Cookie - Dumped Kitten

Some people are just so heartless. :mad

Mum dropped in about an hour and a half ago and told me about a little kitten laying in a shopping trolley, barely moving. I rushed to where she said he was and OMG, the poor little thing was drenched and gasping for breath. :cry:

I bought him home as he was freezing cold (and I mean freezing) and warmed him up and dried him. When I first picked him up I didn't know if he was drenched with blood or water. I couldn't see properly because it was pretty dark. I just scopped him up, put him in the car and drove home. (he was only around the cnr from me).

I doubt very much he is going to make it. He is trying so hard and has even managed a little meow and lifted his head to look at me.

But he's in a bad way. He was drenched when I found him, and has a little mark near his neck where a dog may of attacked him?, :cry: but he was deliberately left in that shopping trolley by someone and left to die a slow death in the cold. :mad

The way his little eye's look at me. :cry: I have syringe fed him some milk and also a little water with sugar as he's pretty dehrydrated. (and I cannot find the hydralite in the chest freezer, it's probably right at the bottom, I'll attempt to find it again in a min). I have him wrapped up in a towel near the heater (not too close).

At least he is not going to die alone and cold. :cry:

But seriously, how could anyone do that?

I am so sick of picking up the peices of these heartless dropkicks, but I am glad Mum told me when she did - because no animal deserves to die like that. :(

Edited by k9angel

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are just so heartless. :mad

Mum dropped in about an hour and a half ago and told me about a little kitten laying in a shopping trolley, barely moving. I rushed to where she said he was and OMG, the poor little thing was drenched and gasping for breath. :cry:

I bought him home as he was freezing cold (and I mean freezing) and warmed him up and dried him. When I first picked him up I didn't know if he was drenched with blood or water. I couldn't see properly because it was pretty dark. I just scopped him up, put him in the car and drove home. (he was only around the cnr from me).

I doubt very much he is going to make it. He is trying so hard and has even managed a little meow and lifted his head to look at me.

But he's in a bad way. He was drenched when I found him, and has a little mark near his neck where a dog may of attacked him?, :cry: but he was deliberately left in that shopping trolley by someone and left to die a slow death in the cold. :mad

The way his little eye's look at me. :cry: I have syringe fed him some milk and also a little water with sugar as he's pretty dehrydrated. (and I cannot find the hydralite in the chest freezer, it's probably right at the bottom, I'll attempt to find it again in a min). I have him wrapped up in a towel near the heater (not too close).

At least he is not going to die alone and cold. :cry:

But seriously, how could anyone do that?

I am so sick of picking up the peices of these heartless dropkicks, but I am glad Mum told me when she did - because no animal deserves to die like that. :(

Good on you Rach, sounds like he is in a pretty bad way, at least he is warm now.

He is in a bad way. :( He was on deaths door when I picked him up and bought him home and making these horrible gasping sounds. His little body was lifeless and floppy. I got the towel and dried him gently. He was drenched beyond drenched. My first impression was that someone had tried to drown him. It's freezing out there too tonight, he wouldn't of lasted much longer had Mum not seen him. :(

I have set him up in a washing basket with some bedding and a hot water bottle (wrapped) and I will keep the liquids up to him, there's not much more I can do for him.

I just get so mad that someone could do that. Seriously how do they sleep at night?

Some pics to come. :(

Eta spelling

Edited by k9angel

When he first came in, after being towel dried. I somehow think that stimulated him back to life, that and warming him up. He was icy cold. But as you can see, he was bad. :( I also think Bailey had something to do with it believe it or not. He just loves cats and was talking to him. The kitten would open his eye's listening to his every word. :heart:

7233281156_86ff748133.jpg

7233289300_10d2e5de45.jpg

7233310558_979385981e.jpg

The latest pics - taken about 20 mins ago. Looking a little brighter eyed.

7233297704_bdc7803536.jpg

7233305388_895db5a34d.jpg

I just went in and gave some more milk and he readily lapped it from the syringe. :thumbsup: He seems comfortable and is nice and warm. Oh and he even gave a little hiss at me. I am not getting my hopes up but he is looking better to what he was. (that's if he is a he, I have a proper chance to check).

Do you not have an after hours vet near you? Poor wee thing.frown.gif

:thumbsup: If he was in shock wouldnt it be better to get some electrolytes & medication into him to combat it? If he was HBC surely hed need medical attention?

Good on you for taking him, I just was a bit concerned you didnt seek medical evaluation.

He is in the best place to have a chance, better than still being wet, cold and alone

Not the first kitty to seek sanctuary with you K9, here's hoping this little one gets stronger and better soon

Do you not have an after hours vet near you? Poor wee thing.frown.gif

:thumbsup: If he was in shock wouldnt it be better to get some electrolytes & medication into him to combat it? If he was HBC surely hed need medical attention?

Good on you for taking him, I just was a bit concerned you didnt seek medical evaluation.

I am doing the best with what I have atm Redangel. I am giving him electrolytes (in the milk I just gave him I added hydralite) and keeping him warm.

There is an after hours vet around here Rozzie but the last time I called for an after hours emergency, he was half asleep and refused to attend the clinic to help me. :( And that was for one of my own dogs.

The only other one is the animal referral hospital at Homebush. And I wouldn't trust my car atm to get me there. If it was only me, fair enough - but I have 2 young kids to consider too, the last thing I want is to break down by the side of the ride with a sick kitten and 2 kids, in the freezing cold. :(

And to be honest I didn't expect the kitten to last half an hour letalone the trip to Homebush, when I first bought him home.

Keeping everything crossed now he makes it through the night. :crossfingers:

Poor form on behalf of the vet you called who refused to attend...was that your regular vet???? Having worked for several years as a vet nurse I know often in certain areas vets are reluctant to come out for unknown clients due to being "stood up" etc...but you are more likely in better hands should you have a regular vet.

Glad kitty is improving, as a person who doesnt drive with 2 kids I understand your predicament. Im blessed to have several friends who have in the past come to rescue me at odd hours due to veterinary needs. Hopefully you will have the opportunity in the morning (all going well :crossfingers:) to see your regular vet. Kitty at least has shelter, fluid & warmth until then.

No he wasn't my regular vet Redangel but he knew me, I had been there before.

I just changed his hot water bottle again and gave him some more milk, he is drinking well. He hissed at me at first but is coming to realise I am not here to hurt him. He loves pats around his ears and falls asleep when I am giving them to him.

I think the damage might be in his back. When I was changing his hot water bottle I noticed he tried to get up and run and although the front legs were working ok, the back weren't. Much like my sibe girl Gypsy was when she crushed a disc in her spine and she was paralyzed from the waist down. The only difference is Gyps had no movement at all in her legs and tail and no reflexes whereas this little guy does??? (Gyps did get better & was able to walk again after months of rehab). I am not saying it's the same as Gyps had, but I do feel it's his back.

Fingers crossed he gets through tonight ok so I can get him to the vet in the morning. :crossfingers:

Edited by k9angel

Sounds like he might be a feral/dumped kitty thats found himself hit by a car whilst scavenging carpark for food perhaps.Are his rear claws showing evidence of shredding? If he some feeling there is hope, the vet can administer treatment to help alleciate swelling and reassess the condition. Poor mite. Sounds like life has dealt him a bad hand.

He made it through the night ok. I got up every 2 hours to change his hot water bottle and feed him. He's quiet thin. He did a poo and it was mostly grass in it. :(

He would of been a feral, there's alot around here, esp where he was found, but he's pretty much tame now and was even purring when I changed his bottle and fed him last. He's such a loving little boy, despite what he's been through. :(

Dogmad, I will clear my inbox, it's probably full and I will give you a call, I just have to find your no. first. :o

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I have been in ctc with the vet, and I am taking him in as soon as he (the vet) is out of surgery. I am hoping there is hope for this little guy. He's drinking fine but wouldn't eat the salmon I offered, despite seeming interested in it. Mum is dropping in some proper kitten food and some more kitten milk, so fingers X'd he eats some of that. I have also given him a little dab of nutrigel.

He's very talkative and has been chatting away to Bailey and vice versa. Then Bailey got his nintendo DS cat game out and showed the kitten. It was so sweet. :heart:

I'll update as soon as we're back from the vet. :crossfingers: