How Do You Choose The Right Breed?

gusgem

I am contemplating getting a puppy to eventually train in agility and obedience. I have my name down at two breeders (of two different breeds) as an "prospective buyer", but I am absolutely torn between 3 different breeds! I haven't even set out to investigate the third breed as I know which breeder I would like to get a pup from and know they have litters coming up in the next year or so.

So how do you decide? I've done countless pros/cons lists but still can't decide.

The breeds are another lab (they really are the perfect dog for our family, but I would really like a change after havin them around for all but maybe 5yrs of my life), a gsp and a gsd...

If you’re anything like me, you’ve already decided deep down… :) Sometimes you just have to go with your heart, when all other things are equal (sappy, I know).

Like when you can’t decide between 2 things, someone holds them behind their back and you choose one, and then realise that actually, you DO have a first preference after all ..

Lol I will definitely have to get my DH to hold the different breeds behind his back so I can choose that way ;)

He is no help as he said "that's fine" (his highest level of compliment/agreement) to all of them!

What would you choose If you had 3 kids, and two older labs? Does either of those factors really make that much difference when choosing a breed ?????

Cool! Have fun with deciding :thumbsup:

What would you choose If you had 3 kids, and two older labs? Does either of those factors really make that much difference when choosing a breed ?????

Cool! Have fun with deciding :thumbsup:

don't know too much about the breeds but given you already have gun dogs in the lab, the GSP would probably be the most compatible. but it probably doesn't matter too much

I think any of them would get along with older Labs and kids, though youngsters of all those breeds are exuberant and bouncy. They are different, and I would decide based on breed characteristics - build, temp, health, shedding (GSD shed a lot), what you like, how competitive in sports you want to be, etc.

The one thing stopping me from a GSD is that- I know this is going to sound bad, but I want to be able to take the dog EVERYWHERE, including kids soccer games, to the park etc and I think other people would be more accepting of a lab or GSP than a GSD... oh its all too hard! :laugh:

If your aim is agility and obedience, go to some trials and watch the different working styles, talk to the owners of successful dogs. For obedience any of those 3 breeds would be fine. For agility I would probably lean towards the GSP as being the best build for speed and less injuries. Of course the ferrari of agility dogs is the Border Collie :D but lots of other breeds do agility very well.

I think any of them would get along with older Labs and kids, though youngsters of all those breeds are exuberant and bouncy. They are different, and I would decide based on breed characteristics - build, temp, health, shedding (GSD shed a lot), what you like, how competitive in sports you want to be, etc.

I don't have any ambitions to go out and win every single trial I enter, but I would like to aim for qualifications. I wont be able to try every weekend or all weekend, so first and foremost the dog has to be a family pet. Not saying it wont be exercised everyday and just kept in the backyard, but it will need to be happy to just go with the flow. IYKWIM

There are some really nice GSP's around doing agility. I would worry about some of the labs as they seem a little to solid - some aren't but a lot are.

The lab breeder I have my name down with has field labs so are a lot "finer" boned than the usual show lab.

Choose based on the temperament. They are very different breeds. A smaller, lighter, (perhaps female) working line GSD might be more suitable for agility than a larger show line too, so that's worth considering. It all comes down to what you can live with I guess. smile.gif

As far as taking the dog everywhere with you? As long as it is well behaved and under control it shouldn't matter what breed it is. People who are wary of large dogs will be wary of either breed IMO.

Good luck with your decisionsmile.gif