Matted Fur

I have an 11 month old Newfie and due to a combination of his extreme dislike to be brushed and me recently being very ill his grooming has been let go a little and now has a few matted patches, is my only option to clip these or cut them out?

I have an 11 month old Newfie and due to a combination of his extreme dislike to be brushed and me recently being very ill his grooming has been let go a little and now has a few matted patches, is my only option to clip these or cut them out?

Unless you are able to brush them out, it probably is the only option. How bad are we talking? I suppose if it's got to this point partially due to his hatred (which is probably fear, too) of being brushed, it will probably be even harder to attempt to brush out matts now.

If I were you, I'd cut the matts out before I resorted to clippers, but it does depend on how big and how many..

Depends how bad the knots are & how close to skin they are.

I would be getting the opinion of a good groomer first different tools can make moderate matt removal easy BUT it depends also on the dogs behaviour with matts being removed.

Clipping would be the easiest option if the dog is very badly behaved ,cutting can be dangerous for the novice especially if the dog has no respect to allow you to brush it now.

I also wouldn't chop the knots but splice through the knots down wards to break it up so it doesn't look butchered BUT you then need to address brushing & the tools you use.

Also don't bath it with knots it will only make them worse.

Chances are at that age its starting a big coat change so brushing needs to be regular & with the right gear

Depends how bad the knots are & how close to skin they are.

I would be getting the opinion of a good groomer first different tools can make moderate matt removal easy BUT it depends also on the dogs behaviour with matts being removed.

Clipping would be the easiest option if the dog is very badly behaved ,cutting can be dangerous for the novice especially if the dog has no respect to allow you to brush it now.

I also wouldn't chop the knots but splice through the knots down wards to break it up so it doesn't look butchered BUT you then need to address brushing & the tools you use.

Also don't bath it with knots it will only make them worse.

Chances are at that age its starting a big coat change so brushing needs to be regular & with the right gear

+1

Given the size of the dog, my advice would be to seek help from an experienced newfie or other giant coated breed person. If the dog has an extreme dislike for brushing, you will have to get on top of it even for matt clipping, but you can't do that without hands on coaching from someone who understands the breed and will have the dog's number the minute they walk in the door. Is his breeder local to you?

Some advice here on grooming that may help: http://www.espinay.com/grooming.cfm

Agree with what is posted so far. What you do will depend on how bad the mats are, how bad he is to groom and who is grooming him.

Be very wary of trying to cut them yourself. Some advice on using scissors in the above link. I remember well a Newfie grooming client that came to me as a regular after the owner tried to cut mats on his chest and he ended up with about 10 stitches when she cut his skin.

Getting him professionally groomed by someone experienced with big dogs may be a good way to get started. Once he is done, groom him VERY regularly for short sessions (see my link). Be firm, and groom to PREVENT matts occuring rather than to get rid of them once formed. Eventually if you keep it up your dog will come to tolerate grooming if not enjoy it and the whole process will be easier and much more pleasant for the both of you.