Perforated Intestine - Update: Peritonitis

Lisey

My dog Lola is the emergency vet right now, about to have an operation as they believe she has perforated her intestine, most likely due to a bone that has gotten stuck. Has anyone else been through this and did your dog survive? They have told me its really serious and it's 50/50.

:-(

Edited by Lisey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all goes well with this surgery. How scared you must feel. Such a situation as a bone stuck can create alot of problems that cant be anticipated pre surgery....fingers crossed the guarded prognosis is updated soon to a better one. Hoping all goes well for you & Lola.

She has come through the surgery, part of her bowel had to be removed as it had died and the surgeon has had to clean out a lot of fluid and bacteria. I will get another update at 8.30. I hope she is ok.

Thank you. I've just spoken to the vet again and it was Peritonitis. She is doing resonable and is apparently responsive, but their biggest concern at the moment is her blood pressure. It's just a bit of a waiting game now which is really hard.

hoping your up date was a good one. dogs can come back from the death... buddha was dead... or as good as from his snake bite... he's the same dog slightly less goey tho... but thats fine, we still have him.

I've just been & visited her and she was really out of it. To be expected though I guess. She did know that we were there & was happy to see us. They have got her heart rate up to a more stable level which is great news but the vet had still said at this stage it's 50/50 if she will make it :-(

He has now told me it was not a bone stuck, just a freak thing that he doesn't see often. Somehow the bowel has twisted causing part of it to die. He removed 30cm of bowel which seems like heaps but apparently that's not a massive amount which is good, so if she does pull through she won't have any ongoing issues with her bowel.

It's up to her now to fight off the infection.

ETA - but it wasn't bloat....

Edited by Lisey

My little guy Max had an abdominal infection (gall bladder, liver, pancreas) and ended up at SASH in critical shape.

The infection was massive and his blood pressure was really low. He was on 15 minute observations.

The thing that saved his life was a plasma transfusion. Expensive but worth it. He's as healthy as a very tiny horse now.

I'm not sure if it would be indicated in your case but perhaps something to consider/ask about.

Fingers crossed :crossfingers: for a speedy recovery

My little guy was nearly 10 and ended up with pancreatitis, peritonitis and was that underweight after 2 surgeries and being on just a drip for so long the vet didn't know how he had any reserves left to even fight to live. It was very draining and we were even told to say our goodbyes but he came home after a 2 week vet stay so have faith :)

My little guy Max had an abdominal infection (gall bladder, liver, pancreas) and ended up at SASH in critical shape.

The infection was massive and his blood pressure was really low. He was on 15 minute observations.

The thing that saved his life was a plasma transfusion. Expensive but worth it. He's as healthy as a very tiny horse now.

I'm not sure if it would be indicated in your case but perhaps something to consider/ask about.

Fingers crossed :crossfingers: for a speedy recovery

Glad that Max is ok now :-)

Lola did receive a plasma transfusion in the early hours of this morning.... Hopefully it really helps her

I've just received the worst call of my life. Lola has just passed away. Her heart stopped.

I love you Lola and you have been taking far too young. RIP my little darling xoxoxoxoxoxo