Nikon People

tlc

If you're going full frame anyway and don't have a lot invested in lenses etc.. I'd have to say the switch to Nikon for the D700 is worth every cent, not that I'm still super excited over my new toy or anything.. :laugh: The side by side comparison of the 5DII vs D700 when using high ISOs was pretty significantly in favour of the D700 and for shooting fast moving dogs I can't see any way the 5DII could keep up with the D700's auto focus system. The tracking is amazing. This is the video I watched that finally convinced me to switch brands. Not that I'm enabling or anything. :D

Hey, I just thought I would stick up for the auto focus on Canon :laugh: I went to the Formula 1 grand prix in March and all pro's had Canons so I suppose it cant be all that bad if they are trying to capture 320 kmph road rockets.

Funny enough, in the crowd section where I was just about everyone had a Nikon and quite a few Sony.

Edited by GregW

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny you say that Greg, I always notice at any event, most of the pros have Canon.

I guess having huge white lenses has a lot to do with getting noticed, but at this particular event they were all Canon.

It's funny you say that Greg, I always notice at any event, most of the pros have Canon.

I guess having huge white lenses has a lot to do with getting noticed, but at this particular event they were all Canon.

A lot of them probably had the 1D rather than the 5D though. ;) The 5D II is renowned for its below average auto focus system.

Well there you go, I learnt something new today, had a look at some of my F1 mags and snook is correct most are using 1D Mark IV.

Camera is $5k a pop :eek: , chump change I suppose when photographing a sport that can cost a team $200 million a year just to run!

A lot of them probably had the 1D rather than the 5D though. ;) The 5D II is renowned for its below average auto focus system.

This has been addressed in the 5D III hasn't it? and whilst not full frame, the AF on the 7D kicks ass :D

the 7D is an amazing sports action camera. I would imagine the Nikon is brilliant too, I never understand the competition between them, I kinda wish I could afford to have both just for fun. If I won Tatts I'd get some Nikon gear too. :laugh:

I love the AF on the 7D.. I went from a 400D to the 7D about a month ago and i am still in total awe of this camera...

It is definitely more camera than I will ever need as a total novice but gee it is special and I feel lucky to have it..

I love the AF on the 7D.. I went from a 400D to the 7D about a month ago and i am still in total awe of this camera...

It is definitely more camera than I will ever need as a total novice but gee it is special and I feel lucky to have it..

You made the same step up as I did, the 7D is a big jolt isn't it. :D

I'm in awe of it too.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks for the replies, can you guys with the 7D tell me what you love about it so much? I've done a lot of reading about the D7000 and found so much negative stuff, lots of good stuff too but heaps with focus issues.

Here is a few things I've read

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1709020

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=38686686

http://forums.popphoto.com/showthread.php?623415-Autofocus-Problem-with-Nikon-D7000

http://nikonites.com/d7000/2068-d7000-focus-issues.html

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d7000_users/discuss/72157625374284098/

There is 100's of threads the same on lots of different sights, most of them are 2010/2011 so I'm hoping there is some reasonable explanation as Im assuming since the camera is in production that there's problems are not valid any more.

I suppose there's lots of negative stuff about most cameras but there just seems to be a lot with this particular model. I'm hoping they have sice fixed and issues with it.

Edited by tlc

I've got the 7D and I bought it specifically to capture whippets in full flight coming at me almost straight on. There's alot of variables in getting the shot, and alot of different settings you can have the camera on, I still dont really know if I've got it right, so I have to expect alot of misses, and I have them, but when all the planets are in alignment and it gets the shot, it does so with spectacular results, well, I think so anyway, it makes me happy. :D I'm sure the Nikon equivalent would do just as well, who knows, maybe even better.

The 7D is also very good for landscape and portraiture but it's the autofocus I wanted it for.

Here's a thread mainly about photos it takes

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1154313

Edited by Kirislin

I bought the 7D because the old 400D just did not get the dogs with the auto focus - they always came out not quite right (even if it was just a paw a bit blurry or an ear).

The AF on the 7D is a million times better than on the old camera. It is better in lower light to.

It also takes video.

You can shoot in raw or jpeg.

I think, just from my experience with the 7D, that it takes better pictures than the 400D - I don't think I am any better at taking pictures but having the better camera with more setting options really makes a difference to how my pictures are turning out.

I am still working out all the settings and learning what it can do - it really is a whole lot of camera.

It came with a 15-85mm lens and I find I am actually using that one more than the 50mm 1.8 that I used to use all the time - especially when shooting the dogs.

Thanks for the input, the link has a lot of great pictures, all look so spectacular!

I've sent an email to Nikon to see what they have to say specifically about the focus issues with the D7000, I hope they reply.

Thanks for the input, the link has a lot of great pictures, all look so spectacular!

I've sent an email to Nikon to see what they have to say specifically about the focus issues with the D7000, I hope they reply.

I dont think Nikon will admit any issues ( if there are ) best to borrow or hire one to make up your own mind.

Just got the reply back from Nikon, this is what they said.

Barb,

Thanks for your enquiry. You need to keep forum comments in perspective.  If we sell 500,000 units worldwide, and 1% have a problem, then 10% of those are complained about, that is 500 complaints.  

Some of it is user error, some is normal production variations.   Buy your D7000, if you are not happy with the results send it in to ensure it is working to specification, that will only cost you inwards freight as long as it is purchased from an authorised dealer and is during the warranty period.

Regards,

Steve Castle

Customer Service Executive

NIKON AUSTRALIA PTY LTD

http://www.nikon.com.au

Email   [email protected]

Customer Service 02 8748 5222

Fax     +61 2 8748 5270

Toll Dial        7 863 228   (Internal use only)           

lol, not the most reassuring response :laugh:

I got my 7D as an upgrade to my 350D for the increased iso capabilities and the AF system amongst other things. I've never regretted it :)

I'm not so familiar with the Nikon range - it the D7000 in a similar range to the Canon xxxD series?

The 7D is comparable to the D7000 HERE is a comparison to give you an idea.

I think the response is what I expected, not much more they can say really. Like everything I guess there is good and bad. I really wanna be sure after just going through 5 months with a dodgy camera!

Yea your right, I'm probly over thinking the whole thing! :laugh: but after having trouble with my samsung and all the drama to get a resolution I'm a bit wary. Having said that, the Nikon I already had I never had a minutes trouble with it. And I think in the photo section here there was someone I'm sure it was Huga did have a problem and it may have even been with the same model as me. Like the saying goes nothing in life is perfect!