I Don't Know What Or How To Feed Anymore :(

Issy

I am desperate for some advice in regards to my Cavalier who is a very fussy eater. Recently he's been put on single protein source diet of fish(dry kibble) and I can' get him to eat it! I put in tuna and he'll lick off a few pieces and leave it as it is - only twice he finished a bowl, I had to soak the kibble and then add a fair amount of tuna to it and he ate it then. So we go for 4-5 days without eating until he is starving and have a bowl, then wont eat again for another 4-5 days.....

He is on Taste of the Wild at the moment and it isn't just the brand, he wont eat any dry food at all, yes I've tried many :(

Two weeks have gone by and he's had a total of maybe 3 small bowls of food. Looking at him today he seems to have lost a little weight but nothing major. He needs to be on this diet for another 4 weeks but at this rate it is hard to know if he is allergic to the product since he eats such a small amount I can't tell. Thought I would try and get some advice here before taking him back to the vet (especially when it comes to food).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Perhaps you need to try mixing in something that is thicker and makes it harder to pick out the kibble. Holistic Select have a fish based wet food in a can. You could try mixing some of that through the kibble. I do that with my little dog - mix it with the Taste of the Wild fish kibble and he loves it.

I am desperate for some advice in regards to my Cavalier who is a very fussy eater. Recently he's been put on single protein source diet of fish(dry kibble) and I can' get him to eat it! I put in tuna and he'll lick off a few pieces and leave it as it is - only twice he finished a bowl, I had to soak the kibble and then add a fair amount of tuna to it and he ate it then. So we go for 4-5 days without eating until he is starving and have a bowl, then wont eat again for another 4-5 days.....

He is on Taste of the Wild at the moment and it isn't just the brand, he wont eat any dry food at all, yes I've tried many :(

Two weeks have gone by and he's had a total of maybe 3 small bowls of food. Looking at him today he seems to have lost a little weight but nothing major. He needs to be on this diet for another 4 weeks but at this rate it is hard to know if he is allergic to the product since he eats such a small amount I can't tell. Thought I would try and get some advice here before taking him back to the vet (especially when it comes to food).

If he has to be on this food, is there any reason why you cant blend the dry mix in a food processor and then soak it until it is the consistency to be able to syringe feed him slowly. You dont want him to struggle or gag on it at all.

Can you add flaked white fish, sardines, any other type of fish at all?

How old is the cavy. Does he have any mouth issues at all which make it hard for him to eat?

Just a few suggestions to throw around.

My little man Airedale terrier won't touch dry food, I feed raw he loves chicken wings, chicken carcus, necks and his patties and of course his brisket bones .. Do you have to feed dry food? I'm actually glad my guy didn't as I prefer raw food ..

What about mixing some sardines in to get him to eat it? Sardines give my dog diarrhoea but I used to feed my foster greyhound a tin every few days when he needed condition put on him - he LOVED them. In fact, I've never met a dog that didn't love sardines. Perhaps even mixing the oil or brine or juice in with the dry food might make your cavvy eat, even if he doesn't eat the actual fish?

We've has allergy problems for the past 6 months or so, every couple of months we got to the vet, he gets antibiotics and meds to help with the itching. The first vet I went to was sort of hopeless - after 3-4 months she didn't do anything besides giving him meds and told me just to give him a claritin every day. She also told me to try a few diet changes but nothing specific, so I had him on a plain beef, lamb and rice for awhile and it didn't clear. I also did raw chicken necks (he loves those) but the allergies were the most severe at this point and I'm quite sure he can't do chicken.

I went to a new vet a couple of weeks ago and he seems much better, we started on antibiotics again and meds to help with itching. He told me to start him on a single source protein diet of fish(he stated that dogs are rarely allergic to fish) and come back after 6 weeks. He recommended Royal Canine FP formula but unfortunately it is discontinued so I did research and found Taste of the Wild to be the same and that one has no grains. I don't think he does well with rice so I thought that'd be a better alternative.

Yes I've tried to mush it and add tuna, that is the only time he has eaten it, problem is he still wont eat it until he gets to a point of starvation. Tonight I added sardines, he sniffed and licked it a little and left it as it is.

..you said he vomited after starting this food ..perhaps his body is telling him NOT to eat it .Will he eat fresh fish /sardines ,mixed with brown rice and a little veg?

Yes he did so once, but it didn't happen again. I haven't tried fresh fish, I could but I just wanted to do as the vet says. Will he get all the nutrients he needs by just eating sardines and some vege's though? I'm willing to do anything at this point to be honest.

My toy poodle was the same for a little bit, I got some plain natural yoghurt and mixed her kibble through it and she ate. Not sure if you can use it if you have special diet restrictions but if you can could work

I was told not to give him anything, no treats/snacks while on the diet. He loves yogurt but I am unsure whether this will ruin the testing.

We don't often post links to VAN info but have a read here http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=69

If you can't get success with what your vet has suggested consider the skin program next. Perhaps what he has been eating has been upsetting his tummy too? Hence the hesitation to eat. Allergies are closely related to gut health.

I would actually make an appointment and see your new vet. For an elimination diet you need a novel protein - but there is nothing to say that it has to be in the form of kibble - if you think that your dog would eat fish then I would be tempted to go natural - chat with your vet about this. You could use fish and veggies.

Yes I was going to give VAN a go once the testing was over but it seems I may have to try it earlier if he keeps this up. The map is not working for me so I can't see the retailers, can I get it a Petbarn? if not I can order it online as well.

Unfortunately it isn't just his skin. Eyes get swollen red and ooze really badly. I have to clean them with saline several times a day when it gets really bad. He also gets rashes under the belly and has bald patches from biting/itching all over.

He is 3 yrs old sorry missed that question earlier.

Can you mix the fish with brown rice and veggies? I cook up turkey mince with rice and veggies regularly and my dogs can't get enough of it. You could also use or add potatoes and some oats?

I know he's young but is there any chance he has a sore mouth?

Edited by dogmad

You aren't feeding a true elimination diet with your choice of dry. Stick to a single protein and single carb only (check with your vet as some need fat or b vitamin supplement) ...they need to be ingredients you haven't fed before....for 8 weeks then you go back to old diet. Each week keep a record of how you think she is going....I did 8 weeks with no sign of improvement so it was clear diet wasn't the cause of.my pups skin issues.

The dry (even allergy formula) have too many ingredients that can still cause reaction...if you can't do home made they are an option but nay not rule out diet issues according to my dogs

dermatologist.

Beef is one of the worst food for allergies.

What exactly where you feeding before ??

Do you have any plants that could be a issue??

Was he a fussy eater before the diet change ??

Has his tonsils been checked