Six Year Old Girl Mauled By 6 Dogs

Perth Now link

A SIX-year-old girl was "a screaming ball of sand and blood" as she was being mauled by six dogs at a Baldivis property on Friday, her father said today.

Maya, six, was with her father Bruce Wicksteed when the attack happened on Friday afternoon. Mr Wicksteed was visiting a neighbour when his daughter was set upon by three bull Arab mastiffs and three domestic dogs.

Mr Wicksteed said that at first he did not realise his daughter was being attacked until he heard her screams.

The owner of the property was laying down on the ground - six dogs were aggressively just going for it, trying to get underneath him and then I realised I could hear her screaming - I realised Maya was underneath them, Mr Wicksteed told the media today.

Maya was a screaming ball of sand and blood. Police later told me she had been dragged over a 40 metre area.

In an act that Mr Wicksteed said saved his daughters life, his neighbour jumped on top of the dogs and held them down to free Maya. Then, Mr Wicksteed grabbed her and ran towards the propertys house only to have the dogs chase after them.

As we got closer to the door, I was just praying that it was unlocked, he said. I got there, the door was unlocked, just as the dogs arrived behind me.

I slammed the door on them as they were jumping up.

The young girl suffered horrific facial injuries in the savage attack and is recovering at Princess Margaret Hospital after undergoing cosmetic surgery over the weekend. She is in stable condition today.

A hospital spokeswoman said today Maya was in a stable condition and was doing quite well.

The three bull Arab-mastiffs, which have been voluntarily surrendered to the Rockingham pound, are believed to have lived on the property and used for pig hunting.

Mr Wicksteed said he wanted dog laws changed to include bull Arab mastiffs as a classified dangerous dog.

They are a killing machine - if a dog can't differentiate between a pig and a little girl, there's an issue, he said.

Rockingham Mayor Barry Sammels said yesterday that the council was investigating the attack.

Police are also helping with the investigation. The investigation will determine whether the owner should be prosecuted, if the dogs should be destroyed or whether they be returned to the owner.

Edited by Burkes