Shar Pei - Tracking Down Previous Breeder

selkii

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to these forums, so forgive me if I'm creating a thread that has been addressed already.

Basically I'm trying to track down my Shar Pei's breeder - my husband and I adopted him from my stepmother and I'd like to know some info about his parents - also gives me the option to register him as a pure bred if I need to.

The kennel was called Dahlet, in Wauchope NSW, and I believe the breeder was named Joan Wilkinson. If anyone can give me any contact details for her it would be greatly appreciated - the information that was given when my stepmum bought our boy, Merlin (Dahlet Dark Knight), is quite old now as Merlin is nearly 10 and I can't contact her with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi selkii - when you got him from your stepmother did you get any paperwork? If his registered name is Dahlet Dark Knight it sounds as though he's registered already. The other thing might be to ask in the Shar Pei thread - http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/105829-shar-pei-thread/page__st__15210

It may be useful to get in contact with Dogs NSW and explain your situation to them, and see whether they are able to point you in the right direction. Privacy concerns may mean they can't actually give you contact details, but they may be able to contact her on your behalf, and give your details to her.

Oh awesome, thanks heaps for that!! I'll see how I go and if I can find anything there. We didn't get any relevant paperwork aside from vaccination certificate with his kennel name on it and an info sheet from Dahlet kennels with their contact info from 9 years ago. I'll check out the sources you've mentioned though - Thank you!

Sometimes it's just nice to know and make contact. I had no real reason to join Dogs Vic and transfer my dog's registration to my name, as she's "just a pet", but did anyway cause she's on the main register and.. :shrug: why not?

I am pretty sure as tdierkx says they have retired but they were a very well known kennel and some of the other breeders who advertise here had (and may still have I guess depending on when they stopped breeding) their dogs in their breeding programmes so may have some information. There are also a number of Dahlet dogs listed in the Shar Pei Breed Archive here - you might be able to check on his littermates using his date of birth and get some information that way. Pop into the Shar Pei thread anyway and treat us to some pictures. :)

Sharpei Archive

Edited by coogie

You have his registered kennel name so the ANKC should be able to provide you with information relating to his lineage.

Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all your help, I will definately check out the archives and see what I can find. I'm not sure that the details are mandatory for registering him as pure bred but I would really like to see his parents and any littermates too - Merlin was the runt of his litter and it'd be interesting to see how his brothers and sisters turned out.

Here's a pic of our boy lounging around after a foot op to remove a tumour- he's 10 in September and loving the relaxed Tasmanian lifestyle suited to an old chap!!

post-45344-0-79764400-1337640333_thumb.jpg

Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all your help, I will definately check out the archives and see what I can find. I'm not sure that the details are mandatory for registering him as pure bred but I would really like to see his parents and any littermates too - Merlin was the runt of his litter and it'd be interesting to see how his brothers and sisters turned out.

Here's a pic of our boy lounging around after a foot op to remove a tumour- he's 10 in September and loving the relaxed Tasmanian lifestyle suited to an old chap!!

What do you mean register him as pure bred? You don't need papers to register him as pure bred with the council, you just write his breed on the form, they couldn't care less what you write!

Tasmanian (Hobart at least) Council requires you to register your pure bred dog with the Tasmanian Canine association before you can register them with the council as one.

Besides the point, it's not the only reason I'm interested - if it turns out I don't need the info then it doesnt matter because I want to know anyway.

Edited by selkii

Looked a bit further into the TCA requirements - looks like its just ME that needs to be a member in order to register the dog as a pure bred with the council, which is good, but all the same I'd really like to know a bit more about Merlin's lines etc.

Even if DAHLET are no longer breeding they may like to hear of an update on how one of their dogs is going.

I know I would like to hear from one of our previous buyers from 10 years ago.

Keep up the search and see if you can find a ph number for the breeder. :thumbsup:

BB

Launceston council didn't need me to be a member of Tasmanian Canine association to register two pure breds. Seems odd to me?

Of course they didn't even have my breed on the data base so they are registed as another... go figure.

Neither did West Tamar. (Launceston area)

I know of no council that requires you be a member of states controlling body if you wish to register a pure bred dog. :)

Launceston council didn't need me to be a member of Tasmanian Canine association to register two pure breds. Seems odd to me?

Of course they didn't even have my breed on the data base so they are registed as another... go figure.

Neither did West Tamar. (Launceston area)

I know of no council that requires you be a member of states controlling body if you wish to register a pure bred dog. :)

There might be some confusion.....my local council gives discounts to owners of entire dogs IF they are a member of Dogs Victoria.

I can understand the OP wishing to contact the breeder nonetheless.

I have contacted someone to see if they are able to track Dahlet down for you.

Thanks Ams! Much appreciated!

I tried Dogs NSW but they had no details of the breeder and the kennel name wasn't listed either (possibly they didn't list him because he was a runty boy and not good for showing - his tail is a bit wonky).