Introducing Pug Puppy To Older Dogs

luvs_mutts

Just purchased a pug puppy from a breeder; I have a older Terrier female mix about 4 yo. My Mother's King Charles Spaniel is here often too. I want to know the best way to introduce them. Many articles I've read have stated to crate the pug; is this correct? i have a spare room do you think it's best to set the pug puppy up in there with food, water, toys and bed whilst i'm at work (I only work a few hours per day). The Terrier and King Charles Spaniel sleep in the lounge room.

I didn't do anything when introducing my two. Kirah was a tiny thing and Zeus is a tall and lanky 15 kilo boy -- all I was worried about was him knocking her off our retaining wall in his excitement.

On our paved, flat area, I knelt down with Kirah in my arms and let Zeus sniff her. His tail was going a million miles per hour and they hit it off immediately. Zeus played the gentle, big brother and showed her around; he was glad for the company I think.

Because of their size difference though they NEVER had unsupervised play until Kirah was about 5 months old.

I would say it would be the same as above. Introduce slowly, making sure you have an out for the pup (meaning you can grab it and remove it) if things get a little too excited.

Then if things look ok and your other dog appears happy, gently put the pup on the floor, but stay there just in case. I'd allow short play times, then increase it.

Some dogs are just born to be together, others will never get along, a lot like humans. But most dogs do get along.

I'd keep the sleeping in separate rooms thing going until your pup is a little older. You can crate them in separate crates at bed time (in the same room), at least until you can trust the older dog not to hurt....intentionally or accidentally the pup.

Lynn

I have a 3yo GSD and a 4.5 month great Dane. I just put GSD in the back yard and let them look and sniff through the fence for a few days. GD had the front yard, GSD had the back yard. On day three I swapped them so they could sniff around where the other was. Then I just opened the gate and let them meet. Now they spend all their time together. Outside together all day and in the laundry together all night.

You could organize a walk. One person takes a dog each then meet at a nutural place for a greeting, then just walk home together.

We got our second dog from the pound and brought our girl along to meet him then. As soon as they met they just went nuts play fighting and the day we brought him home I think they played for about 4 hours straight....I wouldn't recommend that for such a little puppy, our boy was big even at 4 months :laugh: but I think as others have said just let them sniff and get to know each other with supervision.

LOL @ Clyde!!

Yes I would keep the pug puppy separated while you are not at home, for two reasons:

(1) Adults need a break from very young puppies nagging to play all the time, even if you were at home all day you would be putting puppy in a playpen or separate area several times a day anyway.

(2) Pugs, having flat faces, drop ears and tightly curled tails can be hard to "read" for many other breeds until they become accustomed to them (it is a bit like the Pug "accent" is very very broad) and miscommunication can happen which could be dangerous if you are not there to intervene. Only time can address this, and in some cases (Arctic breeds and other classic spitz types seem to have the most problems with reading pugs) misunderstandings can occur after years together.

So certainly for the first month or so, I would pen the puppy separately when you are not home. After that, you will be able to judge from the way that they interact when it has become safe for them all to run together when you are not home.

Plus we needs pics of the new puppy - come on over to the pug thread please :D :D :D

Yes. Puppy pics are compulsory :)

You cant mention "pug puppy" in a thread without pics...its against the unwritten forum rules. :D

^^^^^Didn't you notice these subtle hints? Can't you take 5 mins time away from pug puppy cuddles and take some pics for us? Pleeeeeeease?

Here is a photo of the puppy; sorry for the late reply but things have been EXTREMELY hectic here. She is adorable. We have named her Lulu. I am keeping her in the bathroom (it has a automatic heater in there so she is warm all day), with her food, drink, toys, kong etc. The other dogs have been quite good with her but obviously it will take time to adjust PLUS I have two 17 yo cats who are a little upset! I'm sure everything will be fine. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice; ANYTHING pug related (she is my first pug) is extremely helpful. I will look for the pug thread; where can I find it on the forum?

post-18783-0-16960900-1338798377_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the puppy; sorry for the late reply but things have been EXTREMELY hectic here. She is adorable. We have named her Lulu. I am keeping her in the bathroom (it has a automatic heater in there so she is warm all day), with her food, drink, toys, kong etc. The other dogs have been quite good with her but obviously it will take time to adjust PLUS I have two 17 yo cats who are a little upset! I'm sure everything will be fine. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice; ANYTHING pug related (she is my first pug) is extremely helpful. I will look for the pug thread; where can I find it on the forum?

I should add; keeping her in the bathroom when noone is at home; then of course socializing her with the other animals as soon as I get home again. And here's another photo!

post-18783-0-77721800-1338798555_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...