Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit

Nik

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Second most smartest breed too...

I believe it's the smartest breed followed by the Border Collie and then the GSD. :)

It doesn't have to be kept in a frou frou clip either.

post-27253-0-26990200-1335502078_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizT

A breeder of that sort in Gippsland will be a puppyfarm.

Ask her what kind of dog she likes. Non-shedding is only one criteria as is size. A lagotto fits both but so does a wheaten terrier and they're two very different breeds.

Plus, how long does she want to wait? She sounds like an 'I want it now!' person. Various of the non-shedding medium-size breeds are not large in number. Will she wait? If not, let her get her oodle.

Edited by Sheridan

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

Are we talking about F1 crosses or the "mulit-generation" version ??

The overwhelming majority of F! Lab/poodle crosses DO SHED!!!!!!!

They can also suffer from a range of inherited health conditions like hip dysplasia and eye issues.

If she wants to buy from a puppy farm then she's certainly looking in the right region of Australia.

But honestly, save your breath. Her husband's fear that proximity to a poodle will drain him of testosterone :banghead: will mean they'll buy the pup.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Well I can only try! They lost a few weeks ago their fox terrier of some 19 years. She has said that she is researching- she's a very sensible person, and when I mentioned health testing she had genuinely never heard of it before. I've told her that gippsland is puppy farm central, and she wants to feel comfortable that the pup is coming from a good place. She has already decided a few other places were dodgy which is good I guess.

Well I can only try! They lost a few weeks ago their fox terrier of some 19 years. She has said that she is researching- she's a very sensible person, and when I mentioned health testing she had genuinely never heard of it before. I've told her that gippsland is puppy farm central, and she wants to feel comfortable that the pup is coming from a good place. She has already decided a few other places were dodgy which is good I guess.

Does she need the dog to be non-shedding?

What is she looking for in a dog?

I believe it's the smartest breed followed by the Border Collie and then the GSD. :)

Is it? I thought Borders were! Well there ya go :)

Is it? I thought Borders were! Well there ya go :)

Border Collies top the list of every ranking of working/obedience intelligence that I've seen :) On Stanley Coren's ranking Poodles come 2nd.

Back on topic . . .

What about some of the gundogs - Curly Coated Retriever, Irish Water Spaniel? Don't know much about their temperaments, but most gundog breeds are pretty biddable. Does anybody know more about those?

maybe give the hubby the following links?

link

link

link'

link (unclipped standard poodle pic )

I don't find show clips/bows attractive , but adore the scruffy ringletted wet & tired poodle look , and just love seeing poodles in the swamp or grass or dust :) . (doesn't happen very often tho :( )

they are amazingly smart, .... !

Edited by persephone

...her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

And plenty are HUGE, shedding, stupid, hyper or aggressive.... but anyhow....

An F1 cross is no guarantee of any of the things she wants. The chances of the pups inheriting all of the most 'desirable' traits from both parents are slim to none.

Aside from not all of them being non-shedding, some have terrible coats, too.

The other thing you could suggest is to find a "better" labradoodle breeder. I believe that there are some breeders and kennels that do health test their labradoodles and have started to develop a standard of sorts.

I'm not advocating labradoodles (I'm a poodle owner!) but if it looks like they're deadset on the idea, they could at least minimise the risks they're setting themselves up for.

ETA - and why do poodles always get such a bad rap! God it's annoying.

I have so many small oodle owners coming up to me telling me how gorgeous my dog is and how they wished their dog was Maggie's size. WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU GET A TOY POODLE. Sigh. And standard poodles - people think they're "prissy". What does that even MEAN. URGH. :cry::mad Rant over.

Edited by Alkhe

Not everyone dislikes the look of poodles because they are not considered "manly".

I know people get defensive of their breeds, but come on, we all have our preferences. Its a bit rough to come down on someone because they don't like a certain breed.