Comfortis For Dogs

Can someone please provide any feedback on the flea treatment for Dogs- Comfortis? I am looking towards giving my 3yo maltese shuh tzu this flea treatment instead of flea treatment on the neck (was thinking of Revolution). I am just afraid to give him flea treatment on the neck again, as last month I gave him Advantix and he had a reaction to it and trip to the vet, later I googled it and read horror stories about this flea treatment so now staying away from 'Bayer' products.

Is Comfortis highly effective? has your dog had any side effects?

I use Comfortis and find it very effective without any side effects ... but if I was you I would be concerned to use a tablet without first finding out what ingredient in Advantix caused the reaction and then establishing if the same ingredient is in Comfortis (or any other treatment).

Thanks Tilly,

The ingredient which I believe triggered off my pup reaction to Advantix was Permethrin (44.0%). I have checked Comfortis and it doesnt have any ingrediants at all which Advantix had in it.

I use Comfortis and find it very effective without any side effects ... but if I was you I would be concerned to use a tablet without first finding out what ingredient in Advantix caused the reaction and then establishing if the same ingredient is in Comfortis (or any other treatment).

Edited by maltese11

Guest lavendergirl

I don't know about Comfortis - but have you tried Frontline? A lot of people say it is not effective but I have found it OK for my small breed dog and it seems to have a low rate of bad reactions reported.

I think its something to chat to your vet about regarding the specific condition of your dog.

There have been adverse reactions such as vomiting with Comfortis but feeding with the tablet reduces the effect. Comfortis has so far had positive feedback regarding results- particularly in areas where frontline and advantage are not working as well.

I have spoken to my vet about it and she recommends it, but at the end of the day we aren't 100% certain this was caused by Advantix but i am pretty sure it was, as i applied it on his neck on monday and by thursday he was itching and trip to the vet. He used to be on frontline but got 2 fleas whilst being on it, hence why i changed to Advantix.

I have spoken to my vet about it and she recommends it, but at the end of the day we aren't 100% certain this was caused by Advantix but i am pretty sure it was, as i applied it on his neck on monday and by thursday he was itching and trip to the vet. He used to be on frontline but got 2 fleas whilst being on it, hence why i changed to Advantix.

Then if your comfortable then go for it!!

ETA- my dog also had a reaction to Advantage but I am lucky that I have kept her flea free with environmental control.

Any tips for environmental control? I would love to not give him any flea treatment what so ever, its just bad chemicals I am putting on his skin :(

ETA- my dog also had a reaction to Advantage but I am lucky that I have kept her flea free with environmental control.

One of the most common side effects of Comfortis is vomiting, it is important to note that the manufacturer advises it is to be given with a meal, which greatly reduces the chance of them vomiting.

I have many clients on Comfortis due to the massive flea outbreak that our area has had over the past year and it has worked extremely well.

It is possible for an animal to react to any product used on them like us they can have sensitivities and can be intolerant to different things.

How long are they usually neausous for after taking something like this.. I normally give rogue food with his but i was in a rush and just gave him the chew tablet.. he has been a bit off this arvo and he gagged a couple of times so I am thinking this is why.. We are going to training tonight so if he would isn't feeling well I'll stay home.. He had his dose at 2.30pm ( he is asleep at the moment :-) )

Any tips for environmental control? I would love to not give him any flea treatment what so ever, its just bad chemicals I am putting on his skin :(

I had a professional bug guy come in and spray the outside area- so eliminating any brought in by cats etc. I then used sprays that kill eggs etc everywhere in the house possible- under beds etc (then let the place air for a couple of hrs). And I also used capstar semi-regularly. And now just keep up with spraying the house every few months and vacuuming regularly.

But not everyone manages to completely get it under control that way- but treating the environment will help even if you do use comfortis or topicals.

I gave to my old Stafford without any issues at all but our new boy vomited it back within a couple of hours on the 3 occasions that I tried him with it.

Make sure you give it to the dog on a full stomach..

Just gave my pup Comfortis. he ate a FULL meal and gave him tablet and more food. finger's crossed i dont see any reaction and no vomiting. going to keep a close eye on him

Ziggy wouldn't throw up until about 3am after having it around 6pm after dinner...

Otherwise he was fine, no other signs of discomfort or illness...

I use Comfortis and it is unparalleled for flea control. I also sell this product at my work and everybody who uses it raves about it, very few things get the amount of positive feedback Comfortis has!

I do recommend feed this one with food though as others have said, on an empty stomach it can cause vomiting.

Thanks 'Chris the Rebel Wolf'. My pup has been fine since i gave it to him, and yes definately on a FULLLLL stomach

I use Comfortis and it is unparalleled for flea control. I also sell this product at my work and everybody who uses it raves about it, very few things get the amount of positive feedback Comfortis has!

I do recommend feed this one with food though as others have said, on an empty stomach it can cause vomiting.