Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

What is the minimum & max time for a novice freestyle routine :confused: Are there any moves that a novice is not allowed to make & does every routine require props or is outfit enough ????? :)

PME....I love your outfit :thumbsup:

Novice or Starters?

Basically a routine should be over 1 minute and under 4, it is seen that Starters is closer to the 1 minute and Advanced is approaching the 4 minute.

In May I have Tora in Starters, her routines are about 1min 30 sec. I then have Schatzi in Intermediate and her routine is around the 3 minute mark.

Moves you aren't allowed to do - basically just anything that's not 'safe'

No, you don't have to use props, plenty of routines don't and are still awesome routines :)

Edited by Schatzi'sMum

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the minimum & max time for a novice freestyle routine :confused: Are there any moves that a novice is not allowed to make & does every routine require props or is outfit enough ????? :)

Novice or Starters?

Basically a routine should be over 1 minute and under 4, it is seen that Starters is closer to the 1 minute and Advanced is approaching the 4 minute.

In May I have Tora in Starters, her routines are about 1min 30 sec. I then have Schatzi in Intermediate and her routine is around the 3 minute mark.

No, you don't have to use props, plenty of routines don't and are still awesome routines :)

Thanks for that...I assume then that in DWD it is called "starters" & not "novice". I have on my calander that there is a comp at Grafton on the 30th November, but when I mentioned it to Mandy, she said that No it wasn't going to be in Grafton this year. Dogs NSW still have it listed as being there. Anyone have any other idea where it might be being held, if at all. :confused:

Novice or Starters?

Thanks for that...I assume then that in DWD it is called "starters" & not "novice". I have on my calander that there is a comp at Grafton on the 30th November, but when I mentioned it to Mandy, she said that No it wasn't going to be in Grafton this year. Dogs NSW still have it listed as being there. Anyone have any other idea where it might be being held, if at all. :confused:

It goes Starters, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced.

Not sure what's happening with that comp this year. It used to be held at Camp Tailwaggers, but not sure if it's still on.

Can't help with NSW comps. But can tell you... Kenzie's HTM starters was 1.13 longand her FS starters was 1.14 long. So, long enough to definitely ensure we were doing a ful minute of performance time but not so long that it pushed her too hard. As for props, they are not essential and in a minute to use a prop takes up a bit of time. In HTM you don't really want props at all (there is no real place for them), in FS my thoughts are use a prop if you want/need one. One of the rules states something along the lines of if a prop is in the ring it must be used within the routine, so you can't just have something because it looks good and then not use it. I sort of am working on the theory of not including too much in each routine because I want to make each level better and more extravagant!! So for instance Kenzie's FS routine from the weekend had in it - beg, running and doing a circle, spin, heeling, spin changing sides, leg weaves, hi-10 and standing up on her back legs. Enough to make it a decent routine with choreography, but I didn't try to cram everything in. We can build on all of this now for our Novice routines!

How do you attain titles in DWD :confused: Is it similar to agility where you need 3 novice Q's before you can go up to the next level etc. ??

Yep, exactly the same. It used to be two passes for starters then three, but now it's three for each level.

To get a Q, the rules are:

"To be awarded a Qualifying Certificate, a competitor must gain the following from at least two of the three judges:

(a) a score of at least ten (10) points in each of the three (3) judging categories; and

(b) a total score of at least forty-five (45) points."

You need to have gotten these from at least two varied judging panels.

For a championship you need:

"7 (subsequent to Advanced title) with aggregate scores of 160 points or more and including at least 3 different pieces of music"

Edited by Schatzi'sMum

How do you attain titles in DWD :confused: Is it similar to agility where you need 3 novice Q's before you can go up to the next level etc. ??

This is the link to the Dances With Dogs Rules hopefully it will work (I'm not very good at linking things) :o

DWD rules

All your answers regarding the sport are in these rules. Please ask if you need an interpretation of the rules.

We have just had a rules update as at 1st January this year. For those already competing in the sport would be good to familiarise yourself with the changes.

What software does everyone use to download music to their computer from the web & also something along the lines of audio editing software. I need something that is very simple to use, that I can save to a CD & that the download does not infect my computer with Malware. That happened to me a few days ago when I downloaded a programme to allow me to file Youtube videos :( So I am being extra cautious now with anything I download :o

The other one quite a few people use is Wavepad.

If you're running Windows 8, you may have some difficulties with both music and videos. :mad

ETA I tried to use Audacity, but couldn't work it out, in spite of ness's help :-)

Edited by Tassie

I've downloaded Audacity. Got no idea what I am doing with it....maybe I should get together with you Tassie :laugh: we would make a good pair.

:D Yes .. I never did work out how to import music into Audacity to even start editing :laugh: ... but I can do a reasonable job in Wavepad. You need a teenager :rofl:

I've downloaded Audacity. Got no idea what I am doing with it....maybe I should get together with you Tassie :laugh: we would make a good pair.

:D Yes .. I never did work out how to import music into Audacity to even start editing :laugh: ... but I can do a reasonable job in Wavepad. You need a teenager :rofl:

Maybe my, just turned 8 year old grandson, who started up 22 games of Words on my Facebook while I was away for the weekend :rofl:

I use ITunes to download my music and I use a Music Creator to cut it.

Music Creator is similar to Wave Pad. Wave Pad is simple and easy to use. Most programs need you to convert your music to an MP3 file before importing to your music editing program.

Happy to help you do a music cut Sheena if you need a hand. Just let me know, flick me a message on Facebook or something and we can sort it out :)

Doing some DWD training with my girls today, it seems that seeing as I wear a hat pretty much whenever we dance, Tora has decided hats = DWD. I put one on just to see how it worked for a costume the other day and felt something on my leg, it was her pawing at me then doing spins and backwards walking! :laugh:

Edited by Schatzi'sMum