Broken Dew Claw

My GSD broke his dew claw last night. It's sticking out horizontally to his leg. It bled a bit and he yelped when he did it. Will I need to take him to the vet to have it taken off or will it fall off? I've sprayed it with cetrigen antibacterial spray (had it left over from when my horse ripped her leg open on barbed wire) I don't want to wrap it or anything though cause I don't want to touch it! :-(

Guest Arcane

It's likely only hanging on by a thread. If it were my own dog I would run it under icy cold water for a minute or 2 then just rip it off in an instant, then keep it under the cold water for a bit longer, before spraying with spray again. They usually dry out very fast and start healing well.

Of course that's bush medicine so if you're not comfortable with that or you don't think your dog would cope, or if the nail is clearly still well attached, then see the vet for sure.

Guest Arcane

It's hard to tell. Best to go to the vet then so if it hurts he doesn't associate you with the hurt, and they can sedate if needed anyway, and check for any damage etc.

I must admit I would just cut it off but if you can't do it a vet trip is in order. It can't be left like that.

I'd probably cut it off if it were one of his other nails, but this just freaks me out! He is booked in to see the vet tomorrow at 9am. The vet said he will sedate him a bit to cut it off and wrap him up and give him antibiotics. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I must admit I would just cut it off but if you can't do it a vet trip is in order. It can't be left like that.

I'd probably cut it off if it were one of his other nails, but this just freaks me out! He is booked in to see the vet tomorrow at 9am. The vet said he will sedate him a bit to cut it off and wrap him up and give him antibiotics. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Stan snapped his a few months ago,took him to the vet,sedated him cut it off ,strapped it,no antibiotics,a couple of days later..fine.

My JS pup damaged the nail on his outside front toe. I bathed it & while I was drying it I noticed it was literally hanging by a thread so I pulled it off. I took him to the vet the next day & he was given antibiotics for 10 days. I had to wrap it up every time he went outside to the toilet to prevent dirt getting inside the toe. After 2 weeks the new nail was visible. Vet said it would take 6 months to fully grow back.

I took him to the vets and he was sedated to have it removed because it was more bent than broken. The et said they can usually just pull them off, but his haddnt broken. But all good now. His bandage is off tomorrow but he still has to wear his radar dish lol! Poor baby!

59dbcf71.jpg

Aawww bless him.I've never quite seen a "radar dish" like that one before.

Nor had I! It's one that isn't attached to the collar. It sits just behind the ears. Very cool! Just does up with valcro.

I've seen these and thought they were much better than the Elizabethen Collars, for the fact they aren't so wide and therefore wouldn't hit so many things.

But should you have yours as long as it is? Aren't they designed so you can cut them shorter to suit? Otherwise, how does your dog drink with it on?