Show Quality Pup

haffyluv

Hi all… I don't post on here very much but come on to read a bit. Not sure if this is the right place but…

Any advice on finding a show quality pup? I've done research on breeders website for awhile but it doesn't seem like many sell show pups on main register. I'm new to the dog showing world but have shown horses for quite a few years so would like to try something new. I'm not looking to breed from the dog. I'm looking for a new companion as well as a show dog. Is it rude to email breeders looking for a show pup? Or will they advertise if they have one?

Cheers

You won't buy a "show quality puppy" from anyone who knows their stuff - you have a reasonably good chance of eventually getting hold of a pup with show potential though :)

Find breeders who have dogs you like the look of and contact them being very specific that you are looking for a pup with show potential. Are you particularly looking for a dog or a bitch because in a lot of breeds a new-comer has much more chance of ending up with a good dog rather than a good bitch. And don't expect it to be a quick find (unless you are incredibly lucky). Have patience and be up-front about what you want.

First thing to note is that what you will be looking for is 'show potential' rather than 'show quality' as while a breeder can choose a pup they think may turn into a good show prospect, they dont have a crystal ball and as a dog grows things can sometimes change. It is the risk you take when buying a pup.

Best advice I could give would be to find a breeder that has dogs you like and who you can develop a relationship with. dont necessarily look for breeders that have pups available as if you are after a pup to show, you may have to wait for a likely prospect. Note that to be trusted with a show prospect you may need to 'prove' yourself a little first. See if you can go along to a few shows with the breeder for example, and help them out. Let them see you are keen and willing to learn.

Note you are possibly going to have more success getting a male than a female. Breeders tend to be very careful about where they place main register bitches. Not to say that they arent careful about males, but it is often easier to get a good quality male than a female. The breeder may also be interested in negotiating 'terms' with you so that they can use the dog later in their breeding program if this is considered suitable. Don't necessarily shy away from co-ownership if this is offered. The trick with co-ownership though is to make sure all the terms of the deal are in writing on the contract and that both you and the breeder are happy and benefit from the arrangement.

It is not rude to email a breeder to ask about a show potential pup. I would recommend though that when you do send an email, set out clearly what you are looking for, being very honest about your intentions. Give a little background on yourself - that you have shown horses but not dogs, plus any experience you have had with dogs (dogs you have owned and what you have done with them (obedience etc???), whether they were desexed, what breed they were etc and your experience (if any) with the breed you are looking to get. Don't be too long winded but be clear and concise.

As mentioned, be prepared to wait for the right pup. Just as important is your relationship with the breeder. Pups on main register for show homes won't often be advertised as these types of homes are usually lined up through private negotiation and are waiting for the right pup to be born.

Good luck!

Edited by espinay2

Hi Haffyluv,

Welcome to the world of dog showing. I am also an ex horse show person.

when we first started out we were looking for a lab and quite quickly got very disheartened, due to all the knockbacks by breeders, we kept persisting and finally found what we were looking for and she is adorable at 13 months nearly titled, we were really lucky with our whippet, she was the only female left in the litter and she us currently the no 3 rising star hound in Victoria and has had many age in group and show wins.... while at a show we were asked if interested in campaigning our Norwegian Elkhound, hence Kimmie came to our family and she is now the no2, rising star hound in Vic, we have just been asked to campaign another Elkhound so Scooter will join our family in two weeks.

we were looking for a dog for my daughter to show and were offered a beagle, and my daughter and Ruby are doing extremely well, they won their first in Show class last Saturday.

We are truely blessed to have such lovely dogs, but also for the wonderful people and breeders that we have met, who have entrusted their dogs into our care, we have only been showing for nearly 12 months now.

one thing I will say we always present our selves professionally, we both wear suits, make sure we are neat and tidy and have a smile on our faces,.

Good luck in your search, one thing to remember is that the top winning, always advertising kennel, may not be the only place to search for your superstar

Hi Haffyluv,

Welcome to the world of dog showing. I am also an ex horse show person.

when we first started out we were looking for a lab and quite quickly got very disheartened, due to all the knockbacks by breeders, we kept persisting and finally found what we were looking for and she is adorable at 13 months nearly titled, we were really lucky with our whippet, she was the only female left in the litter and she us currently the no 3 rising star hound in Victoria and has had many age in group and show wins.... while at a show we were asked if interested in campaigning our Norwegian Elkhound, hence Kimmie came to our family and she is now the no2, rising star hound in Vic, we have just been asked to campaign another Elkhound so Scooter will join our family in two weeks.

we were looking for a dog for my daughter to show and were offered a beagle, and my daughter and Ruby are doing extremely well, they won their first in Show class last Saturday.

We are truely blessed to have such lovely dogs, but also for the wonderful people and breeders that we have met, who have entrusted their dogs into our care, we have only been showing for nearly 12 months now.

one thing I will say we always present our selves professionally, we both wear suits, make sure we are neat and tidy and have a smile on our faces,.

Good luck in your search, one thing to remember is that the top winning, always advertising kennel, may not be the only place to search for your superstar

:offtopic:

Hey Teddywaddy - was the Junior Whippet bitch at Albury/Corowa yours? That was me with fawn Minor Whippet boy in the Minor in Group line up on the Sunday. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Rainy, there aren't too many neuter shows up this way. i don't intend to breed with my two but know i can keep them entire responsibly. besides many people start out just showing and become breeders anyway.