Ziggy And His Collar

Staffyluv

Ziggy is very attached to his collar.. If I take it off him, he will carry it around until I put it back on him. Or if I put it on the coffee table and tell him to leave it, he will sit next to the table with his nose on the collar until I put it back on... He will even sook sometimes...

Our old boy never wore a collar around the house and to be honest I would prefer it if Ziggy didn't either but it seems to stress him if he doesn't have it on.

All this from a pound pup who we couldn't get a lead on to begin with. He used to run away or when it was on he would jump and throw himself on the ground...

Does anyone else have a dog so attached to their collar?

We have just ordered a lovely Ruthless collar and lead, so I am hoping it is not this particular collar and that he just feels secure with something around his neck...

Kuges was the same, Ella is the same, don't know about Rolf yet but I wouldn't worry about Ziggy.

If you want it off when he's home, just take it off with very little fuss, put it somewhere he can't see it, praise and treats to distract him. If he doesn't wear it all the time, he should be less obsessed. Mine are obsessed because they never have their collars off so I think they feel 'naked' without them. :laugh:

If you are worried about the safety aspect, you could get him a breakaway collar just for home?

Oh and make sure you post pics when you get your Ruthless gear! :D

Edited by dee lee

Leo just loves you to put it on or change collars! Especially to his swimming collar, which is nylon not leather. I need to make hom wear the nylon one more tho as he tends to fall in the dam pretty often! He likes to pretend he had no idea it was there!

Not sure how he'd react to it.being off might have to try later.

I will post pics when we get our Ruthless gear... I am very excited about it, we went with the lone ranger stars in brass on black leather...

It is more that I have never seen a need for a collar at home and his reaction to not wearing one... I just thought it was a bit odd.. I guess they are all different and I know how Ollie used to love getting his collar off, where Ziggy is the exact opposite.

I thought Ollie had his little quirks but this guy has even more, he is such a funny boy and an absolute delight to have around...