Is Advocate Necessary Every Month?

Thanks Jumabaar! That's the info I'd heard in regards to heartworm -- that it's the worms that cause blockages. I couldn't remember but knew it was somehow related to treatments.

I'm just collecting info because it's almost time for my two to renew their annual injection, which I'm not doing anymore.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very informative Post.

MY question- My Rough Collie has been on the original Dimmitrol Daily tablet from the yesr dot as it is the only heartworm preventstive that DOES not contain Ivermectin or any of its cousins.

She had DNA test for Ivermectin as is "Affected"

Now my question- she had been staying with a friend for awhie and tht only other Collie there were myu girls mum and a lovely rescue lad.

She has missed about 10 days of the Daily dimmtrol- so can I recommce it or does she have to have the Heartworm detction blood test?

Jumbaar What a load of goobblededock. Inaccuracies all through this. urghhhh. When I have time I may respond to these inaccuracies.

I'm very curious to read about these inaccuracies. Jumabaar's post clearly articulates the understanding I have always had, too, and not just from forums and word of mouth..

MY question- My Rough Collie has been on the original Dimmitrol Daily tablet from the yesr dot as it is the only heartworm preventstive that DOES not contain Ivermectin or any of its cousins.

Now my question- she had been staying with a friend for awhie and tht only other Collie there were myu girls mum and a lovely rescue lad.

She has missed about 10 days of the Daily dimmtrol- so can I recommce it or does she have to have the Heartworm detction blood test?

I would say you would be pretty unlucky for her to get heartworm if it was in VIC for those 10 days as I haven't seen any mozzies around - just too cold! I'm not so up to date with the daily heartwormers but I believe they don't have the lasting protection but only about 3-4 days so probably yes she would technically be at risk. With the monthly ones you have a bit more wiggle room if you forget to give the dose. But if it were me I'd probably just recommence the heartwormers as I think the risk of that short period of time in the current climate would be fairly small.

I would say you would be pretty unlucky for her to get heartworm if it was in VIC for those 10 days as I haven't seen any mozzies around - just too cold! I'm not so up to date with the daily heartwormers but I believe they don't have the lasting protection but only about 3-4 days so probably yes she would technically be at risk. With the monthly ones you have a bit more wiggle room if you forget to give the dose. But if it were me I'd probably just recommence the heartwormers as I think the risk of that short period of time in the current climate would be fairly small.

I agree it is unlikely. There are also studies that show that starting prevention immediately may have some benefits (although without going and having a look I can't say that it was researched in dimmtrol- it would have covered ivermectin which is of course useless to you.) in preventing further infection. You could have a look at the weather because there are certain climatic conditions that rule out the possibility of viable heart worm larvae being able to live- but I don't currently have my handbook with me so can't tell you the minimum temperature for the minimum number of days that they require. I am sure you can find it if you search.

Ultimately in these cases its a 'talk to your vet' situation. Any recommendations given over the internet are going to have problems because we don't have all the info. Most vets are happy to talk to you on the phone.

Shame about her being affected- Its now known as the ABCB1 mutation now just out of interest.

Alkhe- the bit about intestinal worms is exceptionally broad and so isn't all that accurate but no one wants a parasitology lecture :D Also I talked about Ivermectin rather than Moxidectin that does have a few differences i.e. half life so although the end result is the same there are some technical differences between how long the drug lasts in the system.

Edited by Jumabaar