Cookie - Dumped Kitten

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's so beautiful.. I loved seeing her do happy feet.. that means she's happy and content.. it just about breaks my heart that this precious little one was left to die alone. She got lucky an angel came to her aide. Thank you so much Rachel, I'm sending lots of positive energy Cookie's way.

Now you guys have me in tears.

Your kind words, your well wishes and your generosity means the world to me. Thankyou so much. All of you. :thanks::heart:

I will be calling the vet tommorow as I want to ask if there is a chance it could be a fractured pelvis. I hope with all my heart that that is what it is. :crossfingers:

It takes a while for them to recover (from a fract. pelvis) but at least we'll know she'll be able to walk again some day.

I will also ask about getting the X-rays done, as either way, that is the only way we are going to find out for sure.

Thankyou again. :heart:

For the mere fact that she has movement in both her back legs would indicate to me that her spine is ok would it not, I would have thought if her back was affected that she would have no movement...

I am not a cat person but it even bought tears to my eyes, she will make it as she has you and your son and everyone on DOL looking out for her, I am a great believer in what is meant to be will be, she is destined for a long and happy life :heart:

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

I was just feeding Cookie and changing her hot water bottle and I had her on her blankie infront of the heater.

Anyways I picked her up and put her in the standing position holding my hand gently under her tummy to help support her weight. I got her on her all fours and moved my hand away a little to see if she'd stay and she did - for the first time ever! :thumbsup: OMG it was beautiful to see her on her all 4's. It made me all teary eyed. :cry:

And the look on her little face. It must of been heaven to stand like that after laying and sitting for so long.

Then with my hand back under her tummy (supporting her weight) I tried to encourage her to walk forward. Her back legs went to move as though they were taking a step, but they just werent strong enough to do it.

I am going to do the same tommorow but instead of using my hand to support her I will use a sock. I won't over do it, just a little at a time to build her strength up.

I had to do the same with my old girl Gyps when she had a back injury and I had to teach her to walk again.

Usually when I hold Cookie up like that, her back legs just give way and go floppy, this is the 1st time I have seen her actually standing up and staying up, even if it was for only a few seconds. It's a start. :crossfingers:

Is it possible that she may have been picked up and shaken by a dog? She may have a bruised spine rather than broken - or some nerve damage that just needs time to settle... that plus the obvious malnutrition that has caused wasted muscles...

The movement in her back legs is a definitely promising sign - crossing fingers she gets a prognosis that means she can live a long and happy life.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but have you thought about keeping her if she gets the all clear from the vet about anything broken?

T.

I was just feeding Cookie and changing her hot water bottle and I had her on her blankie infront of the heater.

Anyways I picked her up and put her in the standing position holding my hand gently under her tummy to help support her weight. I got her on her all fours and moved my hand away a little to see if she'd stay and she did - for the first time ever! :thumbsup: OMG it was beautiful to see her on her all 4's. It made me all teary eyed. :cry:

And the look on her little face. It must of been heaven to stand like that after laying and sitting for so long.

Then with my hand back under her tummy (supporting her weight) I tried to encourage her to walk forward. Her back legs went to move as though they were taking a step, but they just werent strong enough to do it.

I am going to do the same tommorow but instead of using my hand to support her I will use a sock. I won't over do it, just a little at a time to build her strength up.

I had to do the same with my old girl Gyps when she had a back injury and I had to teach her to walk again.

Usually when I hold Cookie up like that, her back legs just give way and go floppy, this is the 1st time I have seen her actually standing up and staying up, even if it was for only a few seconds. It's a start. :crossfingers:

Wow, what a fantastic update. I don't think she'd be able to do that if her back was broken. I think if you can get her through the next week, you will see more amazing things happen. Thank you for not giving up, I know a lot of people would have thought PTS was the kindest option when you found her, but thanks to you she has a chance. I just want to hug you Rach.. I'm a real cat lover, having three of my own. I know cats sometimes get a bad rap on this site, but the kindness you've shown her warms my heart. When she meows at you, she's saying the same in her own way, thank you.. even if she doesn't make it you can stand proud.

Is it possible that she may have been picked up and shaken by a dog? She may have a bruised spine rather than broken - or some nerve damage that just needs time to settle... that plus the obvious malnutrition that has caused wasted muscles...

The movement in her back legs is a definitely promising sign - crossing fingers she gets a prognosis that means she can live a long and happy life.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but have you thought about keeping her if she gets the all clear from the vet about anything broken?

T.

That was one of my first thoughts T, that she'd been mauled by a dog, just because of the way she was dripping wet (and I mean drenched) and the little gash on her neck - when she was found.

Either that, or I thought someone must of tried to drown her. :( It wasn't raining or anything and there was no other way she could of got so wet.

As for keeping her, I would absolutely love to, and so would the kids but I have all the sibes here and I would always be worried that they'll attack her or worse, they're not cat friendly. For me to keep her would mean she would have to be an outdoor cat and there is no way I'd do that to her. She deserves better and deserves to live inside with her family.

At the moment when she is not in the loungeroom she is in the spare room with the door locked to keep her safe. When it's time for her to come out, I just put the dogs out the back or in their crates (bar Jasmine, she's harmless) and bring her out.

If she does get better and I am hopeful she does, I will have her vetted and find her her forever after home. :heart:

. So it may just be the severe malnutrition causing her problems. If you can, get some Hills A/D and mix it with her kitten food.

I second this, brilliant stuff!!

Thanks guys. I will pop over to the vet in the morning and pick up a bag. I am sure she'll love it too. She loves her grub. :)

Please count me in for some $$ if she needs any more Vet visits. You are doing a wonderful job.

Rhonda

Me, too. Let us know.

Great progress signs....including the healthy appetite! :)

. So it may just be the severe malnutrition causing her problems. If you can, get some Hills A/D and mix it with her kitten food.

I second this, brilliant stuff!!

Thanks guys. I will pop over to the vet in the morning and pick up a bag. I am sure she'll love it too. She loves her grub. :)

It's tinned food, for critical care patients. I use it for my chooks when they're sick, very rich in nutrients. It's not too exy either, considering.

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html

Did the Vet mention FIP at all? I believe that the dry version can cause neurological symptoms.

Such a wonderful thing you've done so far :)

If Cookie had FIP, wouldn't she continue to go down hill rather than showing signs of recovery of her movement, Stormie? From what I've read it's a pretty quick decline...

Crossing fingers she's just been shaken and bruised by some other animal, and that now she's in loving hands with access to lots of good food, she will come good to live a long and comfortable life as someone's treasured lap cat.

T.