2 Whippets Rescued Today By Iggy Rescue

These two dogs arrived today. Although I was expecting two thin dogs, I had a terrible shock when I picked them up. I raced them to the vet who said they are lucky to be alive. They are so thin that you can see every bone in their body and see right through some parts of their body when the sun shines. :cry: They have some ulcerated pressure sores.

They are in foster care with someone who is home all day and will be feeding them up with nutritious meals, 4 times a day. They'll be warm and well cared for, following vet instructions, until they are a normal weight.

Their owner suddenly died out in the country and a neighbour was supposed to feed them but only visited once a week which of course was nowhere near enough. I don't know what happened to the ohter animals. These boys were collected and have been with family for 3 weeks - I hate to imagine what they were like before that.

Thanks so much to Scallywags Rescue who donated the transport costs to help us get the boys to safety. The transporter was horrified at the state of them of course.

Indigirl and I will be updating this thread as the boys (Dusty and Phoenix) make some progress ...

Edited by dogmad

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad they are now in care, will hold off on my judgement on their previous care, but thank you to Dogmad, Scallywags and anyone giving these dogs a chance. Just heartbreaking :cry:

:cry: That's just horrible. Poor poor babies. :(

Thank God you's came along when you's did. :angel:

Looking foward to lots of happy updates. I am sure with some proper love & care, they'll fill out and flourish in no time. :)

:cry: seeing them has bought tears to my eyes, those poor boys :cry:

thank Dog they are now in your care :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing how much they will change as they get/feel better and betterer

I suspect their owner was in hospital for some weeks before he died, and the Neighbour was meant to be feeding them the entire time. These boys are lucky to be alive. We were told they had seen a vet prior to being transported but we are guessing this isn't true. If dogmad had not persisted with these dogs I doubt they would have survived much longer.

are these the dogs that were advertised on gumtree a week or so ago, free to a good home?

I wonder if they were chained up, because otherwise I would have thought they might go off hunting bunnies for food.

the photos really are horrific. they will need careful feeding to get them well again. I look forward to seeing the after photos. I hope they wont have permanent damage to their organs from starvation.