Papers - How Long Do They Take?

Squinter

Sorry for the stupid question - I bought a main registered pup about 3 weeks ago....to say I wasn't impressed with the breeder is an understatement - but yeah still took the baby :mad I know I'm a idiot. But they were a LONG way from my home and the photos and info they sent throuugh didn't exactly match their actual circumstances....anyway at the time of taking the pup we were given him microchip number and vacc card but no papers, she said she would forward them asap but we have heard nothing since. How long does it normally take to get the papers through?

can take a few weeks now you have to microchip them before submitting the paperwork. Try ringing the VCA with your breeders name/prefix and they should be able to tell you if the breeder is currently registered and may even be able to tell you if the papers are being processed.

Sorry for the stupid question - I bought a main registered pup about 3 weeks ago....to say I wasn't impressed with the breeder is an understatement - but yeah still took the baby :mad I know I'm a idiot. But they were a LONG way from my home and the photos and info they sent throuugh didn't exactly match their actual circumstances....anyway at the time of taking the pup we were given him microchip number and vacc card but no papers, she said she would forward them asap but we have heard nothing since. How long does it normally take to get the papers through?

Hi i dont know how long it will take ,as of the first of this year we have to microchip the pups before we can register them and that can only be done after they are 6 weeks old, as before we could register them as soon as they where born. I would give the breeder a ring

I personally pay the extra $30 or whatever to get them den within 24 hours..for me it's not worth the hastle waiting for weeks and weeks, and in some cases months...

Edit for iPad...agh

Edited by Missymoo

Vic papers apparently take longer than nsw due to tight rules on mirochipping, etc to comply with new Companion Animals Act brought about to try and combat puppy farmers and backyard breeders. Which is a pretty good start! Why do you need the papers so quick anyhows? Some breeders I know dont sell puppies even on limited register unless buyer adheres to certain conditions and also only sell the "pick of the litter" on main register, because that is what is supposed to be done to better the breed!?

Edited by ...Pippa...

I'm still waiting for mine to come though Squinter and my baby is 12 weeks old today. She is registered and I have entered her in several shows under her breeder's number. When the registration is changed over, I'll enter her in shows after that under the new number :)

I don't need the papers quickly really, I was just curious because they said they would send them in the next couple of weeks.... I'm only a novice and would like to have a crack at showing even if we are no good. Worth a shot and would be a good experience. All in all we love the little man so much!!

Why do you need the papers so quick anyhows? Some breeders I know dont sell puppies even on limited register unless buyer adheres to certain conditions and also only sell the "pick of the litter" on main register, because that is what is supposed to be done to better the breed!?

Yeah I don't think the breeder was what she made herself out to be (nor are her dogs what I was lead to believe) and that is my loss (although gained a beautiful pet at any rate) it is my own fault and I fully acknowledge that.

I don't need the papers quickly really, I was just curious because they said they would send them in the next couple of weeks.... I'm only a novice and would like to have a crack at showing even if we are no good. Worth a shot and would be a good experience. All in all we love the little man so much!!

Why do you need the papers so quick anyhows? Some breeders I know dont sell puppies even on limited register unless buyer adheres to certain conditions and also only sell the "pick of the litter" on main register, because that is what is supposed to be done to better the breed!?

Yeah I don't think the breeder was what she made herself out to be (nor are her dogs what I was lead to believe) and that is my loss (although gained a beautiful pet at any rate) it is my own fault and I fully acknowledge that.

Don't be discouraged, that was sort of how I got started too. I just learnt to try to seek as much advice as I could for the breed/use I was interested in. Good luck :)

Edited by ...Pippa...

can take a few weeks now you have to microchip them before submitting the paperwork. Try ringing the VCA with your breeders name/prefix and they should be able to tell you if the breeder is currently registered and may even be able to tell you if the papers are being processed.

I must have been lucky then - my puppy flew up from her wonderful breeders in Victoria last week at 8 weeks old, and the next day in the mail were all her registration papers, microchip number, vaccination form etc. I opted to go straight up to Erskine Park to Dogs NSW and have the transfer done on the spot though it did cost quite a bit more - but at least it's all done now, and she's just over 9 weeks old :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for mine to come though Squinter and my baby is 12 weeks old today. She is registered and I have entered her in several shows under her breeder's number. When the registration is changed over, I'll enter her in shows after that under the new number :)

I'm in this situation too, by the time they are out of baby puppy and can start earning points towards ch. you would hope they have come through

The registration number doesn't change with the change of ownership.

Obviously the membership number does :laugh: