2 Whippets Rescued Today By Iggy Rescue

Will those balls be coming off when they're regained their strength?

I doubt you even need those heat pads, if the whips are rugged and can snuggle up together under a blanket I suspect that's all they'll need. Save your money.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can bet your bottom dollar the boys will be losing the danglies when they are strong enough... dogmad and indigirl are sticklers for that... *grin*

These boys have definitely managed to get themselves into care with one of the most reputable rescues, that's for sure...

T.

You can bet your bottom dollar the boys will be losing the danglies when they are strong enough... dogmad and indigirl are sticklers for that... *grin*

These boys have definitely managed to get themselves into care with one of the most reputable rescues, that's for sure...

T.

Ah T, you know us too well!! :rofl:

Seriously though, these boys had already been booked in to the vets on arrival, for all their vet work to be done - desexing, dentals (if needed), vaccination, worming, heartworm test and pre-op blood tests as they are older. Of course that was completely scrapped and the vet and all their staff were as horribly shocked at the state of them as I was.

Anything else that needs doing at the time of surgery is also done either then or shortly after - nail clipping, ear cleaning (we recently rescued an Iggy whose ears could have grown potatoes), anal glands, lump removal, dry eye tests and so on.

We are ethical rescuers and have a strict protocol to follow which is imperative for the dog's health so that they go to a new home at their best. And we rehome with full disclosure to the owner of everything that needed to be done - they can then make a choice if they want to continue.

Last year one of the older Iggies we took on had desexing and dental at a different vet from our preferred vet due to circumstances at the time. 2 months later, before rehoming I took her for a check up and my vet found a tooth that had been missed by the first surgery. So I had her put under and the tooth removed. When advised, the new home decided they didn't want a dog that had had to have two dentals in 2 months - even though I explained why it happened. She was adopted eventually - by me!

Our worry is with the boys that if they manage to shake off a blanket in the night, even with coats on they will struggle to stay warm. It's getting much colder in Sydney now and we thought that the heat pad will definitely help them. Even healthy dogs use them at night/during the day so for optimum comfort we will give it a try and see how they feel. They've got a long way to go yet and we don't want them using their energy to try and stay warm.

Edited by dogmad

If you get the heat pads wrap them in a thick towel or something, the little thin material cover they come with isn't enough to stop them from potentially burning. I have one I bought for the dogs but I use it and it's hot. If a dog wasn't able to get away from it, I think it could burn.

A friend of mine runs a cattery and a cat got bad burns off a heat pad that it was able to get off, it just chose not too. :confused: I wonder if it doesn't feel very hot to them but the heat kind of accumulates or something.

Oh they are so precious.. will you eventually rehome them together guys ? Just curious as they seem so very close..

They are very close at the moment but it is understandable. Originally they were rescued from a cruel home as puppies and rehomed to different members of the family across the country. Those family members then gave both dogs to the father who had them for the last 3 yrs. He loved them but passed away suddenly and noone else was really in a position to keep them.

Both dogs do like the company of Ella's other dogs and have curled up with them separately but we will reassess the situation when they are well again. It is much easier to rehome single dogs and we only rehome with other dogs for company but we will wait and see how they are when they are feeling back to normal. They have lived with cats and been good, our hope for them is a fantastic home (preferably together), they deserve nothing less.

Ummm... I'm starting to get the impression that the boys are lapping up all of the creature comforts on hand at the moment... *grin*

Can we request a few pics where they aren't sleeping please?

Loving the Phoenix under the doona shot... makes your heart melt, doesn't it?

T.

Love the "under the doona" shot. What's the bet they've never been covered under blankets before. Do they know how to burrow or do they need covering up and tucking in, like my dopey boys. Seems like some dogs learn it and some dont.

Ummm... I'm starting to get the impression that the boys are lapping up all of the creature comforts on hand at the moment... *grin*

Can we request a few pics where they aren't sleeping please?

Loving the Phoenix under the doona shot... makes your heart melt, doesn't it?

T.

They are sleeping almost all the time right now. They need to sleep amd eat amd not much else. They are not allowed any visitors or any kind of excitement, they need to be kept as quiet as possible. They came so close to dying that it's imperative we get some condition on them ASAP. I'm sure once they are feeling better there will be lots of awake pics.

Phoenix is the shy one, so it's wonderful to see him lapping up the cuddles and attention. Seeing him under the doona Ike that makes me melt too. Ellla says they are both very sweet natured and really lovely dogs.

ETA I'm sure they will love the teddies .. Wonder how long before they have the energy to unstuff them?

Edited by indigirl

Oh stans mum I have their measurements for you. Phoenix is 55cm long, 23 cm from neck to elbow. Dusty is 58cm long and 23cm neck to elbow.

Those measurements include 5 extra cm for length on both dogs as you suggested. Will PM you Ella's address details.. Thanks so much :)