Bald Patch Gone Black

Leelaa17

About two weeks ago i was scratching maxs head and a little lump of scab and fur came off - it didnt hurt him, he didnt even notice. I kept scratching and a circle of hair came off with the scabby-like skin. I didnt think much of it and have been keeping an eye on it to see if the hair grows back.

The skin was pink but now it has gone black. Im worried. He gets wormed regularly, but he has had mites before. Im more worried about the fact that his skin has turned black.

His behaviour hasnt changed in the slightest and he is eating and drinking normally.

Any thoughts/advice?

Black skin is normal part of the healing process.

If Max is a German Shepherd.

Then he is Agouti like Anatolian.

Skin goes black as part of the healing process.

Pink skin = inflamed

Black skin = area of inflammation is no longer angry and is getting better :)

Black skin is normal part of the healing process.

If Max is a German Shepherd.

Then he is Agouti like Anatolian.

Skin goes black as part of the healing process.

Pink skin = inflamed

Black skin = area of inflammation is no longer angry and is getting better :)

That's interesting lilli, I didn't know that but when Mo had a bad cut on one of his paws it was also black as it was healing.

Guest RosieFT

This is an apt thread for me too! Rosie had a very raised, but small scrape on her hip/thigh that took awhile to heal, but is now completely black. I was wondering what was going on there. Thought maybe it would scar and stay black.

before you panic. and google all sorts of odd things ....how about asking the vet ? :) ..

Ditto. My suggestion wasn't intended to alarm the OP, merely to point out that there are other things which can cause the symptoms.

before you panic. and google all sorts of odd things ....how about asking the vet ? :) ..

Ditto. My suggestion wasn't intended to alarm the OP, merely to point out that there are other things which can cause the symptoms.

These symptoms?

About two weeks ago i was scratching maxs head and a little lump of scab and fur came off - it didnt hurt him, he didnt even notice. I kept scratching and a circle of hair came off with the scabby-like skin. I didnt think much of it and have been keeping an eye on it to see if the hair grows back.

I don't think so :)

Edited by lilli