The Best Heavy Duty Training Leash

>I have a 8 month old siberian husky and the 6 months or so i have owned her, she has managed to chew through 3 different leads, and two collars.

I was wondering what the best heavy duty lead would be for that breed of dog, that wont rip my hands up from chains, or wear away over time and rust from water. i do a lot of running with her so i want one that is easy to guide around therefore no leather.

I have seen a few leads some breeders use to train, that are very thick and durable but i cannot find appropriate ones for me

also collars to fit this standard too

Thanks for your help! :)

Ouch! What training have you done with her to teach her that equipment is NOT to be chewed? That's an important lesson for pups ..esp strong ones. :)

I will also ask how she gets an opportunity to do this, when you are on the other end of the leash ??? :D

that wont rip my hands up from chains,

You sound as if you have a bit of a problem when handling your pup - have you had some input from a trainer at any time? What did they suggest?

There are other sibe owners here- hopefully they can help you ...

K9pro sell very good leads, etc

Keep the leashes out of the dogs reach and don't leave her unattended whilst wearing one.

A good leather leash is going to be the strongest and nicest to hold, not sure what you mean by "easy to guide around" though? Good quality leather is pretty easy to manipulate...

Failing that try Gripper leashes (K9 Pro sell them). I think Sprenger also make one that is chain at the bottom with a leather top and handle. I'll see if I can find you a link.

eta here: http://www.fordogtra...roducts_id=2283

http://www.fordogtra...roducts_id=2671

http://www.fordogtra...roducts_id=4503

http://www.fordogtra...roducts_id=4504

Edited by SecretKei

I do quite a lot of training with her, she is just a very smart dog and knows where i put her leads and collars when not in use, and times when she has chewed them while connected to them is when we are camping and that lead it attached to a rope...

most leather leads i have had, when they bend over a certain time they wear away a little at a time.

She knows that chewing is bad, but she gets excitement out of it, just like chasing the possums while theyre on the fence. i can always tell when she knows whats wrong, and she is just in her siberian husky mannor

I dont have any trouble in handling her, she does know who is in command. but theres a difference in not being able to handle her and her mischievious behavior.

By saying easy to quide around, meaning when i run with her, leather leads are sort of in the way (is the best way of describing it) i am after a flexible lead but not a little flimsy one for a chihauhau.

Also those links from SecretKel, the first link is a lead i currently have now and that one is the one that hurts my hands when training her but it is very good when just walking her

Thanks for all your help! I shall let you all know what ones i decide on! :)

So it's mostly just when she is on a tie out that she chews the leash?

If she is finding your leashes and collars when they are not in use put them too high for her to reach or in a box or training bag so she can't reach them.

Our leather leashes don't fray or wear away and whilst they are extremely durable and strong they won't stand up to a dog chewing through them if the dog is persistent enough.

yes i am thinking i have to put all our dog stuff in a completely different place in the house, all her leads collars and toys are in a big box, with another box ontop of that with all their paper work in it, but she manages to knock that box off, its mainly because she knows her toys are in the same box.

so i think the best solution is to put it the cats rooms or something seeing as mars isnt allowed in there laugh.gif.

i think the reason why the leather lead didnt last long is because is wasnt the best quality of leather, i am looking on a few sites now and have found a few good looking leads and collars i think im going to go with

I love my gripper leashes and I use the long line all the time, but you'd still need to watch her to make sure she doesn't chew through it. Nothing beats the a good leather leash for me though! :)

I do quite a lot of training with her, she is just a very smart dog and knows where i put her leads and collars when not in use, and times when she has chewed them while connected to them is when we are camping and that lead it attached to a rope...

For camping, you could get a stake and a cable tie-out:

http://www.australianpetshop.com.au/shop/dog_tethering/tie-outs.php

Lupine leads have a lifetime guarantee against chewing. They are a webbing lead with a comfy handle AND they are very pretty! ( or handsome,as required!) Of course, my six month old Border collie has had a good go at his, but it appears to have strong nylon threads inside that keep it together. I have a friend whose dog chewed through it's Lupine lead and the company replaced it without any fuss.

For camping, you could get a stake and a cable tie-out:

http://www.australianpetshop.com.au/shop/dog_tethering/tie-outs.php

Maybe a crate might work better in this situation. You wouldn't want to lose her through leash failure.

My dog (when she was a puppy) chomped several of the webbing leads in to pieces. Took her about three chomps / seconds to set herself free. Mouth like scissors.

So I got a (cotton) rope lead (or a few of them) from an equestrian supplies shop.

One of them has been chomped through by her friend the bull terrier, but I tied that up and it's still good today. Makes a nice knot handle. And the rope is very soft on my hands and easy to hold I tie a few figure 8s along the length of it for grip, when holding or standing on the rope, a knot helps.

So still got all those leads.

The clips sometimes clag up at the beach but I can rinse the sand out in the salt water and they work again and then I rinse them out in fresh water when I get home and maybe add a spray of vegie oil and they're fine.

A friend got us a nice nylon lead from cheap as chips. She broke the plastic suage/clamp thingy on that one. So I was left with a bit of slippery rope and no attach points and dog nicked off. Argh.

http://www.saddleworldsydney.com.au/listprod-535/stable-grooming/leadropes/index.html

K9pro sell some lovely soft and very strong leather leads. I have one - it is absolutely a pleasure to handle. It won't fray, but obviously no chewing allowed.

I have a gripper long lead. Also very strong and reliable. Not as soft on the hands and not what I would call floppy. But I find it very easy to manage and it doesn't tangle like some long leads do.

Both have excellent clasps on them - very strong.

true tethering you should be using the steel cable covered in clear vinyl like the ones Kramar sell, super strong and have swivel points on each end to prevent knotting.

I get my leads from www.fordogtrainers.com, still in one piece even being used as a prey reward over the years.