Zoo Photos

Guest Tess32

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32

That Mandrill always makes me laugh, as my best photo of him, that's been published in mags and everything, I got because he was um....having some FUN with *himself* and so I got a great expression, lol.

I'm also happy to critique if anyone wants any :)

Yep please..

I would love to know how to make them better (or me a better photographer)...

My stuff is not edited in anyway as I don't have anything to do it with.. I did have an old version of photoshop but I can't find the rego code to load it onto the new laptop...

So I will have to go buy something to play around with - any suggestions (I never really got the hang of photoshop, so figure it is more program than I need)...

Guest Tess32

Yep please..

My stuff is not edited in anyway as I don't have anything to do it with.. I did have an old version of photoshop but I can't find the rego code to load it onto the new laptop...

So I will have to go buy something to play around with - any suggestions (I never really got the hang of photoshop, so figure it is more program than I need)...

Lightroom is the best program IMO.

I like your Otter ones, nice and sharp.

I would crop the giraffe image so you don't get any fencing in it.

I would probably ditch the Koala image because there's no eye in it at all, but...it is also kinda cute. It definitely needs to be lightened up, as it's a stop or two underexposed. Same with the Capuchin monkey, they just need some 'levels' adjustments.

:)

Yep please..

Lightroom is the best program IMO.

I like your Otter ones, nice and sharp.

I would crop the giraffe image so you don't get any fencing in it.

I would probably ditch the Koala image because there's no eye in it at all, but...it is also kinda cute. It definitely needs to be lightened up, as it's a stop or two underexposed. Same with the Capuchin monkey, they just need some 'levels' adjustments.

Thanks, it is always nice to have it explained -what I can do to improve...

I am going to make a trip to the zoo in a few weeks and hopefully get some great shots to work with...

I will look at Lightroom on the weekend.. It is what I thought when reading what is available...

Thanks again, much appreciated..

Guest Tess32

Feel free to critique mine please Tess! :)

I think the Mandrill shot is great, except for the colour. I can't quite figure it out, you can't tell if it's meant to be B&W or selective colouring etc, so in that shot I'd bring back the real colouring (as their colour is also what is great about them).

First Tiger shot has a fence, I ditch them.

Second Tiger shot I LOVE, it's great, great composition.

Nice pose with the Lemur, whites are a bit blown out though. I'd be darkening that background so their eyes stand out.

Snow Leopard same as Tiger....when there are bars in view, I ditch.

Otter shot is lovely, I'd do some selective adjustments on just his/her face, it's a bit dark.

Guest Tess32

You can critique any of my photos any time you like Tess32... any pointers are good pointers IMHO...

T.

Lion shot is good...I have a VERY similar one actually! I think it's a different Lion though.

Good capture with the giraffe, also is a bit underexposed so needs some levels adjustments.

Feel free to critique mine please Tess! :)

I think the Mandrill shot is great, except for the colour. I can't quite figure it out, you can't tell if it's meant to be B&W or selective colouring etc, so in that shot I'd bring back the real colouring (as their colour is also what is great about them).

First Tiger shot has a fence, I ditch them.

Second Tiger shot I LOVE, it's great, great composition.

Nice pose with the Lemur, whites are a bit blown out though. I'd be darkening that background so their eyes stand out.

Snow Leopard same as Tiger....when there are bars in view, I ditch.

Otter shot is lovely, I'd do some selective adjustments on just his/her face, it's a bit dark.

:thanks: !!

Appreciate it and will take it all on board! :D

Guest Tess32

Sure Snook :)

Giraffe - It's a good expression but the background is too busy. You could try blurring it but don't ask me how, I've never been good at doing natural looking background blurs in editing.

Lioness - I like it a lot, love the composition.

Lion - Stay away from sepia in these kinds of shots...sepia doesn't suit an 'action' shot, you have to be really selective where you use it. I hardly have ANY because it doesn't suit many shots. I think the creamier sepia tones go better too. It's not a bad shot, but the background is a bit busy.

Gibbon - I like this, good pose, seem to have eye contact. I would edit out the ropes on the tree and lighten up his head a little.

Dusky Leaf Monkeys - I like how it is backlit but yep, edit the fence out. I'd also lighten up the second monkey's face.

You can critique any of my photos any time you like Tess32... any pointers are good pointers IMHO...

T.

Lion shot is good...I have a VERY similar one actually! I think it's a different Lion though.

Good capture with the giraffe, also is a bit underexposed so needs some levels adjustments.

Seeing as I have absolutely no idea about and haven't ever done any post processing apart from letting Easy Thumbnails do some auto sharpening when resizing images for the web - the latest Zoo pics haven't had any post processing at all - how would I go about making photos like my giraffe better?

I only have PaintShop Pro 9 and limited funds barring me from purchasing anything better at the moment... but could probably find a not quite legal copy of other software if needed... errr!

T.

Guest Tess32

Most programs, even the free ones, will allow you to adjust brightness and contrast, which is what would help :)