Foster Failures And Continued Fostering

Oh OK, ive never had the two together, I know Greys are not vicious as such, thats not what i meant, Greys are beautiful and big softies. I meant more in terms of an Iggy getting accidentally trampled in excitable play or running. They tend to break easily and i just wouldnt risk an Iggy with any large dog.

But ive never had the two together, so i could be wrong. :)

Yes this is fair enough, there is no way Iggys should be running with Greys and large dogs.

I don't agree with it, it is very limiting if enforced. What I'd worry about more is fostering for more than one group.

We have Italian Greyhounds generally at Iggy Rescue and one of our lovely carers occasionally takes on Greyhounds - we ask that they are constatnly monitored when together and not left alone unsupervised. We make that work but I'd be very concerned if we were left in the dark and our Iggies were being exposed to different types of dogs from rescue groups that don't undertake proper temperament testing or quarantine etc first.

Sorry Whipitgood I disagree.I have known greys to run away screaming from a cat and almost poo themselves when they have seen a chook.My own two greys are scared to death of my friends one eyed foxie.Can't speak for other large dogs but there would be plenty of Greys that could happily live with an Iggy, a chi and even rabbits.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e group to refuse someone because of their parents. Perhaps this potential foster carer did not appreciate the pool danger, and may have been prepared to put up a fence. Interestingly he/she had a doggy door so presumably they already had or had had a dog.

On a more general note I did not think there was such an oversupply of foster carers for rescue groups to be so choosy. Healthy dogs die because they cannot find rescue.

Healthy dogs die because idiots and arseholes breed and sell them irresponsibly. Not because rescues with limited resources insist on basic standards.

Would you place a dog in a household if you became aware that not all members of the household wanted the dog to be there?

Edited to say that ultimately dogs die when the people who have agreed to take responsibility for them shift them onto a system that can't cope. So owners also have to carry the moral can, rescue should not IMO.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Healthy dogs die because idiots and arseholes breed and sell them irresponsibly. Not because rescues with limited resources insist on basic standards.

Would you place a dog in a household if you became aware that not all members of the household wanted the dog to be there?

Edited to say that ultimately dogs die when the people who have agreed to take responsibility for them shift them onto a system that can't cope. So owners also have to carry the moral can, rescue should not IMO.

YES! And pardon my shouting. But this should be shouted from the rooftops.

Oh OK, ive never had the two together, I know Greys are not vicious as such, thats not what i meant, Greys are beautiful and big softies. I meant more in terms of an Iggy getting accidentally trampled in excitable play or running. They tend to break easily and i just wouldnt risk an Iggy with any large dog.

Yes this is fair enough, there is no way Iggys should be running with Greys and large dogs.

I don't agree with it, it is very limiting if enforced. What I'd worry about more is fostering for more than one group.

We have Italian Greyhounds generally at Iggy Rescue and one of our lovely carers occasionally takes on Greyhounds - we ask that they are constatnly monitored when together and not left alone unsupervised. We make that work but I'd be very concerned if we were left in the dark and our Iggies were being exposed to different types of dogs from rescue groups that don't undertake proper temperament testing or quarantine etc first.

Sorry Whipitgood I disagree.I have known greys to run away screaming from a cat and almost poo themselves when they have seen a chook.My own two greys are scared to death of my friends one eyed foxie.Can't speak for other large dogs but there would be plenty of Greys that could happily live with an Iggy, a chi and even rabbits.

No it's ok whipitgood I hope I didn't offend.I don't think you are wrong,I'm just too quick sometimes to jump on my greyhound soapbox :o

I doubt that anyone would reject a foster carer out of hand without a very good reason.

You might like to hear about the last one I rejected, in the nicest possible way - even though they'd wasted my time and that of the home checker's time.

I had a good length phone call about them upon receipt of a beautifully worded email and not once - even though I asked some pertinent questions - did they mention:

- they lived with their parents who weren't keen on having a foster dog at all

and

- they had easy/constant acccess through a doggie door to an unfenced pool.

Call me awful but the answer was no - would have caused stress within the family unit and possibly the death of a dog by drowning.

Everything has to be assessed individually but I was very excited to have found such a caring foster carer only to be extremely disappointed. Who was in the wrong here as some of you think it is very black and white - was it me or the potential foster carer?

I have some concerns about this post. I'm not sure that it is appropriate for a rescue group to refuse someone because of their parents. Perhaps this potential foster carer did not appreciate the pool danger, and may have been prepared to put up a fence. Interestingly he/she had a doggy door so presumably they already had or had had a dog.

On a more general note I did not think there was such an oversupply of foster carers for rescue groups to be so choosy. Healthy dogs die because they cannot find rescue.

And I have some concerns about your ability to understand what is and isn't a suitable foster carer. I'm not printing every sentence exchanged between my home checker and the parents.

Yes, the applicant was an adult. They told me they lived with their sister. No mention of anyone else in the house and i asked the question.

No, no fence could be put up and yes, they had two dogs that were used to it all.

Just as a side note, I didn't start my latest rescue venture with zero experience. I've been foster caring continuously myself since 2002. I don't consider myself acceptable for many different dogs and certainly not dogs with certain issues. I can't have large dogs here, nor barkers, diggers or climbers.

I also ran the foster program for Sydney's largest private rescue group and that had 50 or so foster carers at the same time. Once I'd set it up, run it for a couple of years and handed the program to another volunteer, I then continued to run with up to 20 foster carers for the next few years.

I also worked at rehomings all weekend for 5 years ...

I think I'm qualified to make good matches from both a foster and adoption point of view. Have had very few returns or bad matches.

Edited by dogmad

It doesn't matter how well you do it dogmad - the armchair experts will always think they know better.

FWIW I reckon you are tops... keep on doing what you are doing... you make a BIG difference for many dogs every day, OK?

T.

I have had 3 foster failure cats and 1 foster failure dog, out of the 137 that I have fostered over the past 4 years.

They have all stayed with me for different reasons.

Mouse was/is severely cage aggressive, he would literally rip shreds off anyone who went near his cage. He is still naughty, plays super rough and likes to ambush me as I walk down the hallway, I understand him and he fitted in with my existing fur-family so he stayed.

Erik has Chronic Herpes Virus (strain of cat flu), every time I took him back for adoption he stressed and made himself so sick that he needed course after course of antibiotics, he was fine once he got home again.. cheeky bugger.

Thomas was surrendered over to the shelter with a fractured leg, he is a bit special, not all there really, he used to freak out severely when in the cage.

Willow, well she is the three legged Westie, she melted my heart, cured Maverick's loneliness and just fitted in! :laugh:

I don't think people should be stopped from fostering just because they have had a foster failure. If people still have the time and attention to give then why stop them giving a homeless animal some love!

I don't think people should be stopped from fostering just because they have had a foster failure. If people still have the time and attention to give then why stop them giving a homeless animal some love!

This post reminded me. Council sometimes stops people fostering. Some councils are ok, and allow a foster dog over the official limit of two dogs. Some councils do not allow more than two dogs on property for any reason at all.

So maybe that is why a foster failure might mean a person can't continue to foster.

This post reminded me. Council sometimes stops people fostering. Some councils are ok, and allow a foster dog over the official limit of two dogs. Some councils do not allow more than two dogs on property for any reason at all.

So maybe that is why a foster failure might mean a person can't continue to foster.

This is a good point, I have been lucky with my council, they allow fosters over my permit for the permanent residents.

I guess some people in certain councils are maybe not so lucky.

In NSW Councils cannot enforce a limit on the amount of companion animals someone owns (within reason, for example, the care provided and safety, etc). The DLG states it on their website:

Is there a limit on the number of companion animals I can own?

No. There is no limit on the number of animals that a person can own, provided that the animals are properly cared for and do not pose a nuisance, health or safety risk to other members of the community.

However, councils can develop policies either through their Local Companion Animal Management Plans or as Local Orders Policies, which provide guidance as to the number of animals considered acceptable in your local area. These policies will only be applied where health, safety, amenity or animal welfare problems are identified and are subject to public consultation before being adopted by council.

A Local Orders Policy in relation to the keeping of animals serves two purposes: firstly, to provide a guideline for all local residents on what is generally considered an appropriate number and kind of animals which may be kept; and secondly, to provide publicly accepted and documented criteria which council will use in investigating any complaint that animals kept by a particular person pose a health or safety risk to other members of the community.

Councils do not have powers under either the Local Government Act or the Companion Animals Act to generally enforce a limit on the number of animals kept as pets by all residents. Nor do councils have powers to require a person to apply for approval to keep more than the number of animals specified in a Local Orders Policy.

Council Policies are just suggestions on what they would like you to do but they cannot enforce anything unless problems arise due to the number of animals you keep.

EDIT: Not sure on other states but this is something that is regularly asked here and not a lot of people know the Council's cannot actually stop them owning more animals than they suggest.

Edited by Plan B

Hehe thats OK, no offense taken. I too love Greys and have been in contact with GAP to do some fostering and rehab with them. As soon as we get the proper fencing on our acerage. :D

No it's ok whipitgood I hope I didn't offend.I don't think you are wrong,I'm just too quick sometimes to jump on my greyhound soapbox :o

EDIT: Not sure on other states but this is something that is regularly asked here and not a lot of people know the Council's cannot actually stop them owning more animals than they suggest.

In most states there are limits, the various state acts allow councils to set their own limits. In NSW the state act doesn't allow councils to set limits. Most areas in Australia do have council limits on animal numbers.

Each foster carer would have their own limit on the number of dogs they can safely handle. The important thing is that rescue group assesses each situation carefully, and use their own judgement about who they place dogs with, because foster carers shouldn't be left to realise their limits the hard way. Many carers over estimate their abilities, and the dogs might pay the price for this.

A foster dog is going to become more adoptable if it is in foster care with a carer that has time for it, and where it isn't stressed by too many other animals. So there might be a situation where a foster carer is turned away because of too many dogs in the home, even if there is council approval.

The OP is talking about America, so things are going to be different there. There are a lot more groups, so perhaps some groups can be very choosy about what sort of homes their dogs are fostered in and some groups cannot be. We also don't know what breed, but if it is a popular breed in rescue, then high demand for dogs would mean that rescue would want to discourage foster carers from adopting a dog.

Edited by Greytmate

Each foster carer would have their own limit on the number of dogs they can safely handle. The important thing is that rescue group assesses each situation carefully, and use their own judgement about who they place dogs with, because foster carers shouldn't be left to realise their limits the hard way. Many carers over estimate their abilities, and the dogs might pay the price for this.

A foster dog is going to become more adoptable if it is in foster care with a carer that has time for it, and where it isn't stressed by too many other animals. So there might be a situation where a foster carer is turned away because of too many dogs in the home, even if there is council approval.

Of course. Not sure why all this needed to be said as I was just stating that, in reply to your comment, NSW does not have a limit on the amount of dogs someone can have. Therefor, Council do not play a part in stopping someone from fostering here.

There's also a lot of people who do not know that Council cannot enforce their policies, so do not actually consider fostering based on that - if more people knew that they could have a foster dog on top of their own two dogs (for example), we may have more people putting their hands up to help.

Willow, well she is the three legged Westie, she melted my heart, cured Maverick's loneliness and just fitted in! :laugh:

I think it was pretty clear when spanky new pink doggy accessories started to appear in your photos with Willow that she was a FF! Plus she is so terribly cute and special that I doubt any other carer would've let her go either! Maverick is a lucky boy!

I think it was pretty clear when spanky new pink doggy accessories started to appear in your photos with Willow that she was a FF! Plus she is so terribly cute and special that I doubt any other carer would've let her go either! Maverick is a lucky boy!

:o :laugh:

Just popping in to applaud SkySoaringMagpie's post.

And to add for those offering a blanket assurance on greyhounds and little dogs - that not all rescue dogs, this goes for any breed, big or small, cross or pure - are suited temperamentally to being safely around small dogs, people, cats, etc etc - one or many of these things - some dogs in the world are not suited.

Just because the vast majority of greyhounds are, does not mean that they will all be. In saying that, all my greyhound fosters have been, and the only temperamentally scary foster dog I've had was a small terrier x who had more prey drive than anything I've met.

Sorry, OT I know. And I love greyhounds to bits. But bad apples can turn up in any breed, and any dog has the potential to be dangerous in the wrong circumstances. Saying otherwise gives false impressions which are even more dangerous.