Diy Grooming Tables

I normally groom my dogs on the ground or at best on a bed, but it is getting increasingly hard on my back. I was thinking of getting one of those large metal framed card tables from Bunnings. I think they are probably about 1m x 1m & are very strong. The down side would be that maybe they are too big & the dog could escape from me to the other side :laugh: & the plastic coating would'nt last long, but then I could replace it with a non slip cover. Also I could drill some holes in it to attach racks ect to hold my tools etc. But I was also looking at this one on Ebay Stainless Steel Grooming Table What do others use :)

I am in the exactly the same position as you Sheena & have been having 2 visits a week to the Chiro as I have a bad back & think all the bending over grooming my 2 isn't helping. Oh the joys of getting old LOL.

I have been saving for a grooming table. Sorry I am of no help to you but will be following this post with keen interest.

I saw some on ebay for $260 with the grooming arm. Thought they looked good.

Edited by BC Crazy

I am in the exactly the same position as you Sheena & have been having 2 visits a week to the Chiro as I have a bad back & think all the bending over grooming my 2 isn't helping. Oh the joys of getting old LOL.

I have been saving for a grooming table. Sorry I am of no help to you but will be following this post with keen interest.

That one I put the link to above on Ebay is only $96.00. My biggest worry about putting them on a table is them jumping off..but I guess it's like everything, they have to be conditioned to it..ie..value has to be put on the table. ATM my young guy wont even let me brush him even with a soft bristle brush. Down along his back is sort of OK but as soon as I try to do his sides or neck he snaps at my hand. His tail has dreds in it so I will have to something with him soon....Im working on it, but I don't want to get nipped :( maybe I should wear a glove.

My girl hates grooming with a passion too. She is improving very slowly. I groom my 2 daily without fail. I think this has helped but we have ways to go.

She used to growl & lip curl at me from the day I got her at 3 months old but I just persisted every day, extented the time & being more invasive with her each day. She is 18 months old now & still hates being groomed but "suffers" it . Poor girl :)

I have made my own table but it was made for a Newfoundland so you might want to tone the measurements down a bit

Go to Bunnings and buy 17mill plywood

Pyamid matting ( I got blue)

Quick grip glue

Aluminium angle This was not easy to find the right one, we glued and screwed it around the edge.

Bunnings also sold the folding legs that hold I think 180kilos

We made the table 700wide x 1300 long x 600 high. The legs we brought were to high so i had them cut down at a local engineering firm..

I use this table to take to the dog shows and I have a different one at home.

But I was also looking at this one on Ebay Stainless Steel Grooming Table What do others use :)

As a groomer I have 3 different tables. Two of them are Liberty and one is from Ebay, very similar if not the same to your link. This is the one I prefer due to the shape, height etc - although the basket underneath was annoying so I got rid of it. If you back it up against the wall you shouldn't have trouble with your dog jumping off. I have all sorts of grooming arms etc and rarely use them. As your hands are mostly on the dog when you groom it is easy to keep the dog on the table. The H frame will come in handy though until they get used to it.

That one I put the link to above on Ebay is only $96.00. My biggest worry about putting them on a table is them jumping off..but I guess it's like everything, they have to be conditioned to it..ie..value has to be put on the table. ATM my young guy wont even let me brush him even with a soft bristle brush. Down along his back is sort of OK but as soon as I try to do his sides or neck he snaps at my hand. His tail has dreds in it so I will have to something with him soon....Im working on it, but I don't want to get nipped :( maybe I should wear a glove.

Just a thought Sheena but I am in the process of getting Stella used to wearing a plastic muzzle as our last vet visit was a complete disaster. She got herself really worked up & lashed out at our vet biting him on the face :(

Not good at all :o The only reason he still has his nose is cause she is an overshot girl & can't quite get a really good grip. Thank god ! It all happened so quickly, even took the vet by total surprise as I have not had any

trouble in the past with her going to the vets. Anyway was just thinking you may be able to try your boy with one & gradually edge him in to grooming that way. At least he won't be able to nip you. Just trying to help :)

Just a thought Sheena but I am in the process of getting Stella used to wearing a plastic muzzle as our last vet visit was a complete disaster. She got herself really worked up & lashed out at our vet biting him on the face :(

Not good at all :o The only reason he still has his nose is cause she is an overshot girl & can't quite get a really good grip. Thank god ! It all happened so quickly, even took the vet by total surprise as I have not had any

trouble in the past with her going to the vets. Anyway was just thinking you may be able to try your boy with one & gradually edge him in to grooming that way. At least he won't be able to nip you. Just trying to help :)

good idea....I was going to try this to stop him chewing his seat belt & the leather car upholstery when we took him on his first long trip without the crate, but someone suggested he might freak out so I spent the whole trip watching him. OH did the driving. Took my eyes off him for 2 minutes & he chewed his lovely new seat belt that I got for him all the way from America. :mad

Is this the sort of muzzle you have Plastic muzzle

My husband made me a grooming table with an Adjustable aluminium work platform from bunnings around $60. He screwed a platform on top made of ply and then we put some artificial grass carpet on top, so it didn't slip, but you could use a rubber mat or something similar. He put an aluminium edge around the platform. It has 3 heights. I groom my Bernese Mountain dogs on it and find it very sturdy. You just need to get the dimensions of the top right, so if the dog stands to the side it won't tip. On the lowest adjustment my big dogs can easily step up. I can sit on a stool and groom them! Love it! The legs also fold down, so it is pretty portable.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_adjustable-aluminium-work-platform_617.aspx?search=Aluminium+work+bench&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Is this the sort of muzzle you have Plastic muzzle

Yes Sheena that is the exact same one. Just measure his muzzel to get the right size :)

My husband made me a grooming table with an Adjustable aluminium work platform from bunnings around $60. He screwed a platform on top made of ply and then we put some artificial grass carpet on top, so it didn't slip, but you could use a rubber mat or something similar. He put an aluminium edge around the platform. It has 3 heights. I groom my Bernese Mountain dogs on it and find it very sturdy. You just need to get the dimensions of the top right, so if the dog stands to the side it won't tip. On the lowest adjustment my big dogs can easily step up. I can sit on a stool and groom them! Love it! The legs also fold down, so it is pretty portable.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_adjustable-aluminium-work-platform_617.aspx?search=Aluminium+work+bench&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Thanks for that link....but is it wide enough ??

I made my own and it has been going strong about 5 years so far, I made it the exact same way as I helped a friend ot make hers probably 10 years ago and hers is still going strong as well.

1. Visit Bunnings

2. Go to the ply wood section and select a nice grooming table sized piece (I think it is 900x600mm, it is a standard size that they have pre cut)

3. Find the aisle with trestles and you can buy the fold up trestle legs

4. Go to the area with floor coverings and get some pyramid matting (I bought a piece a bit bigger than the ply so I could trim it once on)

5. Go to the adhesive area and find a suitable adhesive for the pyramid matting

6. Return home, screw trestle legs (mine had screws supplied) to plywood

7. Stand table up, cover with adhesive then place pyramid mating over the top.

8. Place something heavy on table to hold pyramid matting in place or turn table upside down until glue dries.

9. Once dry, trim pyramid matting.

10. Groom dog!!

I think from memory the legs were the most expensive at about $20- $25, a few dollars for the adhesive, not much for the ply and $5 or so for the matting. Including the trip to Bunnings and back home it would have been less than an hours work.

I have made my own table but it was made for a Newfoundland so you might want to tone the measurements down a bit

Quick grip glue

Aluminium angle This was not easy to find the right one, we glued and screwed it around the edge.

We made the table 700wide x 1300 long x 600 high. The legs we brought were to high so i had them cut down at a local engineering firm..

I should have read the whole thread first :)

Quick grip glue

I should have read the whole thread first :)

Snap

The aluminium work bench isn't on its own of course, but the board you put on top makes it wide enough, like I said you do have to be careful if the dog stood with totally all his weight on one side, it could tip. However I have 2 large Bernese Mountain dogs and find that it works well for them, they sit and stand on it and haven't tipped it. Of course I am with them all the time they are on the table! I would take a photo, but it is down at the kennels and it is pouring rain at the moment, so not venturing down there just yet :laugh: