Teeth Cleaning

The Petzlife and the Plaque Off work in different ways so they are good to use in conjunction with each other. The Petzlife works topically by softening the plaque/tartar and the Plaque Off works systemically by stopping bacteria grow in the saliva.

Thank you for the response. I would like to try the Petzlife. Gel or spray better?

And would you mind telling me where you purchase yours from? I went to the Petzlife website but they don't have shipping to Australia.

ETA: I'm sorry, FFB ..... I am hijacking your thread and didn't realise - caught up in the moment, I guess :o. Hope you don't mind too much ??

Edited by Erny

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's okay Erny.

I am totally depressed. Tonka had to have teeth removed and cost me $625 so over a thousand this year. I have to take him back for a check up and treatment plan from the vet. I just feel so annoyed as I would have done more after the first dental treatment if I had known but maybe it was too late anyway :( I just keep thinking that it can't be that hard to keep dog'd teeth healthy, can it :confused:

The Petzlife and the Plaque Off work in different ways so they are good to use in conjunction with each other. The Petzlife works topically by softening the plaque/tartar and the Plaque Off works systemically by stopping bacteria grow in the saliva.

Thank you for the response. I would like to try the Petzlife. Gel or spray better?

And would you mind telling me where you purchase yours from? I went to the Petzlife website but they don't have shipping to Australia.

ETA: I'm sorry, FFB ..... I am hijacking your thread and didn't realise - caught up in the moment, I guess :o. Hope you don't mind too much ??

Erny the Gel works best as it adheres to the teeth longer than the spray. You can purchase here:-

http://www.naturalpaws.com.au/grooming-teeth-petzlife-oral-care-product-360.html

Guest RosieFT

That's okay Erny.

I am totally depressed. Tonka had to have teeth removed and cost me $625 so over a thousand this year. I have to take him back for a check up and treatment plan from the vet. I just feel so annoyed as I would have done more after the first dental treatment if I had known but maybe it was too late anyway :( I just keep thinking that it can't be that hard to keep dog'd teeth healthy, can it :confused:

I think, like human teeth, dogs teeth vary. Since Rosie was a young puppy I noticed her canine tips wearing away and brought it to three different vets attention over the years. 2 told me it was because she was a 'ball' dog. Even though I stopped using tennis balls at a very young age and never left a ball with her in the garden to chew on. The 3rd vet was the only one to notice that she is actually missing some adult teeth and feels that she has weak enamel. She even has grooves worn into the back of her front insisors (?) as if she has been carrying a stick and it has worn her teeth away.

Eventually she may have to have teeth pulled if the enamel goes down too close to the nerves.

I don't believe it is anything i have done, or have not done - she is fed on a diet of high quality kibble and chicken wings/necks/frames.

Luck of the genes.

That's okay Erny.

Flyingfurball your vet said half that cost! Now they are cleaned why not use the Petzlife and Plaque Off to keep them that way. No more expensive vet GA's for Tonka.

That's okay Erny.

I think, like human teeth, dogs teeth vary. Since Rosie was a young puppy I noticed her canine tips wearing away and brought it to three different vets attention over the years. 2 told me it was because she was a 'ball' dog. Even though I stopped using tennis balls at a very young age and never left a ball with her in the garden to chew on. The 3rd vet was the only one to notice that she is actually missing some adult teeth and feels that she has weak enamel. She even has grooves worn into the back of her front insisors (?) as if she has been carrying a stick and it has worn her teeth away.

Eventually she may have to have teeth pulled if the enamel goes down too close to the nerves.

I don't believe it is anything i have done, or have not done - she is fed on a diet of high quality kibble and chicken wings/necks/frames.

Luck of the genes.

Certainly sounds like weak enamel - thank goodness for the 3rd vet!!

Erny the Gel works best as it adheres to the teeth longer than the spray. You can purchase here:-

http://www.naturalpaws.com.au/grooming-teeth-petzlife-oral-care-product-360.html

Thank you. Purchased :).

And FFB - don't be depressed nor beat yourself up about Tonka needing extractions. As RosieFT has said, something these things just 'are' and nothing within reason we could have done to avoid it now or later. Main point is that you're obviously looking after her and she's getting dental care - there are many people around who either don't look to see or don't bother. So, kudos to you. I hope Tonka is feeling ok.

That's okay Erny.

Flyingfurball your vet said half that cost! Now they are cleaned why not use the Petzlife and Plaque Off to keep them that way. No more expensive vet GA's for Tonka.

I certainly will do this!! I have to take him back to be checked in a week and the vet will put a program together which I believe includes these things. Thanks for your help as I was shocked I think that they were so bad. When I got him at 3 his teeth were beautiful.

I will also get a dental dry food like the prescriptive diet dental one. Apparently it is sprayed with fat :vomit: which makes it taste yummy to them.

If its Royal Canin your referring to don't freak out too much. Its actually omega 3 oil that's sprayed onto the food after extrusion. Its a good thing :thumbsup: Not sure about Euk or Hills

Im sure some other brands probably do spray with something like beef tallow.

Be aware though that omega 3 EFAs do break down when exposed to heat, light and air.....

This is the reason why omega 3 oils need to be kept refrigerated in a dark container and used quickly

(capsules are a little more stable to temps as the oil is in an airtight environment and stabilised with Vit E while in a dark container - they still need to be kept cool though)

i bought an $8 scaler from sway and that does the job, you just have to get the dog used to it. I also had them cleaned under GA not because they really needed it but because she was going to have a deciduous tooth removed anyway. Then about 5 months later i get the vet telling me i should put her on Royal Canin special tartar/plague removing food. Honestly if you can manage to brush them once a week with a childs toothbrush or finger-brush and use the scaler once a month to get rid of the harder build up it shouldnt be a problem. The less you brush the harder it tends to be to get the plague off

Edited by ncarter

I understand about the tartar under the gum line being the ultimate culprit for the production of gum disease ..... but I do wonder about the affects of GA on the system.

Hi,

Flyingfurball, did your vet also tell you that once your dogs teeth have been cleaned the tartar/plaque will re-establish quicker due to the fact that the plaque adheres faster from the rougher surface from the scaling. I had my boys teeth cleaned and within 3 months they were covered in plaque again. I now use some excellent products which mean we don't need to take him for cleanings anymore. I use Petzlife Oral Care Gel and Plaque Off food additive.

Chocolate - is this true even for the fact (?? fact as far as I'm aware, anyway) that in a veterinary clean, the teeth are polished after the clean, for this very reason ???

That question aside - I use Plaque Off and am finding it is assisting with the removal of plaque which gathered quite quickly and suddenly on my dog's very back teeth. I'm still working on it though. Do you specifically find that the using Petzlife Oral Care in conjunction with Plaque Off makes a lot of extra good difference?

Yes despite teeth being polished at the end it has limited ability to smooth out the roughness of the tooth surface over any period of time so plaque soon adheres again.

Hi Chocolate,

Wonderful advice. I'm learning something new each time I visit DOL.

Petzlife Gel used in conjunction with Plaque off, is that both daily at different times?

Sprinkle Plaque off with dinner and maybe use the gel after breakfast perhaps?

Care instructions recommend prohibiting access to water for atleast 30 minutes after application.

So maybe use the gel before bedtime to

allow the Plaque off adequate time to thoroughly medicate?

Flying Furball I hope your feeling better. xoxo.

Edited by ChloeEastwood

I scale and Brush all my dogs teeth myself.

There is a thing that most Vets will but the dog under to clean the teeth, so in general for a $15 treatment you are paying that + Consult + the General - awesome way to make money from the clients ;)

What a vet does to a dog under a GA is more extensive than what you do with your dog at home. But brushing and regular maintenance can mean longer time frames before a proper dental is done.

Edited by Jumabaar

• 2 weeks later...

So I took Tonka back for the complimentary free check in and his mouth has healed well. I ended up getting prescription diet dental food, the small bites one, and he took to it with great enthusiasm when we got home. I also got Plaque Off which I sprinkled on the food and it will last me a long time as he needs such a small daily dose. So all in all feeling more positive and will pick up a kiddies soft tooth brush to do his teeth a few times a week.

I understand about the tartar under the gum line being the ultimate culprit for the production of gum disease ..... but I do wonder about the affects of GA on the system.

Hi,

Flyingfurball, did your vet also tell you that once your dogs teeth have been cleaned the tartar/plaque will re-establish quicker due to the fact that the plaque adheres faster from the rougher surface from the scaling. I had my boys teeth cleaned and within 3 months they were covered in plaque again. I now use some excellent products which mean we don't need to take him for cleanings anymore. I use Petzlife Oral Care Gel and Plaque Off food additive.

Chocolate - is this true even for the fact (?? fact as far as I'm aware, anyway) that in a veterinary clean, the teeth are polished after the clean, for this very reason ???

That question aside - I use Plaque Off and am finding it is assisting with the removal of plaque which gathered quite quickly and suddenly on my dog's very back teeth. I'm still working on it though. Do you specifically find that the using Petzlife Oral Care in conjunction with Plaque Off makes a lot of extra good difference?

Yes despite teeth being polished at the end it has limited ability to smooth out the roughness of the tooth surface over any period of time so plaque soon adheres again.

Hi Chocolate,

Wonderful advice. I'm learning something new each time I visit DOL.

Petzlife Gel used in conjunction with Plaque off, is that both daily at different times?

Sprinkle Plaque off with dinner and maybe use the gel after breakfast perhaps?

Care instructions recommend prohibiting access to water for atleast 30 minutes after application.

So maybe use the gel before bedtime to

allow the Plaque off adequate time to thoroughly medicate?

Flying Furball I hope your feeling better. xoxo.

Sorry Chloeeastwood I have only just seen your message. The Plaque Off is used daily. The Petzlife Gel is used daily to begin with but once the plaque is under control you can go to a maintenance dose of 3 times a week. Yes sprinkle Plaque Off on dinner and then use the Petzlife at bedtime so the gel has maximum time in the mouth overnight without being washed away.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just searching for something for my 16+ yo dog's teeth which are getting quite bad (but the vet doesn't recommend doing anything at her age/probs with blood?) ANyway, was looking to get the Petzlife oral gel or spray plus the plaque off. I notice the WA supplier for the Petzlife no longer stocks it and I wonder which of the others from the Australian Petzlife site stock this and the Plaque off? Only a couple had web sites and I couldn't see it mentioned on them. Does anyone know where in Aus I

can buy both?

Oh, I've been using dentastix for years and no difference. Also raw bones, but need something more now!

Many thanks for your help