Blacktown Pound Compulsory Desexing

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he isn't one of the ones opposing it.

Blacktown council really need a big shake up, perhaps if they get the enquiry into the dodgy cash given to the interpreter ,recently in the news, that they will look further into their dealings :mad

A P.I female, beautiful dog, great condition, came into an animal facility Friday afternoon, not desexed. On Saturday first thing in the morning she was bought. This person clearly did not spend time to get to know her. He even complained about the cost of buying her, to staff. He Walked straight passed this dog, when he went looking at other dogs, he did not say a word to this girl even though he was buying her. He told staff that his male dog (same breed) was desexed, Hmm... Not once did he show affection when picking her up, she gets into the car with her tail between her legs. I asked if he had tested his dog with this dog, he told me his dog gets along with every dog.

I wonder, if Alan Pendleton had already brought in compulsory desexing, would this person have bought this dog, or walked straight passed her?

I felt sick to my stomach. :cry:

Would have been perfect for them to have watched the whole ordeal! She was such a beautiful girl, and deserves so much better!

One of the Blacktown councillors is a vet... is he for or against the idea? If he is "for" it, maybe he could be persuaded to do some of the work at a discount rate through his clinic?

T.

I've been asked to post this -

Cr Dr Russ Dickens is a vet and and he supports compulsory desexing, always has. He does discount desexing for rescue groups. However, he cannot do desexing for the pound as that would be a conflict of interest.

A number of vets have already been approached, and agreed, to provide discount desexing for the pound. The mechanics of introducing compulsory desexing are fairly straight forward - the only thing that has stopped it happening so far is the continual refusal by Pendleton to bring about its implementation. And you have to ask yourself why? What's in it for him? Why block a decision that is morally and ethically correct, that will benefit the community, and will provide protection for the dogs and cats against bybs? What's the hidden agenda? Hopefully next week, the other councillors will be able to stand their ground and vote according to their conscience, and not be coerced or bullied by party politics.

This council is a disgrace....Pendleton is the one that says that his dog is not desexed & why shouldn't people have a choice if they have their dogs undesexed or desexed.....but he isn't concerned about where these dogs end up....as he says he has a puppy farm next door to him (with a smile on his face)....what is the big deal....well Pendleton if we had mandatory desexing then these dogs would be safe from neighbors like yours & other puppy farmers who exploit these dogs & make plenty of money out of it.....somebody is taking handouts somewhere along the line.....money speaks a lot of languages.....so please come to this meeting on the 2nd May & show Pendleton & his labour cronies that we are there to protect these animals from anymore inhumane treated from irresponsible people.....let the council know that it is their responsibility to do the right thing....OPTION 2... :thumbsup:

In the general scheme of things, I believe that owners of dogs should be allowed the discretion whether/when to desex their pets or not... however... I also believe that pounds should be setting the best example by desexing all animals adopted out from them.

T.

I've heard along the grapevine (so who knows if truth or not) that people intend wearing some kind of t-shirt to the meeting?

Not sure if is a dig at the mayor shirt etc

I do know 2 of the ppl on the Animal companion Board for Blacktown, and they are worried that any bad behaviour from the floor could

be enough to have the Mayor dismiss the committee. So whoever attends need to be adult and professional about it.

I've heard along the grapevine (so who knows if truth or not) that people intend wearing some kind of t-shirt to the meeting?

The last I heard, it would be more of a 'plug for desexing' kind of t shirt - not a 'bag the mayor' kind of t shirt.

The last I heard, it would be more of a 'plug for desexing' kind of t shirt - not a 'bag the mayor' kind of t shirt.

Not sure it is a good idea. Feel free to ring the person I know on the animal companion committee, she has known council for

longer then anyone who has attended the meetings. If she says it may piss them off, then for me that would be enough

to put a stop to it happening. Why even jeapordise a possible victory?

Not sure it is a good idea. Feel free to ring the person I know on the animal companion committee, she has known council for

longer then anyone who has attended the meetings. If she says it may piss them off, then for me that would be enough

I don't know the person with the t shirt idea - that's just what I've been told. It was a FB thing, so don't know if it's gone ahead or not.

I don't know the person with the t shirt idea - that's just what I've been told. It was a FB thing, so don't know if it's gone ahead or not.

If u tell me on FB where it was I will go in and say something.

If u tell me on FB where it was I will go in and say something.

Please do. The last thing we need are idiotic, overzealous people causing a scene.

How do we arrive at idiotic and overzealous people, from someone who has an idea to do up t shirts that support compulsory desexing. It was an idea they had - don't even know if it is going ahead.

An email has been sent to one of the committee members with t shirt person's contact details. If she wants to contact him, it's over to her.

I've received the following -

Good News! Tim Vasudeva (CEO AWL) and Steve Coleman (CEO RSPCA) have sent a joint submission to Blacktown Council saying that their organisations will assist Blacktown Council with the desexing of dogs and cats sold by the pound should the numbers exceed the capacity that Council has currently. They will assist with desexing resources, but only if they are required.

Tim will be one of the keynote speakers at the public forum at Council's meeting next Wednesday, May 2nd. The public forum is held at the start of the meeting.

Council's Agenda for that meeting is now up on their website under Business Papers (http://bcc.yarratech.com/EBP%20BlackTown/bccwebpapr.nsf/Public?OpenFrameSet ). The Policy Committee's recommendation regarding desexing, comes in as number 6, under Item 10, where all Council's various committees report in.

People are permitted to come and go from the gallery, so you could arrive later (but would miss the public forum), except it will be difficult to judge the time, since sometimes things move quickly. We can all leave once the Policy Committee's recommendation to adopt compulsory/mandatory desexing has either been adopted or rejected.

Here is what Council will have before them to consider:

PO1556

SL320041 - Options for Desexing and Pricing Structure for animals rehomed from Council’s Animal Holding Facility 117-262-1

RECOMMENDATION (Tyrrell/Bilic)

1. That Council adopt Option 2 for the mandatory desexing of animals sold from Council's Animal Holding Facility as provided in paragraph 12(a) of this report.

2. That the Policy provided at Attachment 2 titled Mandatory Desexing Policy be adopted by Council and be advertised.

3. That the pricing schedule provided at Attachment 3 (Option 2 - Mandatory Desexing) be adopted by Council.

4. That Council Officers formalise arrangements with the University of Sydney to progress the payment for desexing services for animals sold from the AHF and formalise an arrangements with local veterinarians to provide veterinary services for animals sold from the AHF as identified in this report.

5. That a letter of appreciation be forwarded to Dr Deniston Stewart for his assistance in providing information relevant to this Report.

6. That mandatory desexing initially operate for a trial period of 12 months from implementation to enable a evaluation of financial impact and the impact on euthanasing rates and a report be presented to Council for consideration at the end of the trial period.

Edited by Mila's Mum