Rehoming - Thoughts

~Myschafis~

Hi All,

Just general thoughts here.

Some breeders over the duration of their time with their individual breeds will rehome paticular dogs due to multiple cicrumstances, perhaps looking for a retirement home, at a Junior age didn't turn out as expected, numbers get too high and tough decisions need to be made to move forward, so on and so forth.

I understand that this can be a controversial topic in the best of circumstances, for the purposes of this discussion we are presuming that we are 'pro' rehoming for whatever the circumstance may be.

My question is as breeders it is largely frowned upon when a pet owner rehomes, to generalise the consensus appears to be the negativity due to the decision not being an 'acceptable' reason from our point of view.

I am opening the floor for all thoughts on this, I am not posing a paticular opion on it personally, just interested in thoughts from others?

Im a bit of a fence sitter on this one.

Its never felt right to me to rehome dogs because they were no longer "fit" for the show ring. Ive done it three times and both times it broke my heart and i vowed never to do it again. Having said that, if i didnt rehome the three that i did, then i would have too many couch potatoes and nothing to show! :laugh:

I dont have multiple dogs, my dogs are not kept in kennels and they are a part of our family first and foremost, show dogs second. So i tend to be more on the side of disagreeing with it. I can understand why breeders do it, afer all, there are only so many dogs that you can have living on one property. If a breeder is showing every weekend and showing is their life, then again, i can understand the big turnover. I still dont agree with it. But then again, i dont like the idea of dogs living in kennels either, regardless of how well they are cared for. Maybe i think too much like a pet owner rather than a breeder/exhibitor.

But that is just my opinion and how i feel. I am not a big time show person because i dont get the time with two small children. It is a hobby that i am hoping to get back into doing about once every 4-6 weeks. if neither of the two "potential" show puppies that will be joining our home soon, work out, then they will stay with us regardless. My two kids are also at an age now where i dont think its fair to rehome their pets. They dont understand the world of showing and my daughter still asks about one of the dogs i rehomed and she misses him.

I do think there are certain breeders and showies who have a huge amount of dogs and a massive rehoming history where the dogs seem to be considered disposable. I fail to understand how any one person can give that amount of dogs the quality time, love and care that is required and to be honest, i feel quite sorry for their dogs. :flame: Suit on!

:bolt:

Hi All,

Just general thoughts here.

Some breeders over the duration of their time with their individual breeds will rehome paticular dogs due to multiple cicrumstances, perhaps looking for a retirement home, at a Junior age didn't turn out as expected, numbers get too high and tough decisions need to be made to move forward, so on and so forth.

I understand that this can be a controversial topic in the best of circumstances, for the purposes of this discussion we are presuming that we are 'pro' rehoming for whatever the circumstance may be.

My question is as breeders it is largely frowned upon when a pet owner rehomes, to generalise the consensus appears to be the negativity due to the decision not being an 'acceptable' reason from our point of view.

I am opening the floor for all thoughts on this, I am not posing a paticular opion on it personally, just interested in thoughts from others?

Whipitgood..I can see every point from both sides of this as a reasonable statement to make,..... Do you personally get that instant disheartened feeling when you hear of pet owners rehoming their dogs because of whatever paticular circumstance caused them to do so?

I have no objections to anyone rehoming a dog or cat or budgie or horse or hamster

There's two sides to this in my way of thinking.

To some people animals are disposable and if they aren't particularly good owners then the animal could be better off somewhere else. Yes of course if someone isn't a particularly good owner there is always a chance that the animal will be sold or given to the first person who will take it so it might end up somewhere worse, which does make me angry.

To other people animals are precious and every care is taken when circumstances force the owner to rehome - in which case it's pretty much guaranteed the animal will end up in a good place.

People's lives change and to chastise and belittle someone who has made the decision to rehome really isn't very helpful to the animal concerned.

Lets just say im not so quick to judge as some! :laugh:

I think a pet owner rehoming a pet dog for one reason or another, is a different scenario to breeders who simply rehome because they are no longer suited to the show ring.

What does make me particularly sad, is breeders/exhibitors rehoming their old dogs, some champions, to make way for younger dogs to go in the ring. Ive seen adverts on the adults available pages, that state exactly that - "they did well in the ring and they are an Australian Champion, but we need to rehome him to make way for his puppies". This was a recent advert. That to me, is appalling. I find rehoming the oldies very sad.

Whipitgood..I can see every point from both sides of this as a reasonable statement to make,..... Do you personally get that instant disheartened feeling when you hear of pet owners rehoming their dogs because of whatever paticular circumstance caused them to do so?

Regardless of who does the rehoming...if it's done with the animals interest at the heart of the issue and not a convenience issue...I"m fine with it. MANY owners have had to rehome due to issues, and they do it very well, making sure they learn about the new home and what it will offer to the mature animal and its needs. It's no different than a breeder doing it.

We all know there are lots of dogs rehomed because of the wrong reasons and put in the wrong situations, and it's something both owners and breeders are guilty of.

I see it from the perspective of someone involved in co-ordinating rehoming for a breed club.

I have changed thoughts on this fairly radically over the years of being involved in this.

I see that many serious, committed breeders cannot continue with their breeding programme if they keep all their dogs, long lived dogs in our breed live up to 14 years or so. So... do they keep more dogs than they have time/room for? Do they restrict their breeding programmes, not keeping puppies from litters they have carefully considered and planned? or do they find loving companion homes for the dogs who no longer breeding/show prospects?

If it's done with care and consideration to the dog's needs and finding the *right* home, it's a great story. The dogs don't regret going to a home where there is love, food and care - it's a little disheartening sometimes to see how quickly they change their allegiance and fit in perfectly.

and for the people who rehome their dog because they now have a child... <sigh> ....(or whatever reason they have) for them it's a real problem and their situation is as they see it. I personally don't get it, but have learned to hold my tongue and just find the dog a home where they are appreciated for what they are and are given the time and input they need.

So... I don't really criticise anyone much these days for rehoming a dog - as long as the dog's needs are met and the home is right, it's all good. However, i do believe that it's necessary to do a lot of background checking, situation matching etc to get it right the first time.

Edited by lils mum

I too see both sides of the argument. I think in some cases it is better for the dog to go and live with a family rather than be the "'dud' at the stud"! My situation is that although I enjoy showing and hope to be able to breed top quality dogs, my "less than perfect" dogs are in fact my pets and are easy to live with. The first Cavalier I purchased is as far from what I look for in a dog today as I can get, she is however my daughters pet and was bought for her when she was seven. When people ask me if I am going to rehome her I explain this and they immediately understand and say "Of course you cannot rehome her". She is here for the duration. Fortunately, Cavaliers have a terrific pack dynamic.

That said, I have had a dog that repeatedly killed chickens and when my mum suggested she come live with her she was there in a heartbeat. I never even though of this as "rehoming", this was Tessa gone to live with mum and dad.

Edited by LizT

IMO it really depends HOW it is done - not WHY it is done.

Certainly there are a lot of rehoming reasons that I would not agree with/do myself (and some that do make me shake my head).

But it is not me who is rehoming the dog and really who am I to judge whether the reason is a valid one or not for them as long as the person is doing it with the interests of the dog at heart in the way they undertake the process.

This is a really case by case thing, but in some ways I'd rather see a track record of rehoming from breeders and rescuers than otherwise. It's very easy to slip into a situation where you are over your head, even after one litter. Far better to rehome responsibly than to end up in a mess.

My views are different for companion homes because the person isn't involved in the messy business of breeding or rescue. Ideally they have put some thought into the kind of dog they want and the investment they will need to make. Unlike breeders or rescuers, they don't have to think about making "places" available to continue their work responsibly. So I do expect companion homes will make a "dog is for life" commitment.

That said, ultimately I agree with Espinay, the how is much more important. If you're going to do it, do it well and do it responsibly. I like the rule that some breeders have mentioned, which is, the home has to better than I am currently providing. More attention, more training, more time, etc.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

We have rehomed older dogs & never regretted it,99% of the time its people who already have one of our dogs & want a mate without the puppy stage or its people who have had ours & lost there last dog but through age don't want a puppy but an older dog .

We have placed a number with older people who lost there previous dog & the dogs have lived the loving loyal life

We wont just rehome to any tom ,dick or harry especially as our dogs are use to a lifestyle of us being home all the time & other dogs for company .

We don't have to rehome any but i do believe some dogs thrive more when this option is workable & with the right home.

Rehoming here breaks our heart too but sometimes you now some dogs will thrive in the right home than be part of the pack & left home on weekends or missing out .

The joy we get in return is the owners coming back so thrilled with there new mate & it being the perfect solution to there needs & the perfect home for our dog

To me, you have to not only think about your hobby or sport, but also what is the best thing for the dog.

I have rehomed dogs which did not have a personality to suit me. Lovely dogs and both dogs which I have done this, ended up in excellent homes where the personality of the person matched that of the animal and they could get more out of the dog than what I could ever hope to achieve. In short - perfect match.

I have rehomed other dogs which did not work out. Again, they were not rehomed to the first person who offered money or home. But rather a home that would suit the personality, needs and temperament of the dog.

Whether the person rehoming the dog is a breeder or pet. If an excellent home is found and the dog will be equally or better off in the new home, then I see no issue.

I take umbarge at those who decide that a dog is no longer suitable for their home, dump them in a pound or rescue or rehome them to the first person who comes by, whether they be suitable or not. Or those who know they are going on an extended trip and leave it to the last minute to get rid of the dog - again to the first person who comes by or uses phrases like "If you do not take this by the end of the weekend I will drown it (or kill it by other means)".

I am a little hmm maybe hmmm okay about this as well.

I understand breeders cannot keep all of their dogs. Some do seem to go through a lot of dogs, but as I do not know exactly why they do I cannot pass comment. I can understand why breeders rehome their oldies as well. Some see it as terrible I do not, and this is why.

I had the absolute pleasure of sharing the last almost 6 years of my Dobermann "Natasha's" life. She came to me at 6 years of age after being retired, desexed etc. She originally came for a bit of a holiday. I had a puppy (then 18mo) who had gone back to his breeder for assesment as basically we didn't get along at all. We really didn't like each other and he just didn't not have the type of personality I looked for/wanted/needed in a dog. The breeder sent this girl for a holiday so I wouldn't be dogless and so she could have runs on the beach etc. Within 2 days I knew I didn't ever want to send her back. After a few weeks I spoke with her breeder about it. I knew if he wanted her back then that was it, as heartbreaking as it would have been. He chose to allow her to stay as he felt she deserved a home where she was the main focus. At his place she was one of 8 or there abouts. There was another and they hated each other, so it was shuffling, seperating etc. At my house she had a lovely yard all day, all to herself, a lounge that she didn't get kicked off and beach walks every morning. She also came to work with me every day. She didn't get as much attention at his house.

I also ended up buying her grandaughter down the track.

Then more recently, I was lucky enough to be able to buy an almost 8 mo Whippet from a breeder :) Not the person who bred him, but the breeder who bred my bitch. He came from a home similar to mine, young kids, cats, off lead running etc. Within 24hours he was mine, heart and soul. We adore each other. I didn't have to go through the puppy stage, but I got a well adjusted dog who had been exposed to all the things that were important for us. He was young enough to still be a sponge and learn quickly in our chosen dog sports. I wouldn't give him back to the world, I am grateful that I got him as he was meant to be.

If breeder were not prepared to rehome those that had retired or what not quite what they needed then I would have missed out on two wonderful dogs.

I also agree it is not the rehoming I ever have an issue with, it is how it is done.

Edited by OSoSwift

I am a little hmm maybe hmmm okay about this as well.

I understand breeders cannot keep all of their dogs. Some do seem to go through a lot of dogs, but as I do not know exactly why they do I cannot pass comment. I can understand why breeders rehome their oldies as well. Some see it as terrible I do not, and this is why.

I had the absolute pleasure of sharing the last almost 6 years of my Dobermann "Natasha's" life. She came to me at 6 years of age after being retired, desexed etc. She originally came for a bit of a holiday. I had a puppy (then 18mo) who had gone back to his breeder for assesment as basically we didn't get along at all. We really didn't like each other and he just didn't not have the type of personality I looked for/wanted/needed in a dog. The breeder sent this girl for a holiday so I wouldn't be dogless and so she could have runs on the beach etc. Within 2 days I knew I didn't ever want to send her back. After a few weeks I spoke with her breeder about it. I knew if he wanted her back then that was it, as heartbreaking as it would have been. He chose to allow her to stay as he felt she deserved a home where she was the main focus. At his place she was one of 8 or there abouts. There was another and they hated each other, so it was shuffling, seperating etc. At my house she had a lovely yard all day, all to herself, a lounge that she didn't get kicked off and beach walks every morning. She also came to work with me every day. She didn't get as much attention at his house.

I also ended up buying her grandaughter down the track.

Then more recently, I was lucky enough to be able to buy an almost 8 mo Whippet from a breeder :) Not the person who bred him, but the breeder who bred my bitch. He came from a home similar to mine, young kids, cats, off lead running etc. Within 24hours he was mine, heart and soul. We adore each other. I didn't have to go through the puppy stage, but I got a well adjusted dog who had been exposed to all the things that were important for us. He was young enough to still be a sponge and learn quickly in our chosen dog sports. I wouldn't give him back to the world, I am grateful that I got him as he was meant to be.

If breeder were not prepared to rehome those that had retired or what not quite what they needed then I would have missed out on two wonderful dogs.

I also agree it is not the rehoming I ever have an issue with, it is how it is done.

That's lovely OSS. It beautifully highlights the mutual benefits of "obtaining an older dog", which we will now refer to instead of "rehoming". :)

I feel it is all based on situation, and whether it is best for the dog.

For myself, I have only been in the situation once, and I rehomed her because she was my mums dog, my mum has moved overseas and while i originally intended to keep her on, but i could see she was unhappy in a multidog household where I could not give her the attention she needed, having come from a single dog home where she was the centre of attention. she went to a home with an existing weim of very similar temperament, with experienced owners that are able to meet her needs.

For me, while I do enjoy showing, I have reached my maximum in dogs for the time being, and the "retired" dogs or ones that never made the showring will stay with me because they fit in the home well. I can leave showing for a few years while my dogs live out their lives, but I understand that not everyone can or wants to do this. There are other things that my dogs can keep doing when I feel they have no more to offer in the showring.

I don't have anything against breeders rehoming to "pet homes", because often it's because they want their dogs to live out the remainder of their lives as the apple of someones eye, and it's how they do it, ensuring the person is right for the dog and understands the dogs needs.

Pet owners, well, it really does depend on the situation, and again, how they go about it. It's easy to put owners in the same basket, especially if you hear some of their excuses for rehoming and the conditions the dog is currently in, but it's the responsible owners that rehome the right way, that you don't hear about.

I feel it is all based on situation, and whether it is best for the dog.

For myself, I have only been in the situation once, and I rehomed her because she was my mums dog, my mum has moved overseas and while i originally intended to keep her on, but i could see she was unhappy in a multidog household where I could not give her the attention she needed, having come from a single dog home where she was the centre of attention. she went to a home with an existing weim of very similar temperament, with experienced owners that are able to meet her needs.

For me, while I do enjoy showing, I have reached my maximum in dogs for the time being, and the "retired" dogs or ones that never made the showring will stay with me because they fit in the home well. I can leave showing for a few years while my dogs live out their lives, but I understand that not everyone can or wants to do this. There are other things that my dogs can keep doing when I feel they have no more to offer in the showring.

I don't have anything against breeders rehoming to "pet homes", because often it's because they want their dogs to live out the remainder of their lives as the apple of someones eye, and it's how they do it, ensuring the person is right for the dog and understands the dogs needs.

Pet owners, well, it really does depend on the situation, and again, how they go about it. It's easy to put owners in the same basket, especially if you hear some of their excuses for rehoming and the conditions the dog is currently in, but it's the responsible owners that rehome the right way, that you don't hear about.

Yes, it really does depend on the situation.

And regarding even horses , I do get sad when I read about some elderly schoolmaster being sold on for big $$$$$ when he is well and truly deserving of a quite retirement. :(

Edited by LizT

We have a condition with our puppy owners that if they ever need to rehome their dogs they must come back to us or through us to be rehomed. We have only had one rehomed at 14 mths due to marriage break up - until now when I have 2 5yr olds to rehome due to marriage / relationship break up. They have done the right thing by coming back through us to rehome but it still breaks my heart to have to do it. The dogs will get on with their lives I know that - they cope better than we do :).

Best place that dreaded add :cry: .

Edited by Bisart Dobes

And, it has to be said, that some breeds do rehome far smoother than others. I know that even though I think they couldn't get by without me my Cavaliers would re-home far easier than say my GSD ever would.

I would tend to agree that certain breeds are happier to adjust to new circumstances.

I guess the thing is, what makes responsible breeders decisions to rehome any more valid than those of a pet home....

Pet Home - Had a baby dont have enough time now (Breeder - Had another litter, too many dogs, dont have enough time for all the dogs)

Pet Home - Had to move new place wont accept dogs (Breeder - Was too old to show or breed, wanted a retirement home)

Pet Home - Grew too big doesnt fit in my lifestyle now. (Breeder - Didn't grow to be show quality, need to make way for something that is)

I understand that in a lot of cases breeders put their heart and soul into making the gut wrenching decision to ensure that dog is going to get a better lifestyle than they are currently getting, and it would appear that pet owners are quick to dump at a pound or not screen prospective new homes to the level we would perhaps aspire to.

I also understand that not all breeders would agree with the above reasons for rehoming, however I can guarantee they are common reasons pet owners and breeders do rehome their dogs. When you look at it like that I guess I dont see so much the difference between the reason why as to the how, exactly as Espinay said.

I rehomed an older desexed dog because I had every intention of moving interstate and due to his temperament I didn't think he'd cope well with the extreme change.

He went to an older couple with another older dog who I knew through family, they agreed to trial him for a week to see how he would fit in and after 3 days they'd decided he was a keeper. He and the other dog got along well, barely noticed each other in fact, they each do their own thing.

I more recently rehomed an almost 18 month old dog as he did not get on well around groups of other dogs (so unsuitable to show and didn't want to breed it on). He went to a 20 year old who still lived with her family to be a companion for her. He warmed quickly to them when they came to visit and them to him. The reason I felt it was best to rehome rather than keep this one was with the possibility of bringing new dogs into the environment for me to continue showing and breeding, I didn't want the unpredictability of his behaviour around new dogs who he hadn't been acquainted with yet. He was rehomed with full disclosure of this trait and they are not going to take him to dog parks or the like.