Falling In Love With A Breed, Totally Opposite To Your Favourite Breed

mantis

I have always loved big boofhead dogs, but have fallen in love with a tiny Shih Tzu.

Due to bad events, I lost my house due to fire, had to have two operations to save my sight & had to get my sweet boy PTS all within a short period. I had to stay at a friends unit while I had my operations & try to find somewhere permanent to live.

Anyway long story short, there were 5 dogs at these units, all small dogs. When the owners took them out for toilies, the little buggers all soon learned to come to my front door for cuddles & treats, I ended up being the resident babysitter, when the owners went away, or when they would be gone for a long time during the day. I loved this, as I was feeling down & missing my boy, so it was wonderful to have a doggy to cuddle. I loved them all, but this one little girl Maggie, absolutely stole my heart, she was so tiny, but was just a wonderful dog. She would bark at me, until I picked her up & cuddled her, she was such a demanding little girl, but OH so cute. :love:

Has anyone else had that experience of falling in love with a breed you never thought you would?

Edited by mantis

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, same thing. Little SWF shi#%* crosses, two of them. I truly love my big black girls but there's something about these tough little critters - leaky or snappy and just full of their own opinions. But so cute and winningly playful and all!

Edited by Katdogs

Yes. I love most dogs, but usually gravitate towards bigger breeds.

I recently visited my sister interstate however, and fell in love with one of her Chihuahuas. He was such a friendly, cuddly little guy and a real character. He's also so little and 'portable.' A dog that small is no trouble to fit into cars or take places. :laugh:

Yep. Even though I was raised with small dogs (yorkie, maltese, silky) I became a "big dog" person when I got my Labs. Didn't like mini schnauzers when my parents mentioned they were getting one. Then they bought her home, and now I'm absolutely smitten with her! Smart, energetic, cheeky little buggers!

Bullmastiffs.

My friends exhibit and breed them and I've fallen in love. They're such amazing dogs.

I was going to mention this breed as well. I usually value intelligence and aglity in breeds, but I've recently had the pleasure of meeting several Bullmastiffs that have stolen my heart. What beautiful, sensitive, affectionate and loyal animals they are. I've recently added them to my want list.

I'm a boofhead lover too, but Shih Tzus have also stolen my heart. They are kind of boofy still :laugh: My little girl keeps up with the best of them and has just as much bravado as the big dogs.

Mantis, I am so sorry things haven't been going well for you.

But what's not to love about a Shih Tzu? They are a really special dog. And a big guard dog in a little fluffy body. Heaps of attitude.

Could you keep Maggie?

Mantis, I am so sorry things haven't been going well for you.

But what's not to love about a Shih Tzu? They are a really special dog. And a big guard dog in a little fluffy body. Heaps of attitude.

Could you keep Maggie?

Unfortunately no, she belongs to the lady who lived in the unit next to the one I was staying at, who adores her as well.

Also I am only living in a rooming house, so I can't have any pets. I am waiting to get a unit, but I have to wait in line & it's killing me not having a dog. :cry:

I met a woman once who only had eyes for Staffies - until a friend came over with a toy poodle, and fell in love.

From the way she described it, this came as an absolute surprise to her.

Now she breeds Standard Poodles.

Guest Willow

I love very different breeds....I could happily own a Dobe or a Chi.... :laugh: