Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

Halfway down page 2 .....better do something about that :laugh:

Have just finished two brilliant days of Workshop with Jill and Amanda Houston .. in Adelaide. :eek: Poor little Miss Kirra snoozed in the car while Rory and I had huge fun learning new moves and polishing existing ones, and sharing the experience with xena98 and lots of other lovely SA Dwders.

Now somehow to find time to put what I've learned from 3 fantastic teachers and motivators .. Nancy, Jill and Amanda .. into practice.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: Ummmm ..in case you haven't noticed, it's quite a long drive across the paddock ..not to mention getting back again . :laugh: Was bad enough doing Bass Strait, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide .. and back to Melbourne to get tomorrow night's ferry :D

Not that I don't want to ... now if only you could move Perth a bit closer ...... :D

Halfway down page 2 .....better do something about that :laugh:

Have just finished two brilliant days of Workshop with Jill and Amanda Houston .. in Adelaide. :eek: Poor little Miss Kirra snoozed in the car while Rory and I had huge fun learning new moves and polishing existing ones, and sharing the experience with xena98 and lots of other lovely SA Dwders.

Now somehow to find time to put what I've learned from 3 fantastic teachers and motivators .. Nancy, Jill and Amanda .. into practice.

Totally agree with you Tassie. It was an absolute ball. Learnt heaps of things and cant believe the things I have taught Gabby and she actually remembering things that I have no idea what the heck I was doing lol

:laugh: I know ... Rory was starting to get paw/foot even by the end of the first day. You and Gabby had such fun ... so you'll be working up your routines for the next comp?!

I loved the "time poor training" idea too ... I guess we know it, but Amanda made it seem totally do-able :)

lol Got to mmmm work on a routine that is the hard bit. I have been training Gabby with the backward weave. That is proving to be mmm interesting we do the left side and than the right side and than we spin in the opposite direction and end up in front of me lol. owell just another thing to work on lol. Also just taught her to put her head on the ground and teaching saying your prayers. So that is my work for the next couple of weeks lol.

Had my plank smarty pants worked out if I said front she stood and when I said come she sat. Picked that one up very quickly lol

Seems like you've joined the awesome pup challenge on FB xena98, which I have recently done. Tilba already does say your prayers, down for more 5 secs, need to work on close cupboard door & head down which she's done a little of on my knee. As she already knows back up & tried doing onto a step but having trouble with that as in the past we'd done front feet on step & she's not real good at shaping, she doesn't seem to get the concept. Just tries real hard to do what she already knows. :confused:

It could be beneficial to learn new moves for DWD as the weeks go by.

Seems like everyone had a lovely weekend doing either a DWD comp or DWD workshop. Tassie, I wish that I knew that you was coming across the bay, I could of met up with you for a coffee before you left on your journey either here or going home..

As for me, Splash and I ventured out onto the dance floor on Saturday to do HTM starters (LOVE HEELWORK.. yeap your heard me) We gained our started title and won the ring both trials I believe. I cant tell you the score cause I had to leave before it got dark and got a dear friend to pick the pass cards up.

No video of our routine Im afraid and there was prof. photographer taking photos of everyone's routines. The song that we did was ONE STEP AT A TIME - Jordan Sparks. Must say that I had our routine worked out but some little miss went into a weave frenzy and blew that one out the window, which of course left me to improvise a little bit to get her back on track.

It was a good day and lots of passes I believe was handed out at presentations that night. I wish that I could been there to thank the judges personally and also to get some feed back from the interstate judges.

cheers

A question was asked by Gamby regarding Freestyle starters, what sort of moves could you suggest for a small dog? How many? (this might be handy for a bigger dog too)

Also what do you consider a WOW factor?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

how has everyone been going with their dance numbers? I tried to start a new routine but shock horror, my girl has forgotten every thing. So it's back to the drawing board for my girl and me..

cheers

:laugh: They sure know how to keep us guessing, don't they kallistar.

We're right in the middle of competition season in tracking, track and search, obedience - and the odd agility trial thrown in, so DWD is still/back on the back burner. But we are playing with some of the stuff we learnt with Jill and Amanda in Adelaide. Might some in handy some day ... and like everyone else, when I hear songs on the radio, I'm considering would they be useful. :D

Can't help with the small dog thing - other than to have a look on youtube - Richard Curtis's small dog might give some ideas.

Can't help with the small dog thing - other than to have a look on youtube - Richard Curtis's small dog might give some ideas.

That's right, he did a brilliant routine with his little Chihuahua at Crufts this year.

About 15.42 in. There are also a couple of other small dogs further on.

Edited by luvsdogs

People seem to get hung up thinking they have to have a "WOW" factor in their routines. The "WOW" factor can mean so many different things.

It can be a "WOW" that was an awesome new trick, movement or transition, "WOW" you both working well together, "WOW" that was a stunning performance, "WOW" Fluffy is so focused today.

Try not to get hung up on the "WOW" factor, a routine that has you and your dog working well together and enjoying each other while performing is a "WOW" factor in itself.

Enjoy your performances. :thumbsup:

I agree with BC4ME I think most routines where the dog is showing obviously enjoyment and is a willing, eager and enthusiastic participant have a "WOW" factor about them. Just my observation but I think people can tend to get a little hung up with a defined choreography rather than a dog enjoying themselves. This may be less of a problem at the higher levels of competition but I certainly have seen it in newbie routines. They become so rigid about the dog performing a routine the WOW factor disappears.

How many times have people seen an obedience dog go through a round and while it may be accurate it looks like its going through the motions. I think DWD can get a little like this at times when people remain to focused on rigid structure and not going with the flow.

• 4 weeks later...

On Sunday Splash and I competed Freestyle starters using the same song that we did our HTM routine to. I added some more chorry to it, but kept it as a circle. Splash was a bit too bouncy in the AM trial but still was ok to get her first pass. The PM trial seen a much less bouncy routine performed and we gained our title

Now thinking forward for next years trial season as we are now in novice

There was some really lovely routines performed at the trial and the standard was high so I will have to start putting in some harder stuff for Novice and a prop or two..

What has every one else been up to?

On Sunday Splash and I competed Freestyle starters using the same song that we did our HTM routine to. I added some more chorry to it, but kept it as a circle. Splash was a bit too bouncy in the AM trial but still was ok to get her first pass. The PM trial seen a much less bouncy routine performed and we gained our title

Now thinking forward for next years trial season as we are now in novice

There was some really lovely routines performed at the trial and the standard was high so I will have to start putting in some harder stuff for Novice and a prop or two..

What has every one else been up to?

Whoo Hoo congrats on your title :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What have we been doing..... Competing at the Brisbane Royal - The Ekka

It is one of the hardest but fun venues to perform in. Our arena is a huge undercover tent area where large audience gather to watch up perform usually they are eating while watching us.

The hard part is we perform on the same surface that the breed showing happens where they have been using food all day, bitches in season etc.

I have entire male dogs who are food and people motivated you could imagine how difficult it is for my dogs. I also performed 2 new routines which was a huge or crazy thing to do. :laugh:

Although only 1 of my 3 routines came off the way I wanted it to I was happy with what they did.

Our results were Chook 1st in Freestyle Intermediate (no quallie) with his new routine Super Mario and 1st Heelwork to Music (with a quallie score 159) with War of the Worlds and my young boy Styler 3rd Heelwork to Music Intermediate (no quallie) with new routine The Thunderbirds.

Here is a link to Chook's HTM Intermediate Routine. (hopefully I have done it right, I'm not very techie LOL)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer::cheer:

Congrats to both kallistar and BC4ME. Loved the work under those difficult conditions at the Ekka. I get inspired again ... but then it's a matter of time and commitments in other disciplines. And I need inspiration. :laugh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer::cheer:

Congrats to both kallistar and BC4ME. Loved the work under those difficult conditions at the Ekka. I get inspired again ... but then it's a matter of time and commitments in other disciplines. And I need inspiration. :laugh:

The funny thing about the video is watch what walks past in the background at the 55sec and 1min 8sec mark remember I am performing to War of the Worlds.

It was either an omen or just a plain freaky. :laugh: :laugh: