Cookie - Dumped Kitten

Did the Vet mention FIP at all? I believe that the dry version can cause neurological symptoms.

Such a wonderful thing you've done so far :)

If Cookie had FIP, wouldn't she continue to go down hill rather than showing signs of recovery of her movement, Stormie? From what I've read it's a pretty quick decline...

Crossing fingers she's just been shaken and bruised by some other animal, and that now she's in loving hands with access to lots of good food, she will come good to live a long and comfortable life as someone's treasured lap cat.

T.

Yeah, but just thought it's possible that the neurological symptoms were worsened by weakness. The dry version isn't as rapid as the wet version so isn't always a fast decline. But yeah, if she's improving and eating better then the chances of FIP reduce.

Also if she's been malnourished she might have Rickets which can result in collapsed vertebrae/vertebral fractures - an xray would determine this too.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clarifying Stormie... I'm not terribly au fait with cats and their diseases, so I'd done a quick Google search on FIP before I made my reply. It does seem that the general concensus on FIP is that it's a constant decline, rather than ups and downs though...

T.

Guest donatella

Little Cookie the cat has a fan club on a purebred dog forum, that's some impressive marketing right there :laugh:

Commeon cookie

Hows beautiful Cookie today?

She's going well Huntrox. Eating well and in good spirits.

I have spoken to the vet today and I'll be taking her early next week to be Xrayed. The standard charge was $122 but he is going to do it for $70 because she's a stray.

I am really nervous about it (aleady have butterflies :( )and will be spoiling her even more these next few days, just incase...

Hows beautiful Cookie today?

She's going well Huntrox. Eating well and in good spirits.

I have spoken to the vet today and I'll be taking her early next week to be Xrayed.

I am really nervous about it (aleady have butterflies :( )and will be spoiling her even more these next few days, just incase...

I got her some little mouse toys from the supermarket tonight. She hasn't seen them yet as I've not long got back but I think she will like them. I done some gentle exercises with her legs too today. It could be my imagination or wishful thinking but I am sure they're getting stronger. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high. :(

Aww thanks again everyone. I appreciate it so much and I am sure Cookie would too. :thanks:

I will speak with the vet tommorow and ask for his account details.

She is playing with her little mouse at the moment. She loves it. I put it on a stick with some string and she thinks it's great. I also wormed her tonight. I am about to fix her hot water bottle and tuck her in for the night. I won't be far behind her I think. I am buggered. Oh and we did some more standing practise tonight. I just support her tummy while she stands there. Might help to strengthen her legs a little too. :crossfingers: I also walk her forward a little (whilst supported) to try and get her back legs to get used of taking steps again. She tries to lift them. I will try and get some video tommorow so you can see her.

I also noticed today her back legs were moving alot more. Like when I would go to get her out of the basket or put her food down, they'd be kicking away, whereas before they were just limp most of the time. :)

Come on Cookie I have some suprises for you and your Mum wanting to order them so please keep getting better please.

xxx

Aww thankyou Melcatlady, that's so sweet. :thanks: She's doing well today, her legs are still kicking well and we done some standing excercises. I took some video earlier and will upload it later. She's also had a game with the kids, with the mouse on a string. They take turns and at times fight of playing with her. :laugh:

She was full of worms too the poor girl. :( She must be feeling so much better now they're gone.

Oh and when I went in ther room to check on her a couple of hours ago, it kind of startled her and I thought she was going to stand up. She went from her side to her belly with her back legs sitting under her back properly, again another first. I haven't seen her do that before. (like the position a cat sits in when they're eating). Usually when she goes to get up, her back legs just flop to the side or as of yesterday, start kicking - but she managed to lift them up under her this time. :thumbsup:

I missed the vet though this morning. When I rang he was putting a drip in a dog so I was unable to speak to him then the 2nd time when I rang, the phone was diverted. So he's either had to do an emergency op or has finished up early for the day. I'll get up early in the morning and go over as I have to get that cat food for her too.

Spoke too soon. He just rang me. I told him about her going to get up this morning and he said it definately sounds like she is improving. :thumbsup:

I think I am in denial half the time because I am the one that's going to have to take her to be given her wings if worse comes to worse. :( I am just expecting and preparing for the worst, though I admitt as each day passes I am getting more and more hopeful for her. :crossfingers:

She is playing with her little mouse at the moment. She loves it. I put it on a stick with some string and she thinks it's great. I also wormed her tonight. I am about to fix her hot water bottle and tuck her in for the night. I won't be far behind her I think. I am buggered. Oh and we did some more standing practise tonight. I just support her tummy while she stands there. Might help to strengthen her legs a little too. :crossfingers: I also walk her forward a little (whilst supported) to try and get her back legs to get used of taking steps again. She tries to lift them. I will try and get some video tommorow so you can see her.

I also noticed today her back legs were moving alot more. Like when I would go to get her out of the basket or put her food down, they'd be kicking away, whereas before they were just limp most of the time. :)

I love how you're giving her Kitten Physio. :)

And the hot water bottle. Your vet sounds like he's determined to give Cookie her best chance.

Hows little cookie today? I've got my kitty sunbaking on the lounge right now. LOL

She's being spoiled and going well Lilmisssascha83. :)

I got her some Hills a/d tin food this morning from the vet and she seems to enjoy it. :) Thanks to those who recommended it.

Weve been doing her little exercises today and she seems to be getting stronger in the rear end. At one stage this afternoon I thought she was going to get into her bed by herself, she came so close, yet so far to standing up.

It's been one week today since she was found, to think this time a week ago she was probably running around like normal, unaware her life was about to change forever. I am hoping it's going to change for the better in the long run and that she gets over this hurdle. :crossfingers:

It's so true when they say that cats have 9 lives, isn't it? she was so close to death last week - yet here she is this week eating and playing and in good spirits. It's incredible.

A little video I made last night/this morning.