Having Never Picked A Dog Up,from Airport

katetk

Hi all

It's been a while since I have been on here :)

So tomorrow, I am picking up a new pup - excited much :thumbsup:

But, as the title says, I have never done this airport thing.

I have ready a crate, some water, small bowl, blanket, toy and obviously flight details, contact details for breeder and pick up point, the drive from airport to home is only about 40 mins max . He is flying from Vic to bris.

Anything else?

Towel was going to be the only extra I would add to the list too...maybe a seperate little bottle of water just in case pup has had an accident in flight and needs cleaning up. Enjoy!!

May I suggest a collar that cannot be backed out of ..... I have picked up each of my four dogs from the airport at various times and the one thing I have learnt is to take a martingale collar that cannot be backed out of if there is fear at some point with dog trying to run off. Good luck and all the best with the pick up.

Find out in advance where at the airport you will collect the dog from. As far as I know there are two places to collect dogs at Brisbane depending on which airline, neither is really close to the domestic terminal.

When I picked my little boy (who is not so little any more) up from the airport (also Brisbane) and arrived almost an hour ahead of time because I had no idea where I had to be.

I finally found the place and headed inside to check ... once we were sure we were in the right place we sat in the waiting room with a good book.

We seemed to be there for ages before we could hear the unmistakable cries of a puppy ... protesting for all the world to hear. The cries continued and just go louder over the next 20 minutes as the vehicle got closer and then arrived into the back section. I am sure he didn't want to be forgotten amongst the other freight.

They soon brought out a crate with the still crying puppy ... and I expected to open the door to a very cute little puppy (I had seen the photos) ... instead I was hit with the stench of something crossed between vomit and poo. The still cute puppy smelt just as bad as the crate and he was caked in it. :eek: I used the little blanket I had brought in with me (it was about 10pm and a little nippy) and wrapped him up. I took him out to the car and fitted his new harness and lead before taking him over to a grass area to allow him to toilet and drink some water.

He was then secured in his crate and we drive the 40 min home … with the windows down (crate was covered with a blanket) and our heads out the window as the smell was just awful.

I had rung a friend from the airport and asked him to go over to my house and fill up the hydro-bath and start the water heating … and at 11pm that night he was bathed. We had to scrap some of the caked on stuff off him as even the hydro-bath wasn’t removing it.

He was then bundled up in towels and taken inside in front of the fire place where he was completely towelled dry. He was then placed into his crate (which was already set up in the lounge room with lots of blankets to snuggle up into) where he was given food, water (in the crate) and later toileted … and I slept on the floor beside him that night.

He went to his first vet appointment the next morning … he was a little dehydrated but otherwise in good health. It wasn’t until later that day when I advised his breeder that I found out he was without water for around 6 hrs from the time they dropped him off until the time he arrived at the airport for me to collect.

Hi all

It's been a while since I have been on here :)

So tomorrow, I am picking up a new pup - excited much :thumbsup:

But, as the title says, I have never done this airport thing.

I have ready a crate, some water, small bowl, blanket, toy and obviously flight details, contact details for breeder and pick up point, the drive from airport to home is only about 40 mins max . He is flying from Vic to bris.

Anything else?

You probably won't see this in time, but DNATA (toll air)at Brisbane Airport is where live cargo comes in it is in chorlis St on right as you head down the OLD airport drive, you have to take the international exit go round roundabout onto Nancy bird way then veer left down old airport drive stay in right lane until you see street on right, can't miss it on your left once in entrance. Make sure you have ID as they usually only give live cargo out when travelling with passenger when you produce your ticket, but if collecting you need to have ID very important. Takes around 20 minutes after plane lands until unload and they come to depot. Good Luck :)

I am flying out with my 2 dogs on Thursday and hardest thing is to have to off load baby 90 mins pre flight and then take service dog away from her to go on board with me, she is totally attached to him now. I am sure I will hear her howling from down below all the way to our destination :(

Edited by zeebie

Don't stuff around at the airport.

Photo's & the likes can be done at home.

It is a very noisy place with alot of activity & you are strangers,People have lost dogs when picking up because they have been to slack .

Chances are pup isn't lead trained so walking wont be that simple.

We just pick pups up & leave the sooner we get home the better

I'm delighted for you. I know what it's like to be expecting a new dog to fly in to Brisbane airport.

But what I do is to arrange with the pet transport company to do the pick-up at the airport and deliver the dog to our home.

It costs a bit more but I do it because the pet transport people have it all down pat...

When our first tibbie flew up from Canberra, the pet van transport man phoned me to say we should be able to see the plane, right then, doing a turn to land at the airport. So we all stood out in the backyard and watched our lovely new girl's Qantas flight come in.

Enjoy cuddling your new baby! :)

Holy cow, Tilly! That sounds a bit eep, glad there were no icky dramas with Hugo..

I picked him up from the JetPets depo place a while away from the airport, there was nobody there except for me and my friend and he was just snapping photos of me and the various stages of delirium I went through in the lead up to getting my Hugo. Nobody asked me for ID or anything, they just asked me who I was here for and I told them mine was an 8-week-old pup from NSW and they went out back and brought out my little raccoon in a crate :laugh: :love:

He was a bit smelly, he had probably wet himself a bit in the crate during the flight up; we put his collar on and let him have a bit of a wee on the grass outside, a little drink from the water bucket we took from his crate and then I just had him on my lap (on a thick towel) the whole drive home. He was very calm and docile, sleepy more than anything and just wanted a cuddle.

Hm, doesn't sound like we were very prepared but you know he was a good puppy, he didn't wee or poop on my lap and slept the whole ride home :)

Oh Katetk, I'm so jealous that you get to experience that euphoria all over again, I can hardly wait until I get my next Vallhund (once I've moved out of home) to feel those stomach butterflies once more on the drive to the airport :love: How exciting!!

I'm glad that you have your new pup safe and sound. :)

But it really worries me when airport staff don't ask for ID - really anybody who knew your name and the breed of the pup could have absconded with him.:mad

Ruralpug, I agree - I was horrified when I picked Jazz up as a baby that they did not ask for any ID at all. I got there before her fight and said I was waiting on a pu from Sydney. I dont think i ever even said the breed, when they came in they just handed her over to me. They were more worried that I opened the crate in the building and she might pee on the floor than who was and if I had the right pup.

Also when I flew to Sydney for the Border Collie Nationals there were quite a few Border Collies coming in from all around the country. At the time we arrived to pick ours up there were at least another 2 groups waiting and they did not ask for ID at all, could have picked myself a new dog had I wanted!

I'm glad that you have your new pup safe and sound. :)

But it really worries me when airport staff don't ask for ID - really anybody who knew your name and the breed of the pup could have absconded with him.:mad

Or even less than that--they didn't ask for my name, or the breed. I assume they only had one puppy "out back" which is why they didn't need to verify.. Glad nobody evil decided to try their luck on the day I picked up Hugo and randomly ask the staff for a puppy that arrived that morning :laugh:

I found they didn't ask me for my name, ID or even the breed - which I was concerned about at the time.

They did ask me "is this your pup" to which I responded "you tell me" ... they probably figured if I was willing to take the noisy pup then good luck.