Do You Speak The Language

I'm pondering whether to try and crowbar some time into my schedule to learn Arabic. A few of the serious breeders in my breed have done so. Advantages are that you have better access to online discussions and can communicate to some extent online with COO breeders.

So interested if others speak the language of their breed, and if they use it as part of their work in their breed. Was thinking there'd be a few German speaking GSD owners for example.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't speak/read or intend to learn Han or Mandarin, but since Britain was the country of development of my breed, English is the must have language for Pugaholics so that isn't an issue for me.

Interesting point though, especially for breeds less common in Englidh-speaking countries where most of the best kennels and genes are perhaps concentrated in their non-Emglish speaking country of origin or development.

Some of the Central Asian Shepherding breeds for instance - I would think that only speaking English and not having access to a dog savvy interpreter would be a considerable handicap for a serious breeder in this country? Imagine trying to rely on babelfish or Goolge translate!!!:eek:

Some of the Central Asian Shepherding breeds for instance - I would think that only speaking English and not having access to a dog savvy interpreter would be a considerable handicap for a serious breeder in this country? Imagine trying to rely on babelfish or Goolge translate!!!:eek:

That's partly why I am considering it. Google translate does a passable job of many European languages but it totally mangles Arabic.

No. I suspect it would be very hard to learn the original Samoyede tribe language.

I could learn Russian and one day I would like too (currently a little too busy brushing up on my Finnish) but the country of development is England and obviously I speak English.

Lets see, Hazel the Greyhound goes back to ancient Egypt, but literature takes it back to UK - nailed that.

Sweep the Silky Terrier x Maltese. Well I already mentioned I've nailed English. Maltese, traced back to Greek and Roman literature - interesting, but no :laugh:

Ja.

Well, I did do German in high school. All that I've retained is the ability to count in German and a smattering of random words though. :o

I think that it would be useful to understand the language for the purposes you are talking about SkySoaringMagpie. Good luck, I believe Arabic is a challenging language to learn.

I have a JRT x and a poodle x maltese, so English and German, and yes, I speak both :) I don't speak Maltese, but the other official language in Malta is English, so all good.

Edited by fuzzy82

Australian Terrier ... I'm all good! :D

Trinabean -- I did German in years 7 and 8 and like you, can still count, sing the alphabet and name various animals. Oh and then there's the standard Ich bin _____ too! I would love to extend my ability but I need to find the time. :o

I'm much better at translating German from the written word as it's so very similar to English.

I did 5 years of French in high school and still know enough to understand what someone is talking about. I'm actually thinking of taking some kind of community college refresher course since we got the Brittany pup and there is a french forum which looks interesting but I don't get the finer points of :) I always planned to visit France one day as well...one of the teaching assistants/PhD students at the uni I teach at even comes from Brittany.