Toy Breed Selection

we have a bichon frise . He is a true bundle of delightfullness. he's left on his own some days because we work but having said that he manages well , he's not into cuddles but will put up with it, swear he rolls his eyes lol ,he is ballie mad.he loves people ,dogs , he does need alot of grooming if you keep the coat long.but wouldn't be a problem if you keep him trimmed short. if you read the breed discription he fits it to a tea.

A Lowchen would fit all these plus a little extra

For starters they don't have to keep their breed trim they look just as cute in a teddy ear clIp. They are low shedding and just require A brush a few times a week if you keep them in coat but have the softest fur. They are very social little dogs, our little one loves to have snuggles on the bed and couch but is happy to head outside and play with our other dogs too. She is not a digger, they are little guard dogs at times and will alert you to strange happenings.

A bonus is they love children and are a great children's dog as well our girl LOVES our nieces and nephews, just last week when they stayed with us she spent the night IN the bed with them.

My OH is a groomer and he was saying that he finds cavvys to be a high shedding breed and sadly as well for me currently having a dog to handstrip lol handstripping ain't that fun and is fiddly, much prefer a good old clip and brush dog lol.

But all in all a very intelligent breed who would benefit from training but don't require it as such maybe a sit and come when called but they are the kind of dog who is happy to do what you want, you can get super lively lowchens like we have or you can get super quiet ones or middle in between.. Theres a lowchen for every personality lol

Oh and did I mention they are little hoovers, we call ours pig lmao cOs she will even eat cauliflower off my plate lmao! And they come in a rainbow of colours :)

If you want anymore info drop me a pm but I really think this is the breed for you!!

Just wondering why they clip the Lowchen's like they do. Also who is the first little dog in your sig....I think he is georgous :)

Lowchens are the little lion dog so we clip them in what's suppose to represent the lion so the big mane at the front and the lion tail at the back. If that makes sense. I laughed the first time I saw the clip but I love it over a teddy bear clip or anything else. Because our girl is still a show girl well not ATM as I'm focusing on her agility before she's bred with we keep her in show clip as she is a representation of her breed as far as I know she's the only one competing :)

The first pup in my signature is our lakeland baby "upinair sun line" aka amber or fish lmao. She's just 5 months now that photo was at her first show.. Great little breed but very cheeky and full on lol!

Sorry to the OP for going off topic lmao but hey now you know more about the lowchen trim

Low shedding Small Breeds that fit the requirements.

Affenpinscer

Bichon

Havanese

Lowchen

Mini Daccy

Toy/Mini Poodle

Shih Tzu

Mini Schnauzer

Really depends on how much grooming they want to put into, as most of the low shedding breeds need to be clipped regularly.

I second Clyde's suggestion of looking at PAWS website....if your parents are in Sydney. But not just for a particular breed. The foster-carers for such a Rescue get to know the little dogs well, which helps matching to lifestyle.

Personally, I find Tibetan Spaniels great little all-round housedogs to live with....but they do have moderately long hair so there's the issue of shedding.

I know it's not politically correct, but tibbies have nicely shaped bodies underneath and look very nice, clipped.

But, having said that, I wouldn't be pushing that as a way to go.

Just a suggestion. Maybe consider, too, a slightly bigger dog.....like a Corgi. I've had experience with a Cardigan Corgi....a lovely laid-back breed who made a great all-round family dog.

Edited by mita

I second Clyde's suggestion of looking at PAWS website....if your parents are in Sydney. But not just for a particular breed. The foster-carers for such a Rescue get to know the little dogs well, which helps matching to lifestyle.

Personally, I find Tibetan Spaniels great little all-round housedogs to live with....but they do have moderately long hair so there's the issue of shedding.

I know it's not politically correct, but tibbies have nicely shaped bodies underneath and look very nice, clipped.

But, having said that, I wouldn't be pushing that as a way to go.

Just a suggestion. Maybe consider, too, a slightly bigger dog.....like a Corgi. I've had experience with a Cardigan Corgi....a lovely laid-back breed who made a great all-round family dog.

Yes, think Mita is on the money here. Looking at purebre options doesn't necessarily fit with looking for a rescue as some mentioned may never come up!

I disagree with the pug recomendations, wonderful dogs but they she alot... My girl doesnt shed as much as others be she sheds a hell of alot more than alot of the other breeds being suggested here!

I think lowchens are great it pet trims, griffons of either coat type are great and I have a soft spot for tibbies!:thumbsup:

I disagree with the pug recomendations, wonderful dogs but they she alot... My girl doesnt shed as much as others be she sheds a hell of alot more than alot of the other breeds being suggested here!

I'm with you that shedding's not just a matter of long hair (bad) versus short hair (good).

Speaking only for myself, we've had visiting short-haired dogs that leave circles of spiky short hair on mats & cushions that's darn hard to get off. Whereas the 'drifts' of hair from the longer-haired dogs can be easier to sweep up.

We also owned 2 Shelties....one shed more than the other. There was a difference in the texture of their coats.

Also had 2 Australian- bred Tibbies that had different coat textures from our Tibbie from Sweden. The two Australian ones shed less.

Maybe a Bichon Frise?

Great suggestion! I had a lovely bichon frise who died last year aged 13 years. You have just described him to a tee.

Bichons are often more easy going than a Maltese - less terrier like more love sponge/ sweetheart.

I also agree with the Cavalier option. But yes they are shedders.

Both are breeds famous for their exceptional temperaments.

Not all SWFs are the same. I am biased perhaps, but I think the Bichon is the pick of the SWF breeds.

I have never owned a Havanese but have been told their temperament is similar to a Bichon.

Edited by Zug Zug

I would recommend a Chi as well. If you already have one - they like nothing as much as their own company! lol They can be a bit clannish.

They are extremely affectionate, and will happily sit on your lap all day. However they also are independent, and can entertain themselves if left alone.

Get one with a good temperament - they should be friendly and outgoing.

Have a look on the DOL breed page, there are adults advertised here.

Good luck!

I think either a Cav or a Tibbie.

Yes the Cav's shed, but if you brush the dead hair out each day its not really that bad. But remember they have more spaniel than toy in them sometimes, but they are so biddable, they are easy to live with, easy to train, and easy to groom.

Tibbies can be a bit headstrong in training, and are essentially a small watch dog, but if your parent's have the time to train them appropriately then they can be soooo loyal, and sooo sooky, plus keep you entertained with thier antics.

You said that your parents wouldn't appreciate cat-like behaviour such as jumping on furniture. Tibbies are climbers, but then again so is our Cav, he can climb a 5 foot pool fence. Plus they do jump on the lounge, especially when playing.

But either of these two would suit your requirements, but I think a clipped Bichon would be perfect as well!

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I've had a maltese, a shih tzu and a cavalier. Based on your requirements - I would recommend the maltese. They are born to be lap warmers, and very easy little dogs to have around. Don't shed much either. Shih tzu's have great little personalities - but they're not really into sitting on laps - they get too hot, too quickly. Cav's are beautiful natured and very mellow couch potatoes - but they do shed more.

I recommended a maltese too, they are full of personality and beautiful looking, don't shed, no doggy smell, can sit on your lap hours, easy to manage.

What are the reasons made maltese so unpopular that is hard to find someone recommending this breed? Because are they too small, is their coat too difficult to look after?

Lowchen! Don't have to have the show trim but their hair is silky and lovely to cuddle up to. Smart, funny, affectionate, energetic little cuddle bums. Also very alert and good little watch dogs.

With a name like Papillon Kisses how can you not think of a Papillon?? Could be perfect :thumbsup:

I think the OP said they may not be ready for anther Pap yet after losing their oldie so were after something different?

Pomeranian?

Have a look here, second one down http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.asp She sounds like what you are looking for smile.gif

Good on you for pointing out the mature purebred Cavaliers (beyond puppy stage) available for adoption from registered breeders. In the Dogzonline Breed Community pages. :thumbsup:

(By coincidence....& not in relation to this thread)....I was just looking up the mature tibetan spaniels for adoption as pets.)

All our tibbie girls have been adopted, as adults, from registered breeders....who proved to be spot-on in how they matched their dogs & provided information and support.