K9 Showstopper Update

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to revive an old thread...just wondered if anyone had any feedback now that show stopper has been available for a while?

I read a few glowing reports online so i thought I would look into it a bit more.

My dogs aren't shown or anything like that - I am more interested in it as a way to ensure that the pups are getting all the correct vitamins/minerals they need since we are feeding raw. The pups are doing very well on their current diet I just want to make sure they are not lacking anything since I am inexperienced with raw feeding.

When we did try it, I found that too much of the product was needed for the Danes and therefore they ended up with a powdery meal. I couldn't keep them on it long enough to test it properly because they didn't like that much powder in their food and we went through it way too fast.

Mine are on 1/2 a scoop - it says to build up to the full dose over two weeks. Their full dose is 3/4 of a scoop. We will see what they think of that amount? They do have pretty good shiney coats anyway so will see if it makes a difference.

yeah one of the things I was wondering was if it is ok to give less than the recommended amount... or if this ends up negating any of the benefits that they would otherwise get.

It sounds like it would get pretty expensive for 2 dogs if I gave them the recommended amount (3/4 scoop i think). I'm not sure how many scoops to a package... I read 18 serves somewhere but that doesn't sound like much? I can't imagine how quickly great danes would go through it!

Hunter and Juno also have shiny coats already... it would be interesting to see if they can get shinier! :D i am glad you said your dogs like the taste OSoSwift ... Hunter eats anything but Juno is quite picky!

The container I have is 4lbs/1.816kgs - so rather large.

I have been giving them the half scoop for around 2 weeks - so 14 doses each and there is still heaps left.

The label says to start with half a scoop and build up to the full dose over 2 weeks, daily amount can be divided between feeds. Amount fed can be tailored to the individual dogs needs.

Oh it says one scoop is three tablespoons.

ETA - just weighed one scoops worth - just scooped out, not packed and scrapped flat at the top with my finger there was 32grams of powder in one scoop.

1816gms/ 32gms (scoop) is 56.75 :)

Hope that helps :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I wonder if it helps the speed of coat growth. I have one here shaved shoulder to stern on one side for an op, it is taking so long to cover over I might try some of this. If it stays this slow she'll be at risk of sunburn.

Not sure but I made a dog pretty bald one after attacking her with a zoom groom post babies - she had a show 10 days later - eek!

I fed her raw meat, Tryptophan - I think?? it was a while ago - sardines and Nutrigel - quite a bit. Within the 10 days required she had a short but very healthy and glossy coat :)

I have nutrigel and fish oil so can start there. Where her leg was shaved for the IV the coat has recovered well, but bits on her side seem almost as bald as when it was done. I guess I can only try a few things and see, she isn't shown anymore I just don't want her nekkid for too long :laugh:

Edited by Diva

I have a 3 year old Basenji boy with a pretty poor coat, that I have tried just about everything on, including Showstopper... Didn't work for him at all :cry:...

I am guessing you would have tried Livamol??

Edited by OSoSwift

I have a 3 year old Basenji boy with a pretty poor coat, that I have tried just about everything on, including Showstopper... Didn't work for him at all :cry:...

Mmmm no I actually dont think I have :o... What is it OSoSwift, and where can I get some???

Mmmm no I actually dont think I have :o... What is it OSoSwift, and where can I get some???

It is a feed supplement generally fed by horse people but other livestock people use it as do dog people. Is very good for improving coat healtha nd shine/lustre but also turns Chestnuts liver chestnut, bays a lovely red. IT is not particularly expensive and you should be able to find small bags of it in some petstock like stores of horse/livestock feed stores.

Here is some info on it. IT says dogs get 1 to 3 tablespoons. I LOVE the smell :)

http://www.animalhealthstore.com.au/livamol.html