Shar Pei - Tracking Down Previous Breeder

selkii

He still would have had to be registered as all progeny of a litter has to be registered. He may have been registered in another State. See if SWAY can help. I know she has started a database of registered breeders but not sure if it is retrospective. It shouldn't be too hard to track her down through some breeders as her lines are the base of a lot of current shar pei.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have contacted someone to see if they are able to track Dahlet down for you.

Thanks Ams! Much appreciated!

I tried Dogs NSW but they had no details of the breeder and the kennel name wasn't listed either (possibly they didn't list him because he was a runty boy and not good for showing - his tail is a bit wonky).

If the breeder is no longer breeding they may no longer be members in which case no they won't be listed on the database ,They may no loner hold there prefix either

According to the white pages there is one Wilkinson in Wauchope, did you try calling them?

I saw that but thought I'd try other avenues before calling around - might be a good bet though as from memory (I did the same white pages search) the address was in the same street (different number tho) as it was 10 years ago - when I called the original number the man there said that Joan hadn't lived there (at that address? at that phone number?) for a long time - it was a bit odd.

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this!! Here's some more pics of the old boy for you all :)

post-45344-0-61330900-1337663104_thumb.jpg

post-45344-0-45145500-1337663111_thumb.jpg

He still would have had to be registered as all progeny of a litter has to be registered. He may have been registered in another State. See if SWAY can help. I know she has started a database of registered breeders but not sure if it is retrospective. It shouldn't be too hard to track her down through some breeders as her lines are the base of a lot of current shar pei.

Ok cool, sorry if I seem a bit ignorant about a lot of this, he's the first pure bred I've ever owned and I don't know the ins and outs of these things. Unfortunately I have now developed a great love for Shar Peis and will probably only want that particular breed from here on!!

I had a look at the member, do you mean Sway as in Swayd Great Danes?

Launceston council didn't need me to be a member of Tasmanian Canine association to register two pure breds. Seems odd to me?

Of course they didn't even have my breed on the data base so they are registed as another... go figure.

Neither did West Tamar. (Launceston area)

I know of no council that requires you be a member of states controlling body if you wish to register a pure bred dog. :)

There might be some confusion.....my local council gives discounts to owners of entire dogs IF they are a member of Dogs Victoria.

I can understand the OP wishing to contact the breeder nonetheless.

Sure we all know of that, but you don't "have" to be a member of your controlling body to register a pure bred dog with a council.

After paying a joining fee should your state have one and them the yearly fee it would eat up any savings. :)

Launceston council didn't need me to be a member of Tasmanian Canine association to register two pure breds. Seems odd to me?

Of course they didn't even have my breed on the data base so they are registed as another... go figure.

Neither did West Tamar. (Launceston area)

I know of no council that requires you be a member of states controlling body if you wish to register a pure bred dog. :)

There might be some confusion.....my local council gives discounts to owners of entire dogs IF they are a member of Dogs Victoria.

I can understand the OP wishing to contact the breeder nonetheless.

Sure we all know of that, but you don't "have" to be a member of your controlling body to register a pure bred dog with a council.

After paying a joining fee should your state have one and them the yearly fee it would eat up any savings. :)

Actually, with Hobart council it IS a requirement to be part of the TCA (Tasmanian Canine Assoc.) in order to register as a pure bred. Or so it states on the registration form I filled out not long ago anyway - normal rego obviously doesn't require this or everyone with a dog would have to be part of the TCA.

Thanks so much to everyone for their help, and thank you to Sway for your help in getting a number for Joan - I'll make sure I let you know how I go with it!!

Thanks again all! :)

Edited by selkii

The registration form does say

Special Registrations

Purebreed Dogs – must be a registered member with the Tasmanian Canine Association $40 fee (Normal fee is $80)

ETA

Basically I think they are saying you get a discount because you are a member of the TCA - same happens in all States, I think the wording is a little off.

Edited by SwaY

The registration form does say

Special Registrations

Purebreed Dogs – must be a registered member with the Tasmanian Canine Association $40 fee (Normal fee is $80)

ETA

Basically I think they are saying you get a discount because you are a member of the TCA - same happens in all States, I think the wording is a little off.

Correct in every detail SwaY. :)

According to the white pages there is one Wilkinson in Wauchope, did you try calling them?

I saw that but thought I'd try other avenues before calling around - might be a good bet though as from memory (I did the same white pages search) the address was in the same street (different number tho) as it was 10 years ago - when I called the original number the man there said that Joan hadn't lived there (at that address? at that phone number?) for a long time - it was a bit odd.

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this!! Here's some more pics of the old boy for you all :)

He is beautiful. I love a black horsecoat. My girl passed away 2 years ago aged 13 so hopefully you still have many years with your beautiful boy

As someone suggested, I think that the OP is doing this so they can register the dog for cheaper with the council. In our council area, there is a difference in price between desexed and non-desexed animals. Purebred dogs that are not desexed, are charged the same rate as a normal desexed pet if they belong to a member of the State Canine Authority (ie Dogs SA) as they are involved in registered dog events and breeding. I think the thinking is that if they do not belong to a registered breeder, and are not involved in conformation, then you pay for the priveledge of an undesexed dog. I suppose it is there as a deterent to backyard breeders, and puppy farmers.

Im not sure if this is the same situation, but if it is it seems a bit wrong, that even though the dog is question is not directly involved with any 'purebreed' dog events and the dog is ten years old and they do not even have the original pedigree that they are allowed to get a discount.

This dog is a pet, and if it is not desexed, then they should have to pay the full fee. If they are searching for the original breeder for interest's sake that's fine, but if it's to potentially cut corners on a benefit that pure breed dog owners have fought long and hard for then it's wrong.

As someone suggested, I think that the OP is doing this so they can register the dog for cheaper with the council. In our council area, there is a difference in price between desexed and non-desexed animals. Purebred dogs that are not desexed, are charged the same rate as a normal desexed pet if they belong to a member of the State Canine Authority (ie Dogs SA) as they are involved in registered dog events and breeding. I think the thinking is that if they do not belong to a registered breeder, and are not involved in conformation, then you pay for the priveledge of an undesexed dog. I suppose it is there as a deterent to backyard breeders, and puppy farmers.

Im not sure if this is the same situation, but if it is it seems a bit wrong, that even though the dog is question is not directly involved with any 'purebreed' dog events and the dog is ten years old and they do not even have the original pedigree that they are allowed to get a discount.

This dog is a pet, and if it is not desexed, then they should have to pay the full fee. If they are searching for the original breeder for interest's sake that's fine, but if it's to potentially cut corners on a benefit that pure breed dog owners have fought long and hard for then it's wrong.

I'm doing it for interests sake, and the rego was something I figured I'd investigate at the same time - if you'd read my original posting then you'd see that I've already stated that. And I've actually registered him as a normal desexed dog already, not as a pure bred even though he is one - finding the breeder is not about money, it's about knowing the history of my dog and his line. Yes, there is a cost difference between de-sexed and breeding dogs, but our boy is de-sexed and definately a pet and part of our family. I also thought the breeder might like to know how Merlin is getting along now, from what I have read he's getting quite old for a Shar Pei and I thought she might like to know.

My Grandmother bred dogs in the past and I would never assume to cut corners when I know the trouble she had in the past with this kind of thing. But thanks for your input.

And thank you to Sway for clarifying the rego form - I didn't read it properly at the time and it didn't click that it was implying a discount - I actually was under the impression that it was just $40 to register as a pure bred and that it was required that you were a member of the TCA, and didn't really understand the comment about the $80 - it makes more sense now, thank you for clearing that up for me :) I can see why people would think I'm trying to get hold of this information as a way to get a discount now, but I assure you, this is not about the money, it's about knowing who Merlin's parents and littermates were. I'm sure all of you as dog owners, breeders, and just people who love their dogs in general, can understand why I would be interested.

I think it's a lovely idea to want to touch base with Merlin's breeders and let them know how he's going and learn more about his lines and litter mates etc. Good on you :)

Thanks Heidley :)

I think it's a lovely idea to want to touch base with Merlin's breeders and let them know how he's going and learn more about his lines and litter mates etc. Good on you :)

Thanks Heidley :)

Selkii I understand your wish to find the breeder and info about the littermates. My greyhound Deanna is 13.5 years old and is doing quite well. Her sire was one of the well-known and successful racers, and sometimes I wonder how Deanna's littermates are going. I hope you are able to find the breeder and let them know how their gorgeous boy is going.

I agree. How could you get up in arms about this being about wanting to "cut corners" anyway? We're talking about $40 here!! She's just taken on an old dog, I'm sure a discounted registration is hardly going to have an effect either way.

If I acquired a purebed dog by any means, one of the first things I'd do would be to see about contacting the breeder. My girl's breeder (and most on this forum I'm sure) would be overjoyed to hear about one of their dogs doing well and having a new owner who obviously cared enough to contact them!

Who gives a rats if there's an added benefit or motivation? Bizarre..

Edited by Alkhe