Whippet Won't Gain Weight

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you take a fecal sample to the vet when you take her and get it checked for coccidia and giardia. Either of these will stop her from putting on weight no matter what she is fed. Worming tablets will not kill these protozoa,you need special drugs.

I want to know where are the "breeders" in all of this, why is once again the registered breeders are left to dish out the advice.

These are backyard bred so the 'breeders' don't give a stuff & probably don't know how to feed properly anyway. They're just in it to make money.

I would suggest you take a fecal sample to the vet when you take her and get it checked for coccidia and giardia. Either of these will stop her from putting on weight no matter what she is fed. Worming tablets will not kill these protozoa,you need special drugs.

THIS...

My first thought was coccidia or giardia too. A fecal sample test is not expensive - please take her and a sample of her stool to the vet first thing on Monday. Don't forget to give the vet as complete a history of the dog as you can... ie. the "gastro" from 2 months ago.

This dog WILL die if her issues are not addressed properly or correctly.

T.

Guest lavendergirl

I want to know where are the "breeders" in all of this, why is once again the registered breeders are left to dish out the advice.

Plenty of advice here from others who are not breeders. Whether the OP takes any advice is up to her - I always find these subjects interesting regardless.

I think chicken wings, carcuses are cheaper than pal I get 10 bags full of carcuses for $12 from lenards I freeze them and 1. lasts rogue 2 days.. chicken wings you can buy for 2.99 a kilo sometimes the butcher has them for 1.50 a kg.. I freeze these also to last longer.. good luck

Gawd where are you buying your chicken wings please.....great price much cheaper than I can get them. I go through 9 a day so the cheaper I can get them the better ! Sorry this is OT .

My local butcher has VIP specials :-) I fill my freezer when i see the sign out the front :-) I'm in QLD .

I think chicken wings, carcuses are cheaper than pal I get 10 bags full of carcuses for $12 from lenards I freeze them and 1. lasts rogue 2 days.. chicken wings you can buy for 2.99 a kilo sometimes the butcher has them for 1.50 a kg.. I freeze these also to last longer.. good luck

Gawd where are you buying your chicken wings please.....great price much cheaper than I can get them. I go through 9 a day so the cheaper I can get them the better ! Sorry this is OT .

Edited by mumof4girls

my sister is going to make some satin balls for Misty, When she picked her up she took Misty to the vets to weigh her she weighed 9.9kgs. She then feed Misty 400grams of pet mince 2 chicken necks and some goodos each day, took her back to the vets to re weigh a week later 9.8kgs. I've told her this dog needs to see a vet, She rang the vets up and they said give it another month.If it were me I would have demended them to see her. I couldn't get Misty in the vets when she was here as they were closed, My sister picked up Misty on monday early afternoon.

god that is not enough food for that poor dog. And what kind of vet says give it a month ...

what area is she in for goodness sake, either this is becoming a wind up or if your sister does not have the money for proper veterinary analysis give the dog to someone who will. I have an avenue for this dog if it's becoming cost prohibative. I'm tempted to give your sister $100 for the dog just to get it to a vet.

Mildura area in victoria. The vets she takes her dog too is the same I take my dogs too, They can be a pain sometimes eg not listening to the owner of the dog. As it is I will have to take my chihuahua Rascal back in for the same problem I took him in last week coughing,snorting he has collapse trachea but the coughing and snorting is worse, He isn't himself. He is still drinking and eating but will not eat bones which he loves to chew on. The other vet charges the earth and are just the same.

Does anyone associated with this dog care enough to get her assessed by a vet? You say your sister has been to the vet twice but only to weigh her, and you had the dog for four days but the vet wasn't open during that time.

and the Whippy needs a proper balanced diet
and proper balanced owners. Poor dog.

Is there anyway you could at least get her to take a faecal sample to the vets so they could test for Giardia etc, with the earlier symptoms she had its possible she has some kind of bug and left untreated can be deadly. it is also possible or her to have Giardia or Selmonella and not be showing any symptoms, both of which can be extremely serious and it's also in the best interest of the people she is in contact with to find out exactly what is wrong with her. Hope she gets the help she needs. Have any of your dogs been sick after having Misty stay?

Is there anyway you could at least get her to take a faecal sample to the vets so they could test for Giardia etc, with the earlier symptoms she had its possible she has some kind of bug and left untreated can be deadly. it is also possible or her to have Giardia or Selmonella and not be showing any symptoms, both of which can be extremely serious and it's also in the best interest of the people she is in contact with to find out exactly what is wrong with her. Hope she gets the help she needs. Have any of your dogs been sick after having Misty stay?

No my dogs have been good none are lossing weight fast considering Rascal is still on a diet to lose weight he is half of what he was tho. Rascal I think does need a antibiotic as he is sneezing bad I think what they call reverse sneezing, He shakes his head when he sneezes, looks like a helicopator taking off lol. Other then that all my dogs are healthy, I'll be making a appointment for Rascal tommorrow to get checked out.

I can't imagine a vet saying leave a dog with weight loss for a month... did she actually ask them? The food she is feeding is low quality and feeding a whole heap of pet mince is likely to lead her to get pancreatitis as its full of fat. This dog needs good quality protein and a balanced diet that is highly digestible. Sounds like she needs a blood test. This issue has been going on for so long I can't believe the dog hasn't seen a vet yet, how long is she going to wait.. until Misty is dead? Surprised no one has reported her to RSPCA if Misty is as skinny as you describe.