Zoo Photos

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I think a few of us like to do them here, so I thought I'd start a thread. I am currently going through and editing a lot so thought I'd post some of my favourites.

This is one I took a while ago at Taronga, a Baboon. I find it hard to get good photos of them as they are a rather 'ugly' monnkey so it's a challenge to get good ones of them. I might get more now that Melbourne has finally updated their dreadful enclosure.

p1003580878-4.jpg

This is a baby chimp with his mum. I got loads from this session and have up to 50 images still worth going through! Melbourne doesn't have chimps so I tried to get tons from my sydney trip.

p217204521-4.jpg

My first image of a Ring Tailed Lemur. Their enclosures aren't great at Melbourne so hard to get any close ups, and this one is from Taronga.

p818477679-4.jpg

Puma from Melbourne Zoo. I think they only have one left now.

p245403880-4.jpg

Lioness

4.jpg

Gorilla baby & Mum

4.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32

I don't mind sharing tips, I just find it hard because it really depends on the image. I guess for the chimp one as an example, I THINK I used a preset in Lightroom as a starting point (400), then added a layer in photoshop (solid black) and brought back the image slowly using the history brush.

The Lioness, I converted to B&W and played with the levels, and also put an overlay of a texture on it in photoshop.

So yep, just depends. I ditch any photo where it's an obvious zoo shot that I can't edit (like a fence in the way) etc, and any photo where the animal looks awkward (tongue half out or something, heh).

I love the baby chimp and gorilla ones the most. I always remember that photo you posted of the mother gorilla and baby. You showed the original and the edited version, it was a fantastic example of how editing can improve a photo and make something that would almost have been a throw away (because of the big pile of poo) into something truely beautiful.

Zoo photography is totally your thing, Tess. You are so very good at it.

I am so not a zoo photographer :laugh: But I did visit Australia Zoo with Ollie a couple of weeks ago. My photography style leans more towards documentary style, so that's what you get here :o

This reminds me so much of newborn photography :laugh:

6959087098_f2d73b6e05_z.jpg

Brolga

6959086908_cf34ec764c_z.jpg

Rolling with reflection

7105155955_d3b01fe282_z.jpg

Ollie and the roo

6959086542_e83c9498fa_z.jpg

Goat

7105155585_837385bd5f_z.jpg

Reading

7105155395_4e4932281a_z.jpg

And just because...

6923056120_89b954537e_z.jpg

Guest Tess32

Beautiful pics. Have you shown the zoo?- I know I would :)

Yeah kinda. The keepers know about me and the zoo officials know that I do sell them.