Dangerous Dog Laws

Rebbecca

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anydog can be dangerous - so I hope cute photos aren't your defense.

If the Banddog a restricted breed in your state? If it is well then it's pretty black and white?

Why would a cute photo be my defense.... :(

I know any dog can be dangerous, as my last dog was a pitbull... Although she wasn't declared dangerous.

Well obviously its not black and white therefor i have asked other opinions. No a bandogge is not restricted in qld... They are frowned apon at times.

I have done the right thing, and I have registered rocksteady as the exact breed he is. Previous to this I have not even had the ranger been near my dogs for anything.

Yesterday we had the local council ranger come past our place, with a piece of paper, declaring rocksteady a dangerous dog.

They have given us no explanation as to why.

Have you asked why he was declared dangerous?

Seems strange they would just slap you with that order without an explanation.

Do you think its possible that someone near you could have had an incident with a white bull looking breed and reported it to council? they may have gone through their records and come up with your dog and put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

When you registered him did you register him as a Bandogge? or is he registered as a Mastiff X?

Either that or perhaps someone has it in for your dog for some reason or another? possibly he may have barked at them through the fence or something and they have blown the issue out of proportion? There's no telling what someone could say or do If they decide they don't like a dog that lives near them.

He just looks like your average Bully mix to me. I wouldn't call him "Dangerous" on looks, then again People call my dog Dangerous on his "Breed"and "looks"tonnes of times, so just because you cant think of an incident... might be worth thinking about have you ever had an altercation with anyone that lives near you... over anything, not necessarily involving your dog, because If you don't know of any incident I cant think of a reason why you would get a Dangerous Dog Declaration for "Nothing" out of the Blue.

If the Banddog a restricted breed in your state? If it is well then it's pretty black and white?

I know any dog can be dangerous, as my last dog was a pitbull... Although she wasn't declared dangerous.

Well obviously its not black and white therefor i have asked other opinions. No a bandogge is not restricted in qld... They are frowned apon at times.

I have done the right thing, and I have registered rocksteady as the exact breed he is. Previous to this I have not even had the ranger been near my dogs for anything.

The problem is that bandog isn't a purebreed. It is a type of dog that might be a pitbull cross, or might be some other type of cross. Pitbull crosses are restricted in Queensland. Your dog looks more like a pitbull or amstaff than it does either a bullmastiff or a neo mastiff, and its extreme white markings means that neither parent is very likely to be a purebreed bull mastiff. If you can get copies of the papers that show the breeding of the parents and grandparents, and can back it up with DNA evidence, then you can show that your dog isn't part pitbull. Council is not going to accept a verbal explanation of a dog's breeding. If you don't have evidence, they will decide on the breed by his looks.

In QLD, some breeds are restricted, but they are not declared dangerous. There is a difference.

Unless you can tell us what was written on the piece of paper given to you, nobody really knows why your dog was declared dangerous or what your next step should be. One thing for sure, it doesn't matter to the council how the dog behaves He could be the nicest, most placid dog in the world, and that won't affect the council's decision at all. Either he will be restricted because of his breed, or declared dangerous because of a particular incident.

Have you contacted your dogs breeder, to see what evidence they might have about the dog's breeding?

Ah thank you gill ear.... There is my man, see so placid looking, he is more docile than anything.

And he has Bullmastiff in him???? Seriously?

Dont know why you are surprised he has Mastiff in him. My boy in my avatar, was a Neo Mastiff X APBT. I can see Mastiff in that boy, he is beautiful.

Don't get snarky at me.

If it isn't a banned breed then I suggest like others have suggested and you get a lawyer.

Ok, so we have had an update from the local council, on what's going on....

So the piece of paper says DANGEROUS not restricted.

Both his parents have been declared dangerous, as the mum got out and half mauled another dog... That's not unusual for the mother as she is a bitch like that. The dad who is like rocksteady has been declared as dangerous aswell. They have done a cull on the puppies, therefor we got a notice aswell....

It has been said that there is pitbull in them, by the owner of the dog that got mauled. As they live in the same street ect, and have for a number of years.

We know the mother is a pure bred bullmastiff, as she has papers.... The dad was brought from a stud, I won't say the name on hear, incase I'm unable too... And is a neo mastiff x amstaff...

Why rocksteady came out white none of us know. Out Of 8 pups, he was the only one. All the others came out normal.

When I registered rocksteady, I registered him, as a bullmastiff x bandogge. I didn't lie on the papers.

I also checked with the council before registering him.

I haven't seen any other bullmastiffs in our area, and most of our street know rocksteady pretty well, and often say hello on there way past. He doesn't really bark at anything, more at his tennis balls, when they bounce away from him.

Rocksteady isn't the smartest dog on earth... And really is docile... I wouldn't say he couldn't be dangerous, because all dogs can be, but he is just too babied,.

My last two dogs, that passed away, we're a pitbull, and a bull terrier, but never had the problem with them with council, state laws, as it was in Victoria... Well before the laws and restrictions came into place.

Greatdanerescue, I can see where you were coming from, I wasn't going by a picture... As there is a chihuahua across the road who has too have a warning sign on the fence because it is a nasty little bugger....

Both his parents have been declared dangerous, as the mum got out and half mauled another dog... That's not unusual for the mother as she is a bitch like that. The dad who is like rocksteady has been declared as dangerous aswell. They have done a cull on the puppies, therefor we got a notice aswell....

It has been said that there is pitbull in them, by the owner of the dog that got mauled. As they live in the same street ect, and have for a number of years.

We know the mother is a pure bred bullmastiff, as she has papers.... The dad was brought from a stud, I won't say the name on hear, incase I'm unable too... And is a neo mastiff x amstaff...

Why rocksteady came out white none of us know. Out Of 8 pups, he was the only one. All the others came out normal.

When I registered rocksteady, I registered him, as a bullmastiff x bandogge. I didn't lie on the papers.

I haven't seen any other bullmastiffs in our area, and most of our street know rocksteady pretty well, and often say hello on there way past. He doesn't really bark at anything, more at his tennis balls, when they bounce away from him.

Rocksteady isn't the smartest dog on earth... And really is docile... I wouldn't say he couldn't be dangerous, because all dogs can be, but he is just too babied,.

My last two dogs, that passed away, we're a pitbull, and a bull terrier, but never had the problem with them with council, state laws, as it was in Victoria... Well before the laws and restrictions came into place.

Greatdanerescue, I can see where you were coming from, I wasn't going by a picture... As there is a chihuahua across the road who has too have a warning sign on the fence because it is a nasty little bugger....

What sort of papers does the mother have? Did you see the pedigree papers or did they tell you that they have "papers". The father is from a stud? He's a crossbred dog! I don't know of any "stud" who would be selling crossbred sires...

Guest donatella

Don't get snarky at me.

If it isn't a banned breed then I suggest like others have suggested and you get a lawyer.

How rude are you! And offensive and the snarky one.

Rebbeca whilst I can't help you direct I hope rocksteady is safe, hes gorgeous :heart:

So they are declaring your dog because his parents attacked another dog?

I am not wel versed in the QLD legislation, only

NSW, but there is no way you could

Declare a dog in NSW based on that and from memory of looking through the QLD legisllation it was similar. I would find it very hard to believe that what they are doing is as per the Act.

You will have an amount of time to appeal this declaration in court (in NSW it's 28 days. Not sure about QLD). Ensure you lodge the appeal within this time frame or you will be forced to comply without question. There should be instructions on how to do so in the paperwork they gave you.

Please seek legal advice from a solicitor that has a good understanding of your Act.

ETA: sorry for spelling mistakes - iPhone.

The OP has said the paperwork is declaring her dog dangerous, not restricted, so they are not declaring based on his breed.

Ok I've just looked up the QLD act and it says in regards to declaring dangerous or menacing dogs:

This is Part 4, section 89:

(2) A dangerous dog declaration may be made for a dog only if

the dog—

(a) has seriously attacked, or acted in a way that caused fear to, a person or another animal; or

(b) may, in the opinion of an authorised person having regard to the way the dog has behaved towards a person or another animal, seriously attack, or act in a way that causes fear to, the person or animal.

(3) A menacing dog declaration may be made for a dog only if a ground mentioned in subsection (2) exists for the dog, except that the attack was not serious.

You say your dog has done neither, therefore they cannot declare your dog. You need to ask them to show proof that YOUR dog has done one or more of these things, not his parents.

Link here:

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/ACTS/2008/08AC074.pdf

Edited by melzawelza

What sort of papers does the mother have? Did you see the pedigree papers or did they tell you that they have "papers". The father is from a stud? He's a crossbred dog! I don't know of any "stud" who would be selling crossbred sires...

Yes we have seen the papers for the mother.... As the parents owners are good friends of ours. He originally wanted to put the female over another bullmastiff, but his male dog got in first.

And yes there are two studs in Queensland that breed bandogges. I know they can be a cross breed, if they are not bred properly, and I know ppl who just breed them with anything,.

There are also several types of 'bandogge' although rocksteadys dad is classed as a Australian bandogge.