Boredom Buster For Multi Dog Household

I walk Gus in the morning and play with him for an hour before I go to work, OH has been home this week and told me Gus is ripping washing off the line... obviously he is bored.

What are some great interactive toys for two dogs that dont involve treats, my life would be soooo much easier if I could leave food around these two but I cant... Nala gets pushy, bossy and doesnt quit when it comes to her food, so I need other solutions... P.s I did have quite a few toys out there for him but they have gone missing...and he still seems to want to distroy everything else that is not his toys.....

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

What about water? You could set up a clam shell with toys and a sand pit with hidden toys. A rope with a rag on it hanging from a tree makes a great flirt pole as well.

I do have a clam!!, I think sand would be good... i've tried water they arnt too interested in the water

Sounds like his mind needs to be worn out a little. Do you do some training with him during your hour long play session in the morning? I would do some shaping games etc. during this time to tire him out mentally and see how that goes.

You can use scents to create interest and play.

Scents such as Aniseed, Cinnamon, Vanilla etc. Pop some drops / power in a little water, shake and then spray on toys or whatever you want them to show interest in.

Hanging toys in trees, hiding them, partially burying them, putting them in tapped up boxes etc.

I walk Gus in the morning and play with him for an hour before I go to work, OH has been home this week and told me Gus is ripping washing off the line... obviously he is bored.

What are some great interactive toys for two dogs that dont involve treats, my life would be soooo much easier if I could leave food around these two but I cant... Nala gets pushy, bossy and doesnt quit when it comes to her food, so I need other solutions... P.s I did have quite a few toys out there for him but they have gone missing...and he still seems to want to distroy everything else that is not his toys.....

3 toys max and rotate them daily otherwise they loose interest in them :) Just make them work for those toys as per the above post.

I had a blue heeler ages ago that used to pull the washing off the line to try and catch the pegs when they flew off!

He didnt ever bother with touching the clothes once they were down, it was so annoying, but funny too!

Does he like to play fetch/ chase balls?

I've got a ball obsessed dog and have considered buying him an automatic ball thrower thingy and teaching him to reload it.

Unfortunately he is soooo ball obsessed he would run himself into the ground, :o so hence, he doesn't have one!

I think his just a menace!! the thing is any toys that are left out will be destroyed by Nala.... nothing lasts more then 5 minutes when she is about.

I'm going to get some sand today for the clam... shove some toys in there and see how we go.

But as I have discovered it doesnt matter what toys are out there, if the couch has been left out he will start to tear up the seats, if there is washing he will pull it down, if there is none of the above he ill dig.... I understand he is bored and this is something I need to correct and quite fast... but I have spent quite a lot of money on toys that have not lasted too long...

Soo the 3 toys rotating is good, also spraying them! never thought of that!! but what toys have people had success with? he loves squeezers, can anyone recommend some great durable toys?

He obviously enjoys dismantling things so make him some toy puzzles - get old T-shirts or polar fleece type material or other stretchy stuff and tie knots in them - some small some big. Usually you'd hide treats in some knots but as this isn't going to work for you, you could get a small piece of cloth and spray it with a different scent and ties that inside some of the knots. Mine love their puzzles...

Maybe you could try hanging some balloons full of water on the line to see if that would discourage him, or some old unused clothes with some kind of spray scent on them that dogs dont like.

He obviously enjoys dismantling things so make him some toy puzzles - get old T-shirts or polar fleece type material or other stretchy stuff and tie knots in them - some small some big. Usually you'd hide treats in some knots but as this isn't going to work for you, you could get a small piece of cloth and spray it with a different scent and ties that inside some of the knots. Mine love their puzzles...

My dog would eat that, he eats everything lol

Maybe you could try hanging some balloons full of water on the line to see if that would discourage him, or some old unused clothes with some kind of spray scent on them that dogs dont like.

Yea thats a little dangerous.... Nala is a water baby... Gus just likes the ocean... if one of thoes poped while i was not home and Gus ate it (which he would) i would probably come home to a suffocated dog lol.

My boy has the Home Alone and Heavy Duty Turbo Chook ... and he loves them.

We also use soft drink bottles ... hole in the bottom then thread rope through the bottom and out the neck and string a few together.

i tend to disagree with the whole idea he bored.. in the traditional sense... and the clothes have become his entertainment. he found something to keep him busy..

i just find my washing line out side the yard good... but leave nothing out.. sohpie turns 4 in 3 days and still chews things to bits... if any thing is left out.

in an ideal world you would leave stuff out, but in our case its best just to pick up and leave nothing around for her to chew.

i tend to disagree with the whole idea he bored.. in the traditional sense... and the clothes have become his entertainment. he found something to keep him busy..

i just find my washing line out side the yard good... but leave nothing out.. sohpie turns 4 in 3 days and still chews things to bits... if any thing is left out.

in an ideal world you would leave stuff out, but in our case its best just to pick up and leave nothing around for her to chew.

Yes well if it were my house I would do that, but I share a house with my boyfriend and his family... so im just trying to exhaust my options so he is less of a hindrance to other members in the house.