Debarking

nova1950

Haven't read whole thread - we had choice of de-barking young Rheneas (my avatar dog, Pom/ShetlandSheepdog cross probably) or pts, 2nd owner through RSPCA, returned for barking, so last chance owner. Barked day and night, at nothing, joy of barking. Complaints from neighbours, Council. Training, environment, behaviourist, all that. Result no change. Went through all the legal procedures, documentation, proof etc.

Debarking created happiest dog in world. No more need to be told to be quiet 24/7. Still barks day and night years later, happy as a pig in mud, minimum sound, maximum fun. So I could never advise against it, but would only say to be very careful to take time to find best recommended vet, and get the paperwork right.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read that debarking has been thought of being an act that's quite harsh for dogs, which is why it's a last resort. From what I read, it said that it is the nature of dogs to bark which is why debarking would be removing something that is natural to them. Maybe your dog has problems? Have you gone to the vet for a check up?

They can bark, of course ..it's just quieter /different.

Like a lot of people sing.... but so out of tune , and they continue to sing, as they don't realise :)

Oh, I see. Good analogy. :)