Wellness Dog Food

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive tried the whitefish and sweet potato one. Dogs like it, even the fussy one, so that's a good start.

Didn't notice a difference in stool, coat or health on it, though I don't feed a predominantly kibble diet.

I must also say I work at Petbarn and have only seen a couple of people return it, one to get the 'small dog' stuff as the kibble was too big for her little dog. So no different than the other super premium brands on that face.

I started on the Fish based kibble to see how we went with on going skin issues. The food seems to be a lot more concentrated then what I have fed in the past (holistic and Hills ZD) so ended up putting 2 kilos on my dog within a week. The packaging is in pounds and I had no idea about the pounds :o so I went with 2 cups of food like I had been feeding with Hills ZD. After the first week of noticing him looking a little bit bigger then normal I cut down the 3/4 cup of food and his weight is back to where it once was. I am currently feeding the chicken based kibble just for a change and since being on Wellness I've noticed his itchy has reduced by a lot, still scratches and rubs on the odd occasion but no where near as much as he use to which was causing him too break the skin around his face. I don't know for certain if it's the food that helped him out or another product I'm trialling too but as I haven't had to give him any of his medication in 2-3 weeks I'll leave things the way they are :).

I got a sample can of Chicken Stew and all I can say is it smelt good enough to eat myself :p.

Guest lavendergirl

My little guy is not keen on the kibble but the canned stews are yummy. Pity because I liked the smaller kibble size. He doesn't like the treats either.

Yeah that is good about Jerry and his itchiness. My pups a bit of a scratchy dog as well, her skin is a bit dry actually. She's on proplan pup large breed at the moment I think I'll either change her to sensitive skin proplan or one of these wellness fish based ones. She likes the small wellness cans I think I'll try a stew for her. She's 12 months end if September so I'll give one of these kibbles a go then I think.

I've picked up a couple bags of the puppy for Maya, my Anatolian, while it's on the buy one get one free special. She loves it, but them, she doesn't strike me as the fussiest pup in the world :laugh:

I did get a couple cans on sample for both Maya and my cat, Sage. I am the biggest critic of canned food you'll find and I never feed any to my dogs or cat, even the premium stuff, but I did give this a go. Good meaty and vegie chunks in the dog food (Maya unsurprisingly scoffed it) and Sage was so enthusiastic about the cat canned food, I would actually considering gettnig him the odd one as a treat :)

We're on our 2nd bag of Wellness Puppy for a Staffy x foster dog (9 months) and no issues.

The dog likes it, haven't experienced any stinky farting or bad stomach noises, dog appears happy & healthy.

I'm not sure it's any better or any worse than any of the other premium kibbles though given the dog was healthy already.

I have to find Grumpy some new food after our short experiment with Eukanuba veterinary didn't work too well. It hasn't made Grumpy sick but he does have a noisy tummy at night, a concern given his Cushing's and low grade pancreatitis. I talked over Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Canadae, and Holistic Select with his vet. The vet would prefer Wellness or Holistic Select given the lower fat content. What would people suggest? Is there much to choose between them?

Guest lavendergirl

I have to find Grumpy some new food after our short experiment with Eukanuba veterinary didn't work too well. It hasn't made Grumpy sick but he does have a noisy tummy at night, a concern given his Cushing's and low grade pancreatitis. I talked over Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Canadae, and Holistic Select with his vet. The vet would prefer Wellness or Holistic Select given the lower fat content. What would people suggest? Is there much to choose between them?

I think Wellness and TOTW have the same fat content but TOTW has grain free and Wellness doesn't, except for the cans which are very good. Canidae grain free is higher fat and protein than both Wellness and TOTW. Depends if you are looking for a grain free variety? I like TOTW even though the kibble size is larger and the fish formula is good for the skin - not sure if that would suit Grumpy's tummy?

Edited to add - my little guy was not keen on Wellness kibble but likes the TOTW.

Edited by lavendergirl

I know all dogs are different, but TOTW didn't suit my lot at all. They did the most foul farts I have ever smelt in my life - at one stage, I thought there must be a toxic gas leak and we left the house. We then had to evacuate the car as I realised the smell was coming from them. True story.

Excuse my ignorance but what is TOTW?

I went to Petbarn the other day and they had a lady there promoting Nutro Natural Choice dog food.

Has anyone got any feedback/reviews for Nutro Natural Choice?

Guest lavendergirl

Excuse my ignorance but what is TOTW?

I went to Petbarn the other day and they had a lady there promoting Nutro Natural Choice dog food.

Taste of the Wild :)

i used Nutro for years, one of the best foods for Atlas, his fur was never as nice as when he is on there.

Now its only Kaos i will stick with the royal canin. She does well on it and i can buy the smaller bags now

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested to know more about this product too. I was given enough samples of both the cat and dog dry food that I have enough for a full 3kg bag!

I'm also looking into switching my guys off Royal Canin because I'm looking for a cheaper option to try. With the RC, one's on the Small Dog sensible and the other is on the Medium Breed sensible so I'm looking into any brand that doesn't differentiate between dog weights. It also appears that RC has changed the formula of their Sensible food as the new stuff isn't as greasy as my previous batches. Dogs are still doing okay on it but this Nutro Natural Choice sounded interesting.