Cookie - Dumped Kitten

Guest Clover

Sorry to read the turn of events. What pain poor Cookie must have endured all this time. At least Cookie is no longer suffering & is at peace now. I would be as highly critical of the vet care offered in this case. No pain relief which should have been mandatory, no x rays and poor followup. This kitten should have been hospitalized from day one and given a full examination. Shameful. I would be seriously doubting this vet practice. This shouldnt have gone undiagnosed as long as it did. Unless kitty was taken AMA I feel like the treating vet didnt do Cookie any favors.

Poor Cookie such an innocent who didnt deserve what this world gave you.

Condolences to yourself & Jack for your sadness.

Redangel i completely agree, the care well lack of care given to the poor kitten is appalling :(.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K9Angel that is one of the most beautifully poignant, sad posts I have ever read. It reduced me to tears. Your lovely son Jack sounds like such a compassionate, kindred soul who was clearly besotted with little Miss Cookie and both his and your love and devotion for her is what life is all about-pursing kindness and goodness and decency. If it weren't for people like you I would lose all hope for the human race. That story for the paper should include you last post. It's one of the most moving pieces I have ever read. It was truth from the heart. Well done for honouring Cookie's memory by going to the police, the RSPCA and the media and trying to ensure it never happens again.

Sorry to read the turn of events. What pain poor Cookie must have endured all this time. At least Cookie is no longer suffering & is at peace now. I would be as highly critical of the vet care offered in this case. No pain relief which should have been mandatory, no x rays and poor followup. This kitten should have been hospitalized from day one and given a full examination. Shameful. I would be seriously doubting this vet practice. This shouldnt have gone undiagnosed as long as it did. Unless kitty was taken AMA I feel like the treating vet didnt do Cookie any favors.

Poor Cookie such an innocent who didnt deserve what this world gave you.

Condolences to yourself & Jack for your sadness.

I completely agree.

Edited by Kirislin

Ummm... depending on the level of damage Cookie had to her spine, she may not have been in a lot of pain at all. I'm sure that if Cookie appeared to be in pain at any point, k9angel would have been beating down the doors of the vet for a fuller diagnosis right from the start...

You and the boys did everything you could for Cookie - and you gave her probably the only love she had ever known in her short life. At least she passed knowing that love.

T.

She did go to the vet but they didn't want to xray her then !!! they wanted to wait maybe you should read the whole story !

I did read the whole story, very closely. Like I said it is not K9Angels fault that the kitten was shot but Cookie should have had veterinary care since day one. Cookie would have been in a lot of pain and that is what makes me feel sick. If an animal can not use their back legs there is something going on and they should not have been sent away from medical care undiagnosed and certainly with no pain management. :(

K9angel you and your family have done an amazing job with Cookie, I am sure she will remember you all at the Bridge. :rainbowbridge:

The Newspaper story may just be enough for someone to have a light bulb moment and think "I know someone with an air rifle" even if they are never found they will be jumping at shadows thinking someone may Dob them in.

I admire you and your family for what you do for ALL animals not just Cookie. You are a wonderful person and you did your best for this great little kitten. By going to the Media and the Police you may save other animals from being treated so cruely.

Could you please let us know where she was found, so that people living in that area can keep a special watch on their own animals.

Rhonda

She did go to the vet but they didn't want to xray her then !!! they wanted to wait maybe you should read the whole story !

I did read the whole story, very closely. Like I said it is not K9Angels fault that the kitten was shot but Cookie should have had veterinary care since day one. Cookie would have been in a lot of pain and that is what makes me feel sick. If an animal can not use their back legs there is something going on and they should not have been sent away from medical care undiagnosed and certainly with no pain management. :(

If you had read the whole story then you'd know it sounded like malnutrition as there seemed to be improvement and the kitten didn't seem to be in pain. Obviously the vet is the one at fault here for not being more interested.

K9 Angel has done a lot of great work and would be feeling bad enough without all these thoughtless posts laying the boot in.

Ummm... depending on the level of damage Cookie had to her spine, she may not have been in a lot of pain at all. I'm sure that if Cookie appeared to be in pain at any point, k9angel would have been beating down the doors of the vet for a fuller diagnosis right from the start...

You and the boys did everything you could for Cookie - and you gave her probably the only love she had ever known in her short life. At least she passed knowing that love.

T.

Thankyou T and to everyone else who has offered kind words since Cookie's passing. :thanks:

Upon the first vet visit, the day after she was found - the vet went over her from head to toe. She showed no signs of pain sensation. At all. If she had of, I would NOT of bought her home with me.

The ONLY time Cookie showed any signs of pain or discomfort whilst in my care, was the morning before she was taken to be Xrayed when she had that urine scald. That's the only time she showed any pain and I requested even before I took her in that morning, for them to have some cream or something ready to put on her bum area and under her tail.

Until the 2nd vet found the pellet in the Xray - her main concern also was the urine scald - I did post that. That that was all she seemed to be worried about so obviously at that stage - she also felt Cookie's back was causing her no pain.

If Cookie had of showed any signs of pain or discomfort when she was with me, I would of taken her back sooner but she didn't (until the urine scald). She was happy, she was eating and going to the toilet ok - and her legs were getting stronger by the day. And it wasn't just me hoping for something that wasn't there - I have video to prove it.

The last thing in this world I expected - and I am sure the vet would of expected, was for her to be shot with a slug gun. :(

The person to blame here is the lowlife who pulled the trigger on that gun then left her for dead, wet, cold and in that shopping trolley. :( They ARE the one's who caused this to happen. I did what I thought right for Cookie and we showed her nothing but love and kindness - until the very end.

She would of died alone and cold out there, but instead - died with love and dignity purring in my arms.

I take comfort in that.

Cookie would of seen more love in the one week she was here, than some cats experience in a lifetime. :heart:

I just have to say that a broken spine does not always mean pain.

I have to agree. A long time ago I accidently ran over my old cat. He was rushed to the vet, he couldn't walk either. The vet confirmed that he was paralysed but in no pain at all. Sadly he had to be laid to rest that day, but spinal injuries don't equal pain. In the photo's and video's I've seen Cookie did not appear to be suffering.

It was clear from the videos Cookie wasn't in pain and I think it's appalling that people are laying the boot in with K9 Angel has been so damn compassionate and given the kitten everything she could. She followed her vet's advice to the letter and she is an experienced rescuer - there is no way she would have allowed to kitten to go on while in pain. Cut it out, it's unhelpful and not welcome here. :mad

I'm so sorry K9Angel, I'm in tears at work here reading this. Thank you for all you did, I'm sure if Cookie could speak she would have thanked you a thousand times over for all you did for her.

I have been following this case also (reading this thread at work wasn't a good idea cos crying at work is embarrassing!).

Anyone who has had a cat that has had serious trauma will know, you just can't tell how bad it is.

My cat had a shattered hip joint for 2 months before the vet finally did an x-ray. I don't blame my vet for this (well not totally). Other than being a bit touchy around the rear end and limping you would never have known his hip was shattered. Its a cat's way to hide their pain. I would suspect this may have been the way with Cookie. K9angel and the vets did the best they could but animals aren't human and can't tell you exactly what's wrong.

Rachel you can rest easy knowing you did everything for Cookie and where there for her to the end. We all are very greatful for what you guys did remember that and ignore the hurtful people in this world because belive me as we know there are alot.

Hugs to you.

Melissa

xxx

My mother once said, if you haven't got something nice to say, then dont say anything at all.

K9 did a sterling job, and thank God the kitten was found and taken in by her, and her family.It is a heartbreaking saga, and to be even remotely critical of K9 is mean and totally unnecessary.What does it achieve, only to hurt k9, and make her doubt herself.

I followed the story and was praying, like most others for a positive outcome, which sadly was not meant to be.

But Cookie was loved at the end, and knew love, maybe for the first time in her short life.

I had a cat that had partial paralysis from an attack and there was no pain, but had to go to God because the injury caused loss of bladder control.

If Cookie had been in pain she would not have responded to K9 and her family as she did, which is obvious in the video.

K9 and her boys must be heartbroken, and it is at this time that fellow dolers should be offering support and sympathy, not taking cheap shots,albeit veiled by supposed concern for Cookie and his welfare.K9's dedication to Cookie over those 9 days was amazing and it just confirms all the nice things I have heard about k9 from others.

R.I.P. Cookie, and thankyou K9, may God bless you and your family for your love and dedication to the 4 legged in this world.

Edited by honeybun

I'm so sorry the outcome wasnt better for Cookie.

To the pathetic cowards who shot this kitten, I have no words really. I just feel sad that they don't get the warm fuzzies from seeing a kitten playing with a toy, or tear up when watching a video of that kitten trying to stand.

They really must be terribly cold people.

K9, you are an angel.

Thank you to you and your family for giving Cookie a second chance.

She had a truckload of love and care in her short time with you. :hug:

Just for the record...

I love what k9angel has done.

I am old but when I grow up I want to be as compassionate, as humane, as generous as she has been.

Top marks in my books k9angel.