produce the dilutes... Puppy buyers *think* having a "rare" blue/fawn is awesome... Until it goes bald!

rebelmajor1a.jpg

137149619_386a93ae74.jpg?v=0

There's my new fact for the day I had no idea the blue and fawn Dobes had such a reputation for skin issues! I have always found the fawns lovely and wondered in passing why they aren't bred more often. Now I know!

A lady at the park once asked if Zeke (photo in sig) was 'A Doberman with a tail' which made me smile, I thought to myself 'She must never have seen an actual red Dobe before!'

Yes, they can do tricks: Bluey does Sit, and Speak, and Drop. Miffy does Stand There And Look Beautiful.

:rofl: I MUST remember that!

Bye, thankyou for having such lovely manners with my dogs, they really enjoyed meeting you.

Where on earth are you meeting children that ask first? And could you send some my way please? :)

Point me in the direction of a thread with photos of Miffy and Bluey? :)

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf