I Finally Made My Own Raw Food

Come live with me, MtS ..... I'd love you to be looking after the meal preparation for my dog - you put in such a lot of time, energy and thought.

Oh yes ..... and money!! Lol - I know your pain on that one. My doggy food bills match yours plus some, and I only have one dog !!! :eek: :laugh:

I know Erny my parents are complaining on how much time and effort and specially money I spend on the dogs. They always saying why don't you just feed a simple kibble, Well Nissy my whippet does horrible farts on black hawk and thats classed a premium food. My parents want me too feed supermarket food, If missy farts bad on black hawk I would hate to see what she would do on cheap supermarket food. I think its the lamb meat in the black hawk causing her bad farts but can't be sure. Missy handles pork,chicken,turkey,beef and roo prefectly fine either that or it's cause the food is cooked. If I could find a kibble that would agree with Missy I would probably use it, but in the long run I could be spending more on kibble then on raw.

I eat Garlic, makes my breath stink but its good for me, I eat eggs they make my farts stink but they are good for me, I eat Bake Beans and boy they make my farts stink, yet they are good for me, so why isn’t my dog allowed to fart ? or burp ? its ok for all other animals to do so ? cows and methane ?? I would have thought that farting was a healthy part of life :laugh:

Come live with me, MtS ..... I'd love you to be looking after the meal preparation for my dog - you put in such a lot of time, energy and thought.

Oh yes ..... and money!! Lol - I know your pain on that one. My doggy food bills match yours plus some, and I only have one dog !!! :eek: :laugh:

I know Erny my parents are complaining on how much time and effort and specially money I spend on the dogs. They always saying why don't you just feed a simple kibble, Well Nissy my whippet does horrible farts on black hawk and thats classed a premium food. My parents want me too feed supermarket food, If missy farts bad on black hawk I would hate to see what she would do on cheap supermarket food. I think its the lamb meat in the black hawk causing her bad farts but can't be sure. Missy handles pork,chicken,turkey,beef and roo prefectly fine either that or it's cause the food is cooked. If I could find a kibble that would agree with Missy I would probably use it, but in the long run I could be spending more on kibble then on raw.

I eat Garlic, makes my breath stink but its good for me, I eat eggs they make my farts stink but they are good for me, I eat Bake Beans and boy they make my farts stink, yet they are good for me, so why isn’t my dog allowed to fart ? or burp ? its ok for all other animals to do so ? cows and methane ?? I would have thought that farting was a healthy part of life :laugh:

I know animals fart just like us humans do but tell me is it normal for a dog to fart 10 times in 10 minutes an hour after they have eatten? I mean there really smelly its like you can't breath or stand being around her when she does it.

Some dogs really guts their food down, they often swallow air while doing so and this is what ends up coming out the other end, along with gases produced from the food breaking down in ther digestive system..

I have a dog that farts about an hour or so after each meal and it can be pretty offensive...

My old stafford had cancer and some other issues and he was well known for clearing a room at any time of day or night...

Each dog is different, some fart more than other and I really do think what food, the way they eat it and the activity they do all combine to give them gas...

Edited by Staffyluv

Some dogs really guts their food down, they often swallow air while doing so and this is what ends up coming out the other end, along with gases produced from the food breaking down in ther digestive system..

I have a dog that farts about an hour or so after each meal and it can be pretty offensive...

My old stafford had cancer and some other issues and he was well known for clearing a room at any time of day or night...

Each dog is different, some fart more than other and I really do think what food, the way they eat it and the activity they do all combine to give them gas...

Missy doesn't guts down her food it takes her 15-20 minutes to eat 3/4 cup of food. It doesn't matter what she does after she has eatten her farts are still rotten. She doesn't seem to be farting much on raw or scratching alot but raw is costing me alot more to feed 4 dogs, I still think theres something in black hawk thatis causing her bad farts.

Missy doesn't guts down her food it takes her 15-20 minutes to eat 3/4 cup of food. It doesn't matter what she does after she has eatten her farts are still rotten. She doesn't seem to be farting much on raw or scratching alot but raw is costing me alot more to feed 4 dogs, I still think theres something in black hawk thatis causing her bad farts.

That probably has a lot to do with what you're feeding. The dogs probably like all the premium quality meat - but they don't need it.

You should be able to pick up chicken frames, wings and necks, lamb flaps and necks, roo spine, roo mince, turkey necks/wings/drumsticks etc for approx $3-$5 per kilo. Add in some raw minced veg, the supplement you are already using, a few eggs here and there, a can of home brand sardines one night, a bit of offal another, a scoop of natural yoghurt if you have it, left over rice and pasta when it's there. Shouldn't work out too expensive at all and barely any preparation time involved - portion up your meat and freeze, same with veg then defrost as you need it.

Otherwise buy up on VAN in bulk (15kg bag) soak it and mix with the appropriate ratio of roo mince. Easy as and just as cheap as mid range dry food.

I've been making up raw food for my dog for the past few months and been surprised at how cheap it is. Do you have a Tasman meats anywhere near you?

Tasman meat regular prices: chicken wings or chicken pieces $3/kg, chicken carcases $2/kg, lamb ribs $4 kg, beef mince $4/kg, chicken liver $4/kg. And I also check out the reduced for quick sale buys which are always good. This is all human grade meat.

The only other dog food items I buy are the cheapest cans of salmon and frozen spinach from ALDI and roo mince $8/kg from woolworths. For the veges I just save freeze all the leftovers from our meals and salads and then add the spinach.

I've been feeding raw for more than a decade and would never feed any other way now. I mixed up a tub of food today (which will feed my four Bullmastiffs for about 8 days plus some RMBs) and will try and remember what I threw in:

• About 4kgs of minced chicken frames
  • About 5kgs of a minced meat/offal mix (from the abbotair)
  • Some chopped up liver
  • Fair whack of Sprint Oil
  • 5 tsps of liquid kelp
  • 1 kg tub of natural yoghurt
  • Some leftover cooked spagetti chopped up

Mixed into this were the following all juiced together:

• Dozen eggs with shells
  • Bulb of garlic
  • Knob of ginger
  • bunch of parsley
  • box of green outer lettuce leaves
  • half a bunch of celery
  • half a dozen apples
  • half a pumpkin
  • small bag of carrots
  • about 10 stalks of silverbeet
  • a punnet of strawberries that had gone soft in the fridge

Then I pull on the rubber gloves and mix it all throughly together and pack into big icecream containers. A couple in the fridge and the rest in the freezer :-)

JR

I commend you on wanting to feed your dogs raw foods, it is very good for them...

Dogs don't need filler... They need a good balance of nutrients...

I feed a mix of barf and royal canin (it was Nutro but we changed) and raw bones...

He gets a cup of kibble in the morning with a few chicken necks or some tinned sardines in oil.

Interesting advice, considering the majority of kibble is filler ;)

Because "filler" (carb source) is a cheap way of providing energy.

well it looks like I'll have to stick to raw feeding Missy isn't keen on earthborn holistic either just like black hawk takes a few bites then leaves the rest. With raw I don't have a problem getting her to eat at all. I don't mind I get my mince from bucket o beef which I have a fair bit of, All I need to get is more cottage cheese,yoghurt,chunky meat and veggies. Tommorrow I'll be taking whats left of the earthborn holistic to petstock, I can't believe she doesn't like it. Looks like I have a dog that loves raw food.