Heat Pads / Snuggle Safe?

Red Fox

What's best to use in a crate to keep a dog warm at night?

My poor Ridgie has a space blanket over his crate (reflective tarp thing to retain heat), normal blanket over that, padding between the tray and mattress, polar fleece blanket, full size minky blanket and a chilly dog sweater on and he's still waking up cold at 4am!

I'm not keen on the heated pet beds that will take up the entire crate, but thinking either a small heat pad http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=274. Are these suitable for inside crates? What kind of heat do they put out?

Or perhaps a snuggle safe?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS well as the spca eblanket, I would get a BIG doona from opshop or somewhere, and insulate the crate over the space blanket :) That works really well! Obviously the MOST important bit of a crate to seal/cover is the bit near the floor ..as this is where the drafts will be sneaking in.(cold air sits at floor level.)

I buy lots of mattress protectors, old electric blankets and doonas from the opshop ..and they hold the warmth well :)

The other thing, which probably would be messy in the nth degree is shreddedpaper, in which teh dog makes a nest ..so on all sides they are protected/insulated :) We do similar here with raw wool ... the dogs have such a cosy nest :)

Not really. It's in my (carpeted) bedroom next to the bed. I don't use a heater so the house is cold - but certainly not freezing. It's been getting down to 0 degrees overnight and will get a bit colder as we move in to winter.

I can't do the shredded paper but will put a thick wad of newspaper between the tray of the crate and the mattress tonight to insulate it from the floor. The blanket I have over the top is large but not as thick as a doona so might swap it for something heavier. The space blanket is wrapped tightly around and zip tied down to the ground like a crate cover though.

eta, the minky is pretty big too and pushed up enough around the sides to snuggle into. He's just really feeling the cold this year!

The Mali on the other hand pushes her big pink minky to the side and sleeps on the canvas mat on her back. shrug.gif

Edited by SecretKei

Hamlet just has his polar fleece coat on, and he sleeps on a shadecloth bed with a blanket & pillow ..it is very cold in my room, too- I have a window open!..it was -2 here this morning...

..If he doesn't move around much. or chew..maybe make him a 'sleeping bag' using a BIG doona ?, to be used in the crate?

Hamlet just has his polar fleece coat on, and he sleeps on a shadecloth bed with a blanket & pillow ..it is very cold in my room, too- I have a window open!..it was -2 here this morning...

..If he doesn't move around much. or chew..maybe make him a 'sleeping bag' using a BIG doona ?, to be used in the crate?

He doesn't chew at all so that helps. Not sure if he'd stay in/under a sleeping bag or not. I tucked him under a blanket last night and he managed to kick it off at some point.

Not sure if he'd stay in/under a sleeping bag or not.

I was thinking of a big doona shape which would fit inside teh crate ... so he can't really get out of it? An open side near the door , but floor/walls/top enclosed?

if a dog did rip up a beanbag it would be a catastrophe.

*nods* :o Mitchell did that the first time he was in a boarding kennel .. his nice custom made doggie beanbag bed .....The kennel owners thought it was a white Christmas!!

I bought a snuggle safe when my dog was a puppy, but I stole it and use it every single day for myself. :) They are great, but I think a doona and some blankets to snuggle with would provide some good warmth.

After all that he seriously can't be cold??

As for the tarp thing, replace with a blanket it's obviously not working anyway.

Well you wouldn't think so. Makes me think that the cold is rising up through the ground...

The tarp/space blanket is this http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=218&ParentCat=254&string=space

All-Weather Space BlanketMPI OutdoorsThe original Space® brand blanket, this All-Weather Blanket evolved from an insulation material developed for use by NASA in the Apollo program. The blanket is a four-ply laminate of clear polyethylene film, a precise vacuum deposition of pure aluminum, a special reinforcing fabric, and a layer of colored polyethylene film. This blanket's unique insulating capabilities allow it to reflect or retain over 80% of radiated heat. In the hot months when you're outdoors with your dog, face the reflective side out to keep sun and heat away. In the cold months, cover your dog's crate with the reflective side facing in to keep available heat in. This blanket is 5' x 7' and weighs only 10 oz. It is waterproof, windproof, compact, lightweight, durable, and has grommeted corners. Great for sunshade, windbreak, or ground cover at agility trials. To clean, simply wipe with a damp cloth or sponge.

Thanks Gretel / VJB, might grab a snuggle safe and try it out. If the dog doesn't like it I'll keep it for myself instead. smile.gif