Early Ovulater / Ai's

Risyntira

Has anyone had any experience with their bitch who ovulates early?

Last season I tried to breed my bitch (would have been her first litter) but she just wasn't interested (non flirty, sitting and snapping) this was on day 12 and 14, the stud dog owner and I agreed that we should try again next season.

So this season I had a progesterone test done at day nine (on Monday) and the results come back at 71. The vet said its up to me if we go ahead with the AI and we will most likely only do the one and can not guarantee puppies.

Yesterday afternoon we went to the vets and done the AI.

What are the chances of her concieving with that level and would she cycle 'normally' after this litter or would I have to prog test her every time I wish to breed from her?

Thanks in advance.

I would have prog tested her earlier then day 9.

I start the first day and go from there, you need a base line so you can see it increasing and know she had ovulated and when.

TCI or AI?

TCI semen is inserted past/through the cervix, AI semen is just sitting in there, if the cervix is already closed chances of getting puppies are very very slim.

Each bitch is different, as is each season.

What are the chances of her concieving with that level and would she cycle 'normally' after this litter or would I have to prog test her every time I wish to breed from her?

Her cycle could be perfectly normal for her. I start my prog testing at day 2 and go every 2nd day until told otherwise/the timing is right. I would always prog test anyway unless the stud dog was living on the property.

Thanks guys,

this is the first time I've need to do the prog test. The first time I had taken her to the stud dog she would always sit and snap at him, only way I could get a mating was with an AI.

Vet suggested that we start to prog test from day nine, there had been no change to her season or blood colour as I was checking every day.

I think next time I will start testing earlier on.

It wasn't TCI we had an AI done.

One prog test at 71 tells you that she has ovulated the problem is you don't know when. If it was up to 3 days earlier then there is a good chance you will get pups if it was longer then probably not. My GP bitch ovulates extremely early in her cycle. Last season I noticed her in on the Thursday night, prog tested Friday afternoon (so day 2)was 5.4. Prog tested on Monday morning and she was 21.1, Tuesday was 35.4. So she had ovulated on the Monday on day 5 of her season. She was one who had tricked me on the previous season when I had her tested on day 7 and she was on 79.

So yes, if you don't get pups or even if you do and plan to breed her again in the future I would be getting that baseline pretty much as soon as you notice her in season. And then test every 2-3 days after that so you know when the rise is.

In the meantime, fingers crossed!! :)

Thanks Winpara. Thats helps alot.

When I say normal, I mean to what I am used to with those lines. This bitchs grandmothers first litter was concieved with a tie on day 7 (one and only mating) her following matings were between day 14 and day 17 all with success.