Cookie - Dumped Kitten

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's looks amazing Rach.. its really noticable how much chubbier she's looking, but the biggest change is that she's trying to move.. what an amazing transformation in a short space of time. I really wish I had room for one more. Keep up the wonderful work. :thumbsup:

Only just seen this thread, I generally try to avoid rescue cause it's all just too sad. Good job rescuing this poor little kitten but geeze I wish the vet had xrayed her at the start because if it's bad news it's going to be so much harder for you to let her go.

Has she been on pain meds at all during the time you've had her. Having had a broken back myself I can say with confidence, it's absolute agony.

I noticed in the video she would try to move her back legs forward when you were pushing her forward which is great! Just wondered have you thought about making her a little sling of some kind for her to be upright & maybe so she can use her back legs more? Just a thought anyway, may or may not work/be a good idea.

Hope she continues to improve!

I noticed in the video she would try to move her back legs forward when you were pushing her forward which is great! Just wondered have you thought about making her a little sling of some kind for her to be upright & maybe so she can use her back legs more? Just a thought anyway, may or may not work/be a good idea.

Hope she continues to improve!

She is trying so hard. A couple of times this morning she pushed herself onto her belly and almost lifted herself with her back legs. She did it last night too when she was trying to get back in her basket. Litte Jack was so excited and says "She's standing, she's standing", she had her front paws holding onto the basket and was kind of squating on her back legs.

I sometimes use a sock as a sling when were doing her excerises but I find using my hand is better. I can support her more when she gets a bit wobbly. I've been doing a new exercise with her too. I lay her on her back and with my hand put gentle pressure against her back feet. I notice they are starting to get stronger and push harder against my hand. I only started doing these yesterday morning but have noticed a difference already. :)

Poor little thing, :( I wonder why the vet keeps putting you off, it's kinda strange. :confused: I hope she isn't suffering.

She doesn't appear to be suffering Kirislin, if she was, I'd have taken her back sooner and given her her wings.

Infact she seems quiet content. I am no expert on cats but if you look at the video's I posted, you'll see she seems pretty happy.

The vet doesn't have her on any pain meds and I honestly don't think he's putting anything off.

I am sure if I insisted he would of got her in today, or even yesterday - but I didn't.

And if I hadn't of seen any improvement these past few days, I would of insisted he got her in sooner.

Oh and just now when I went in the room to check on her, she was sitting up on her bum with her back legs kicking trying to get up. Each day she reaches another little milestone. :)

Great work K9Angel. I have nursed several dachshunds with rear-end paralysis from damaged spines back to mobility, and your description of Cookie's progress mirrors what I experienced with them. They get gross motor function back first,but any sort of strength or coordination takes longer. I have assisted 'learning to walk again' using a pelvic sling so that I could hold up the dog's rear end while the hind legs learned how to move properly again, without having to cope with weight-bearing as well. Not sure if that would help Cookie but it might be relevant.

ETA - the dogs had no discomfort while their mobility recovered. In fact lack of sensation is the problem.

Edited by KKDD

Great work K9Angel. I have nursed several dachshunds with rear-end paralysis from damaged spines back to mobility, and your description of Cookie's progress mirrors what I experienced with them. They get gross motor function back first,but any sort of strength or coordination takes longer. I have assisted 'learning to walk again' using a pelvic sling so that I could hold up the dog's rear end while the hind legs learned how to move properly again, without having to cope with weight-bearing as well. Not sure if that would help Cookie but it might be relevant.

ETA - the dogs had no discomfort while their mobility recovered. In fact lack of sensation is the problem.

Thanks for sharing your experiences KKDD. It makes me feel a little more positive. I am feeling quiet nervous tonight.

I am just scared for Cookie tommorow. :( She's in good spirits though. I just took a few pics of her and will upload them shortly.

Thanks for the Vets bank account number-----I have transferred my donation straight into his account. I have pm you.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Rhonda.

Many thanks Rhonda. Both for your donation and your well wishes for Cookie tommorow. :thanks:.

I am keeping everything crossed for a good outcome. :crossfingers: