Cookie - Dumped Kitten

oh such great news K9a!

how is her back looking, is there an obvious deviation in her spine? could she perhaps have been just so malnourished she had muscle dystrophy and is now slowly building her strength back up?

No there's no obvious deviation Panto, and I've checked 1000 times aswell.

She was very malnourished but has started to gain a little weight now and seems to be getting stronger by the day. She's also alot brighter eyed, and I think we may of been lucky with the cat flu as she seems to be almost over it.

Every morning and afternoon I see that shopping trolley still sitting by the side of the road.

I think how lucky she was Mum went past when she did because if she hadn't of spotted her when she did, Cookie would be laying in it dead now. She would of died alone in the cold, with no name and never knowing love. :(

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh such great news K9a!

how is her back looking, is there an obvious deviation in her spine? could she perhaps have been just so malnourished she had muscle dystrophy and is now slowly building her strength back up?

She was very malnourished but has started to gain a little weight now and seems to be getting stronger by the day. She's also alot brighter eyed, and I think we may of been lucky with the cat flu as she seems to be almost over it.

Oh and every morning and afternoon I see that shopping trolley still sitting by the side of the road.

I think how lucky she was Mum went past when she did because if she hadn't of spotted her when she did, Cookie would be laying in it dead now. She would of died alone in the cold, with no name and never knowing love. :(

Cookie is a very lucky kitten thanks to you k9angel.

I am just watching remarkable vets and they had kitten with an abcess on its back -it lost the use of its back legs for a while but is now almost back to normal

Its hard to see clearly, but to me it looks like she has a fair bit of muscle wastage in her legs. So it may just be the severe malnutrition causing her problems. If you can, get some Hills A/D and mix it with her kitten food. It will help get some weight on her.

Also, if you can, get some Lysine powder from a health food shop and sprinkle 1/8th of a teaspoon on her wetfood twice daily. This will keep the cat flu at bay. Keep her nice and warm and she should be fine. Oh and bathe her eye with plain water, not salt water as it isn't good for sore eyes.

You are doing a great job with her! :)

oh such great news K9a!

Oh and every morning and afternoon I see that shopping trolley still sitting by the side of the road.

Oh there's hope for her yet! Really willing her to get well and sending positive vibes. She's very lucky to be in your care K9a!

When i was working in a shelter we had a cat come in with a collar injury who was extremely malnourished. The cat exhibited what we thought were neurological symptoms initially and we thought there was something really wrong with her. As it turned out it was the extreme muscle wastage causing all of the issues and they gradually resolved as she improved her condition.

Good luck with Cookie- glad she was found.

with spinal issues it often takes time esp if there's bruising, physio definitely helps. I've done that with a stud sheep before, it was left up to me as the silly thing wouldn't get up so I would get it up 3 times a day at least & walk it around, it eventually recovered & went on to produce many more lambs :) if she's happy just give it a little time. I'm hoping for the best!

How is Cookie doing today?

When does she go back to the vet?

She's doing well. She's happy and seems content. She was suppose to go back to the vet yesterday if there was no improvement, to be given her wings. :(

When I was doing some gentle leg exercises with her earlier today, she put her claws out on her back feet. She hasn't done that before so I am hoping it's a good sign. :crossfingers:

A couple of video's I have put together in the past 4 days. Sorry about the songs, they're a bit sad. :(

OK - you made me cry... the photo of Cookie's paw on Jack's hand... *blub*

She's looking like she might just surprise us all and come pretty good...

T.

I hope so T. :crossfingers:

And I love that pic too. :heart: When I saw them laying together on the floor infront of the heater last night, I had to get the camera. It was just so sweet. She's so loving and just loves being around people. She's quiet a talker to. If you say something to her she always answers back. :)

k9angel, I will pray and pray and pray for her (not very good at it but I'll try).

She is too beautiful for words.

Baby steps but do get well little one.

k9angel :thanks: May your kindness be repaid 100000xtimes. (Note to those in charge: lotto win is a good reward!)

Edit: Please let me know if you need $ for xrays/treatment/etc.

Edited by Kajtek

OMG I have major eye leaks now, so sad I hope she is going to be alright. If you could get an xray how much would it be ?

I am not sure melcatlady but I am pretty sure the vet will give a discount with her being a stray. I think he charged about $200 when I had Tess's xrays done a few months ago but that was without a discount as she was Mums dog.

I am going to try and get her in early next week to be done. I need to know for sure if she has a broken back or whether it is something that can be fixed and I especially need to know before I make the decision to set her free. I wouldn't live with myself otherwise. :( At least if I know for sure she does have a broken back, I will know I tried my best.

She's in the loungeroom at the moment perched up in her basket.

I don't have any cat toys so made her one today. You would of seen it in the video. A bit of string with a tissue tied to the end of it. She thinks it's great. I will get her some proper toys when I go to the shops next.

She is such a gorgeous little girl, I just hope she gets better and gets to live a long, happy life. :heart: